WIP: crawler build

All discussions about 1:18 scale and up electric offroad RCs.
Murdoch
bitDisciple

WIP: crawler build

Post by Murdoch »

okay.. after sitting on the sidelines and trying out a buddy's crawler a few times, I've caught the bug. Will I buy an axial? hell no. Coldzilla? LOL you're kidding right? Anything?

well...

just some TLT axles, the R2 silver tranny, portal axles and possibly punisher shafts.

The chassis.. I'm gonna fab that bad boy using brake line. I also picked up a caliper for measuring the lengths of the line.

Those two pulleys are going to be used for a miniature pipe bender.

This is the terrain I'm going to be testing the truck on.
guerd87
bitPlaya'

Post by guerd87 »

awsome! this crawler bug has bitten deep and im loving it

im working on a scale car atm

just bent some thin rhs into chassis shape and ve sliced it down the guts to produce 2 equal chassis rails

ordering some leaf springs for it this week and then just see how it goes from then on
sidewinder
bitProphet

Post by sidewinder »

I love home made stuff, especialy tools, but trust me on this one, it will go a lot easier and you'll get more accurate bends if you just spend $7.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/d ... umber=3755

The bend angle is marked on the side. Of course ths assumes your useing 3/8 brake line. I'm sure you can build a bender but these work pretty well. Just a thought.
The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities. - Ayn Rand
crazydave
bitPimp

Post by crazydave »

Holy crap, you got some cool rocks to play on! :eek:
...crazy man, crazy...dig it.
crazydave's Gallery
Ratfink says: "Man, it's the craziest"
SHAUN
bitDisciple

Post by SHAUN »

You want a handheld bender like he posted. If you plan on doing any comps at all spend the extra little bit and get the R2 with dig.
1000+ post of BS.
Murdoch
bitDisciple

Post by Murdoch »

I considered a bender like that when I was getting my bits, 'winder... Thing is, the bends that tool makes is going to be too large.

That's why I picked up a set of rope pulleys, because I know I can make tighter bends with them.
sg219
bitPimp

Post by sg219 »

Where are those rocks? I wanna crawl them!!
Murdoch
bitDisciple

Post by Murdoch »

Sechelt, BC. Sunshine coast.

dude it would be awesome if ya came up and hit em. we got tons of space for RC stuff. tennis courts for drifting, those and a lot more other rocks for crawling, huge open fields for planes and helis.. and a protected inlet for boats.
sidewinder
bitProphet

Post by sidewinder »

Murdoch wrote:I considered a bender like that when I was getting my bits, 'winder... Thing is, the bends that tool makes is going to be too large.

That's why I picked up a set of rope pulleys, because I know I can make tighter bends with them.
That makes sense, when you get it worked out post some pics, like I said, I love home made stuff.
The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities. - Ayn Rand
sg219
bitPimp

Post by sg219 »

You mean allllllllll the way out here!! :shock:

The long road ahead!

Damn that a long way to go crawl some rocks. One of these days I WILL make it out west!!
Last edited by sg219 on Fri Oct 19, 2007 11:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Murdoch
bitDisciple

Post by Murdoch »

haha yea.. man that's a distance. Personally, i'd just jump on the train. Pittsburgh to Detroit, jump to Windsor and you're done.
BilboBaggins
bitHobbit

Post by BilboBaggins »

Heck. I have to add another 300+ miles to that trip for me.

Extremely long road trip

I guess I'll have to hit the lottery and build a course behind he hobby shop I want to open with the money.
Sitting at my workbench in my comfortable little Hobbit hole.
Murdoch
bitDisciple

Post by Murdoch »

woo more content!

I got the line bender built. I chopped off a length of brake line that's about six inches or so, give or take. threw it in the bender and made four bends. If I had to do those by hand, they would be nothing short of impossible.

SHAUN
bitDisciple

Post by SHAUN »

That is awesome.
1000+ post of BS.
sidewinder
bitProphet

Post by sidewinder »

It looks like it makes great bends, How about a pic or video of it in action? I'm having trouble picturing it work with the "rollers' that far apart...obviously it does real nice bends...I'm just trying to figgure out why it doesnt kink. Anyway, nice job.