Axial AX-10 Scorpion

All discussions about 1:18 scale and up electric offroad RCs.
supergroup_crawler
bitThug

Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Post by supergroup_crawler »

After watching the roller build up on RCCrawler, I ordered one. I would have liked to build one up from scratch but I got to doing parts lists for all the different style crawlers with pricing and it was going to be a long and drawn out affair.

I know it's largely (almost completely) unknown how they will perform stock, but with the kit I believe you get a pretty good base for customization at a pretty damn good price. I estimate that I will hit the rocks many months sooner than I would have going the scratch build route. I just hope it's not a piece of shit!

Are any of you guys looking at these? What are your thoughts?
Last edited by supergroup_crawler on Thu Aug 02, 2007 11:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
SHAUN
bitDisciple

Post by SHAUN »

I think they are good. I'm ordering one also. I have also ordered just the parts to build the chassis.
1000+ post of BS.
supergroup_crawler
bitThug

SHAUN wrote:I think they are good. I'm ordering one also. I have also ordered just the parts to build the chassis.
I thought about just ordering the axles and tranny but you got $150 right there. For an extra $100 you get a chassis, links, driveshafts, metal yokes, beadlocks and tires, a B-17 body... not to mention the fact that it comes with factory tranny and dif lockers as well as all the bearings.

I know fabrication is half the fun, but damn that's a good deal. I am sure I will get my fair share of fabing when I start snapping shit on it.

That green is pimp too!

:eek:
Bird
bitPimp

Post by Bird »

Part of me wants to just get a set of the axles and use those with the K2 chassis/Traxxas tranny combo I've been sittin' on...

Another part of me wants to sell off a bunch of my dust collecting 1/10ths and throw down for the whole kit...
crazydave
bitPimp

Post by crazydave »

I was looking at those when I got the WK. I thought it might be a little cheaper to start off with the WK, besides I didn't want to wait another month for the release, but when it all comes together I think it balances out to about the same, and I would have put better electrics in the Axial kit. Then when you factor in the price of a set of Axial wheels and tires the kit seems like a bargain.

I just keep looking at the Power Wagon looking "B-12 Betty" body, and all the green alloy and thinking SG needs one of these. :???:
...crazy man, crazy...dig it.
crazydave's Gallery
Ratfink says: "Man, it's the craziest"
sg219
bitPimp

Post by sg219 »

crazydave wrote: I just keep looking at the Power Wagon looking "B-12 Betty" body, and all the green alloy and thinking SG needs one of these. :???:
Oh hell ya. I've been drooling ever since I saw the first pics of it months ago!!

The green aluminum is sweet!!! :cool:
BilboBaggins
bitHobbit

Post by BilboBaggins »

Bird wrote:Part of me wants to just get a set of the axles and use those with the K2 chassis/Traxxas tranny combo I've been sittin' on...

Another part of me wants to sell off a bunch of my dust collecting 1/10ths and throw down for the whole kit...
I think I see a listing of Bird's old cars in the near future.
Sitting at my workbench in my comfortable little Hobbit hole.
Bird
bitPimp

Post by Bird »

BilboBaggins wrote:I think I see a listing of Bird's old cars in the near future.
Soon as I can get my hands on a camera :-)

*my kids busted my damn camera
BilboBaggins
bitHobbit

Post by BilboBaggins »

Bird wrote:Soon as I can get my hands on a camera :-)

*my kids busted my damn camera
My camera is at the factory being serviced again under recall. I own one of the hundreds of models that had a poorly contructed CCD (the part was made by a company that rhymes with PONY.)

BTW: If your camera has purple or green lines in the image while looking thought the vf/lcd (or no image or washed out in sunlight) it probably has a bad CCD unit. Several companies have recalls that mean a No Charge (except for shipping to them) repair. I have a list on my desk at work.
Sitting at my workbench in my comfortable little Hobbit hole.
SHAUN
bitDisciple

Post by SHAUN »

Sony sucks ass, Anything I have owned that Sony has made has been junk.
1000+ post of BS.
supergroup_crawler
bitThug

Exactly what I thought. It's awesome. It obviously needs some tricks performed on it. Not bad for straight out of the box... no mods.
[YouTube]http://youtube.com/watch?v=AwEwsH_5b7U[/YouTube]
frizzen
bitDisciple

Post by frizzen »

:eek: The Axial is finally out?!?!?

Now the toughest question of all is do I want this or a WK more???
Jack of all trades, master of none; yet often better than master of one.
-
End genital mutilation, don't circumcise. Restore your fore'
SHAUN
bitDisciple

Post by SHAUN »

The axial.
1000+ post of BS.
crazydave
bitPimp

Post by crazydave »

supergroup_crawler wrote:Not bad for straight out of the box... no mods.
Almost no mods. :lol:

From RCCrawler.com:
The only 2 things that aren't stock in the video are the tires and battery. The tires are the sticky version of the Rock Lizards, and we ran either a six cell 2/3a pack or lipo on the front links/axle. Everything else is bone stock, with no weight added anywhere.
...crazy man, crazy...dig it.
crazydave's Gallery
Ratfink says: "Man, it's the craziest"
supergroup_crawler
bitThug

crazydave wrote:
supergroup_crawler wrote:Not bad for straight out of the box... no mods.
Almost no mods. :lol:

From RCCrawler.com:
The only 2 things that aren't stock in the video are the tires and battery. The tires are the sticky version of the Rock Lizards, and we ran either a six cell 2/3a pack or lipo on the front links/axle. Everything else is bone stock, with no weight added anywhere.
After seeing what you have to do to make a Clod, TLT or Wheely King into a viable crawler.... I would hardly call batteries, spring spacers and different tires a modification. lol.

I doubt that anyone will run the batteries in the stock location. Even though he's got diff tires on there, there was no weight added to the wheels and no foam mods either. Pretty cool either way.