Who let the smoke out? Who? Who? Viper RV15

All discussions about 1:18 scale and up electric offroad RCs.
frizzen
bitDisciple

Who let the smoke out? Who? Who? Viper RV15

Post by frizzen »

Yeah... I let the magic smoke out of an Mtroniks Viper RV15 today.

I charged up one of my old 1500 mah NiCad sport pack, dropped it into the truck, the servo centered and the motor started making some noise like I needed to reset the neutral point, within a couple seconds smoke was pouring out of my esc, I yanked the deans plug as fast as I could, but it's definately FUBAR. The Positive input wire desoldered itself and completely ejected itself from the esc. With what happened, I'm thinking it managed a deadshort somewhere inside the potted electronics. I'll grab a pic when I find the camera.

The mtroniks Limited Warranty looks like it probably will NOT be willing to help me since I swapped from a Tamiya connector to a Deans Ultra, yes I had the polarity right on all parts concerned.
"Mtroniks Ltd. guarantee this product to be free from factory defects for 24 months from purchase date, verified by reciepts. This does not cover... ...alteration to original connectors, switches, or wires (apart from the fitting of an in-line fuse)..."

So, should I even bother trying to contact mtronics about a possible warranty claim, or am I just fucked and out $40 + shipping?
Jack of all trades, master of none; yet often better than master of one.
-
End genital mutilation, don't circumcise. Restore your fore'
BilboBaggins
bitHobbit

Post by BilboBaggins »

Either put the old plugs back on (if you have them) or fight them on it.
Sitting at my workbench in my comfortable little Hobbit hole.
sidewinder
bitProphet

Post by sidewinder »

It can't hurt to try. Like Groucho Marx used to say: You don't gets if ya' don't asks...
The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities. - Ayn Rand
sg219
bitPimp

Post by sg219 »

sidewinder wrote:It can't hurt to try. Like Groucho Marx used to say: You don't gets if ya' don't asks...
I'd try. What's the worst that can happen?
frizzen
bitDisciple

Post by frizzen »

Who wants to see some Carnage?!?!!

The red wire used to live in the hole inboard of the yellow wire, and all those little shiney dot things aft of the ESC are balls of solder it sprayed forth while the magic smoke was escaping.

I don't think I can recrimp crappy Tamiya connectors back on convincingly enough but like you said I'll have to try and see how much proof of a bad esc they want.
-
frizzen
bitDisciple

Post by frizzen »

more talking to myself...

Yesterday I was reading on another forum about some Novak Rooster Crawler problems, and the novak employed guy on the board said they will waranty their stuff despite a swapped plug if it wasn't a fubar hack-job.
In light of that, I finally sent off a message to Mtroniks, explained what happened, told them about the plug swap, and asked how limited their limited warranty really is on some issues.

The Mtroniks reply:
Hi,

If you return your ESC we will certainly take a look at it for you!
We are usually quite lenient on the connector issue!

Regards,
Paul
Mtroniks Ltd.

Hopefully when they take a look at it, I won't loose the deans ultra or the recciever power cable I had to install on it.
-
ibjamn
bitDisciple

Post by ibjamn »

That's good.
More than likely, if they end up sending you another, you'll loose the plugs. Generally, companies will send you a refurb instead of repairing that actual unit. But, hopefully they'll take care of ya. :smile:
sg219
bitPimp

Post by sg219 »

Thats cool that they'll take care of that for you. :-o
frizzen
bitDisciple

Post by frizzen »

They did hook me up with a new RV-15. Downside is I lost my Deans Ultra and the Rx power harness, not sure if they forgot it or if it was lost due to customs opening package.

Guess I'm going to the hobby shop for connectors, wonder if I'll be able to resist getting a lower turn mod motor...
-
SHAUN
bitDisciple

Post by SHAUN »

Glad to here they got you taken care of.

I'm Tekin and Novak for life :-o
1000+ post of BS.
frizzen
bitDisciple

Post by frizzen »

They took care of me pretty well. International shipping is not so good though. If you're gonna have something break, try and have their headquarters be domestic.

SHAUN wrote:I'm Tekin and Novak for life :-o
Uh, weren't you all about Ford like TWO months ago, and now your sig is pony-bashing? :lol: Maybe that *for life* is a bit strong...
-
BilboBaggins
bitHobbit

Post by BilboBaggins »

SHAUN wrote:I'm Tekin and Novak for life :-o
frizzen wrote:Uh, weren't you all about Ford like TWO months ago, and now your sig is pony-bashing? :lol: Maybe that *for life* is a bit strong...
Maybe he has finally seen the light (of his 1987 Monte Carlo Aero Coupe) and figured out that Ford stands for Fix Or Repair Daily. :grin:
Sitting at my workbench in my comfortable little Hobbit hole.