Going to some big rocks

All discussions about 1:18 scale and up electric offroad RCs.
crazydave
bitPimp

Going to some big rocks

Post by crazydave »

So I somehow managed to get myself trapped into a picnic with my Mom and Grandmother in a couple weeks. Recognizing an opportunity to get out with my Wheely King I suggested Papago park, because I knew crawlers gather there.

I just wanted to share a few vids I found on YouTube of crawlers at Papago park. Looks like some pretty gnarly terrain. Should be interesting what a modified WK can do. Since I got my wife roped in too, I'll have my camera person along.

[YouTube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6qU5ZNO75Dk[/YouTube]

[YouTube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l88V4n9HmKs[/YouTube]

Search "PARC Comp" and you'll find a lot more vids there.
...crazy man, crazy...dig it.
crazydave's Gallery
Ratfink says: "Man, it's the craziest"
Bird
bitPimp

Post by Bird »

Looks like an awesome spot for sure... you'll definitely find your trucks strengths and weaknesses there... can't wait to see the pics.
hogjowlz
bitPimp

Post by hogjowlz »

aint that dude's treads backwards?
SHAUN
bitDisciple

Post by SHAUN »

Yes, it gives better traction on the rocks and on ledges.
1000+ post of BS.
crazydave
bitPimp

Post by crazydave »

Yeah, I've found running my M2ks backwards gives me more bite on the rocks, but my problem is my rear tires are always falling in the dirt areas between the rocks, so I run mine with the front reversed and the rear normal, but I think I will be running all my tires backwards out there. I'm gonna stick more weight in my wheels too. Wish I had time to build a custom chassis with more ground clearance before I went out there. :lol:
crazydave's Gallery
crazydave
bitPimp

Post by crazydave »

Finally got out there today. Our little trip was postponed last week. I had a blast. My poor Wheely King took a beating. It took several 10ft falls. Broke 3 times. Broke a ball joint the first time. Pulled the 4-40 rod out of ball joint the second time. Then snapped a 4-40 rod off in the ball joint, that one ended my day early. I'm thinking I might upgrade to some 6-32 rod, and some Dubro ball joints, but I'm kinda thinking something is gonna break if it falls 10ft, maybe I want to keep the weak link inexpensive and readily available for now.

I tried to use my mom as a camera person, but she was horrible. Focusing on my kid or my grandpa's feet most the time. The batteries went dead, and corrupted the biggest chunk of it. So I don't have much to make a video out of, but I'll edit a few clips together for you guys to see.

I was so frustrated because there was this one spot I was playing that was nearly impossible for me, but I could see a line zig zagging up. My mom had wandered away with my camera, and it took me like 20 tries when I finally got it, then I negotiated this narrow ledge back down, when I hear, "Oh there he is." :roll:
Then I tried over and over while the camera was running, the batteries died, I said, "Oh now I'm gonna get it." So I did, the very next try. :shock: :mad:

So yeah, I had a blast. We're supposed to do it again soon. I'd like to meet up with some crawlers in my area, but for now I'm happy hanging out with my family. :lol:

This is the only picture I snapped. I should've grabbed a couple of the truck on the rocks.

crazydave's Gallery
SHAUN
bitDisciple

Post by SHAUN »

That is so awesome. I would love to go there.
1000+ post of BS.
crazydave
bitPimp

Post by crazydave »

Yeah, its a recreation spot next to the zoo, called "Hole in the Rock". They're so clever with the names out here. :lol:

Well here's all I got for video. Not much, but you'll get just a taste of the abuse I gave my truck today.

http://crazydavegraphics.com/images/wk1.wmv
crazydave's Gallery
sidewinder
bitProphet

Post by sidewinder »

Oh now I remember, the dust, the warm dry looking surroundings, Papago...that's in Arizona right? I knew I'd herd the name before but couldn't quite place it. I think that's the place (near Phenoix?) where we stopped for the afternoon when my ex and I went on vacation to the Grand Canyon... I loved Arizona, I shoulda' pushed the bicth over the canyon while we were there, but, all in all, they're mostly good memories.

I'll bet you could hide a body pretty well in the desert huh? :???: Maybe I'll have to see if she wants to reconcile, then I'll caome out that way for vacation :???: I'll just need you to scout some really remote locations for...uhm...uhm...a rustic hike...yeah! that's what we'll call it :twisted:
The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities. - Ayn Rand
crazydave
bitPimp

Post by crazydave »

Technically it is Phoenix, but its right on the border where things get blurry. A few steps in either direction and you could be in Tempe or Scottsdale.

Funny things about bodies and the desert. They find dead bodies out there all the time, its the live ones that get lost. :lol:
crazydave's Gallery
Bird
bitPimp

Post by Bird »

sweeet. way better than that river rock crap ya been playin on huh?
frizzen
bitDisciple

Post by frizzen »

Ofcourse they find bodies all the time, they're easier to find than the live ones. They don't keep walking off while you look!

Beautiful area, looks like it'd be a lot of fun to take a crawler!
Jack of all trades, master of none; yet often better than master of one.
-
End genital mutilation, don't circumcise. Restore your fore'
sg219
bitPimp

Post by sg219 »

Looks like a great place. Tons of room and rock!
SuperFly
bitPimp

Post by SuperFly »

Did you see Wile E. Coyote out there? That looks like his stomping grounds. Watch out for any piles of free bird seed, it's a trap!
CaboWabo
Site Admin

Post by CaboWabo »

SuperFly wrote:... free bird ...
Woooweee! Play some Skynyrd! :lol:
Dear Life Cereal, Where do you get off? Part of a balanced breakfast and delicious? Who do you think you are? By now you may have guessed I'm speaking ironically and have nothing but good things to say about what you do. Life cereal do not change a thing.