Quantum Micro Reverse

All discussions about 1:18 scale and up electric offroad RCs.
trekbikedude
bitThug

Quantum Micro Reverse

Post by trekbikedude »

Ok, I have a mini t pro chassis which is awesome. Bearings aluminum knuckles, the whole nine yards. It has a Quantum Micro Reverse ESC. Thing is I just had the commutator on the motor trued and put new brushes in. I hit the throttle all the way down and the car won't go. But if I give it a little push, the car takes off.

What's wrong with my esc/motor? The motor I have is a cobalt 16 turn motor, it is trinity racing.

Thanks for any help,

John
SHAUN
bitDisciple

Post by SHAUN »

Will that speed control handle a 16t motor?
1000+ post of BS.
sg219
bitPimp

Post by sg219 »

It goes fine after a little push?

Maybe a slightly to tight of a gear mesh?

Maybe the timing is a bit off? Reset it back to zero.
trekbikedude
bitThug

timing..

Post by trekbikedude »

ok how do I set the timing, there used to be a little sticker on the motor with these degrees things and I know that's the timing but I took the little sticker off. Is there a reference besides that sticker to set the timing? Like 0 degrees?
SHAUN
bitDisciple

Post by SHAUN »

some cans have the marks pressed into them.
1000+ post of BS.
sg219
bitPimp

Post by sg219 »

I was just talking to CrazyDave about timing the other day. Here is a quote from him. I saved it. Its good info.
CrazyDave wrote:Its pretty simple. Timing is the relation of the alignment of the brushes on the comm, in comparison to the alignment of the arm and magnets. When the timing is set at 0 the brush is making full contact with the comm plate, when the face of the arm is fully aligned with the magnet, giving the most power available. Advancing the timing will cause the brush to overlap on to the next comm plate, you lose some power, but that increases speed. Reverse the timing into negative numbers, and the motor will run in reverse, but I think ideally for a crawler I want to run the timing at 0, and reverse the motor wires.
Hope that helps a bit. :-o
trekbikedude
bitThug

Post by trekbikedude »

so if my motor will not go at first until I push it, which way should I turn the timing plates (little silver rings inside of motor)?
betty.k
bitPimp

Post by betty.k »

did you break the motor in first? :???:
i used to be cool
BilboBaggins
bitHobbit

Post by BilboBaggins »

One of the worse things that can cause what you are saying is dead spot on armature/Commutator.
Sitting at my workbench in my comfortable little Hobbit hole.
crazydave
bitPimp

Post by crazydave »

You want to turn the end bell. There should be some kind of indent, or something to indicate 0 degrees. If you put the endbell on 180 degrees in the wrong direction, it'll reverse the motor and timing, same as switching the wires. Note on this one the vents line up with 0.
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wt ... LXLZG3&P=7

On nearly every motor I've seen the indent that holds the retaining ring in marks zero. Lets see a pic of your motor, maybe I can spot something.

And are you sure that's what kind of motor it is? I got a Trinity Termination Machine mod in my Mini-T, I thought that was the hottest mod 280 motor Trinity made for mini cars. Its my understanding the Cobalt motors are 1/10th scale 550 motors. :???:
...crazy man, crazy...dig it.
crazydave's Gallery
Ratfink says: "Man, it's the craziest"
BilboBaggins
bitHobbit

Post by BilboBaggins »

Also check to see that the wires to the comm weren't damaged (knocked off) during the truing process.
trekbikedude
bitThug

well,

Post by trekbikedude »

the timing seems to be lined up with the indents but there are four of them on the motor. Maybe I'll fiddle around with that tonight and if that doesn't work, I'll just buy new armature. And the motor is a trinity cobalt 180 16 turn. I had the comm trued by the local hobby shop owner, so I'm pretty sure he trued it correctly.
crazydave
bitPimp

Re: well,

Post by crazydave »

trekbikedude wrote:the timing seems to be lined up with the indents but there are four of them on the motor. Maybe I'll fiddle around with that tonight and if that doesn't work, I'll just buy new armature. And the motor is a trinity cobalt 180 16 turn. I had the comm trued by the local hobby shop owner, so I'm pretty sure he trued it correctly.
Yeah, people make mistakes though. I can tell you a story, but... anyways, just throwing that out there because it was brought up. 16 turns is pretty hot, is over geared maybe? You know you have to drop a few teeth on your pinion with a hotter motor. I have the Trinity's Monster Termination, its 22 turns, and I thought it ran a little hot with 14 tooth pinion, so I think I have 13, maybe a 12.

16 turns would be way hot, I would guess you'd need something in the 9-tooth range.

I would like to see your motor, because there is no such motor on Trinity's website:
http://www.teamtrinity.com/shop/motors.html#

Is this something new out? Because I can't find one anywhere, and I'm curious.
...crazy man, crazy...dig it.
crazydave's Gallery
Ratfink says: "Man, it's the craziest"
trekbikedude
bitThug

no

Post by trekbikedude »

actually, its not that new it could be 18 turn, either way that mini t is speedin with my 1400 mah matched cells. The motor has a blue case, I'll try to find pics somewhere on the internet. And it is not over geared, because if I take the motor out of the truck and hit the throttle the motor won't move unless I give it a push-spin, kinda like a twirl.

http://www.teamtrinity.com/newproducts/cobalt18.html

there's the site and that's the motor, it's 16 turn.
BilboBaggins
bitHobbit

Post by BilboBaggins »

Check the gaps in the comm. Sometimes the trueing can leave metal shavings in the gaps and possible give it a short. Make sure the gaps are clean.