SS-M 1/28 diff?

All discussions about 1:18 scale and up electric offroad RCs.
frizzen
bitDisciple

SS-M 1/28 diff?

Post by frizzen »

I tore my Blue 1/28 Superslicks Monster apart today to adjust the rear axle shaft lengths. They were set wrong from the factory so the rear wheels were sloppy, my red one was good so I knew it wasn't just bad design.

Anyway, once I was into the rear pod and had the original problem fixed, I decided to pull the Rear Diff open just to take a look. Pretty generic gear diff, 2 large bevel gears and a carrier for 3 spider gears. But mine only had 2 spiders installed. Is this normal, or did I just get a "Special" diff? Not sure if I should care that it's light on parts, or if I should just say "Diff? We don't need no stinkin' diff!" and just lock the bastard.

Overall it's pretty straight forward to open up the 1/28 SS-M; but you do have to clearance a tiny bit out of the case to push out a pin, and there's a screw that's pretty well hidden.

Are there any documented performance mods (crawler or otherwise) for the large SS-M? I know there was a LOT of love for the 1/43's but can't find much of anything people have done to these.
Jack of all trades, master of none; yet often better than master of one.
-
End genital mutilation, don't circumcise. Restore your fore'
frizzen
bitDisciple

Post by frizzen »

Today I tore into the front axle just for the hell of it. It also is missing one of the 3 spider gears in that diff. I moved one of the rear differentials spider gears up front and right now I'm waiting on epoxy to cure in my rear diff.

Damn I feel like a newb, this is the first diff I've locked.

Are the front and rear differentials in these normally loaded with too few gears, or did I just get a Monday/Friday rig?
Jack of all trades, master of none; yet often better than master of one.
-
End genital mutilation, don't circumcise. Restore your fore'
dogbreathracing
bitPlaya'

Post by dogbreathracing »

the ssmt 1/24 originally came with three gears in each diff....I had one of the original batch, after the initial run they went to two gears per diff...probably to save money (think about it, leave one gear out of each diff and save 33%)....anyways that's the way they come, two gears seems strong enough to handle what this truck has to offer.
R/C Crash Test Dummy