my ax10 scorpion

All discussions about 1:18 scale and up electric offroad RCs.
45tr0
bitNinja

my ax10 scorpion

Post by 45tr0 »

Well, i know i said this would stay in the box until i've moved, but i was up late the other night doing not very much and thought that i would just open it up to "have a look" - yeah right.

This was my first non-RTR truck, but by sunrise i had the axles and linkages together, and by lunchtime it was done. Electronics are of course, pending, but what the hell, at least it's together now.

As for the body, I've had this one for a while, and it was actually the motivating factor to get the ax10 - it was begging to be used.

I will probably get a set of 1.9's for the sake of scale and to reduce the rubbing of the front wheels on the front bumper. For now I've limited the artic. at the front slightly by shifting the suspension to the innermost mount.

This truck will hopefully have dual personalities by the time i'm done with it- this body, 1.9's and a 40-45t motor as a semi-scale trail rig; and a 55t, 2.2's and the b17 body for more serious rockwork.

Anyone heard any reports as to how the ax10 serves as a trail rig?

And one last one, just to represent!
"You guys are Wack"
"Wiggity Wack?"
"Nope, just regular kind"
crazydave
bitPimp

Post by crazydave »

That's cool. What is that body? Kinda looks like a Toyota to me, but something looks different. I was kinda wondering if it was some kind of Australian thing.
...crazy man, crazy...dig it.
crazydave's Gallery
Ratfink says: "Man, it's the craziest"
SHAUN
bitDisciple

Post by SHAUN »

Looks really good. I like that body.

Good job :-o
1000+ post of BS.
evoraptor
bitNinja

Post by evoraptor »

Nice, however I think 1.9's will look awfully small on that rig.

Nice to have you back 45.
ibjamn
bitDisciple

Post by ibjamn »

Yeah, It kinda looks like an Amigo meets with a Toyota. Very Cool.
Can't beat the one of a kind bodys that no one else has seen before.

I think that 1.9's would look great, if the body was lower.
sidewinder
bitProphet

Post by sidewinder »

I'm thinking it looks like a late 80's early 90's Isuzu short bed pick-up, Dodge sold a version in the 80's think but I cant remember the name.
The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities. - Ayn Rand
BilboBaggins
bitHobbit

Post by BilboBaggins »

sidewinder wrote:I'm thinking it looks like a late 80's early 90's Isuzu short bed pick-up, Dodge sold a version in the 80's think but I cant remember the name.
Chevy sold the Isuzu, the Dodge Ram 50 was a Mitsubishi.
Sitting at my workbench in my comfortable little Hobbit hole.
45tr0
bitNinja

Post by 45tr0 »

thanks guys - the body came from an old nitro kit - the kyosho nitro brute. I think it's meant to be a mid '90s nissan of some sort, but it was really the roll bar and wing mirrors that sold me.

and yeah, if i do go for 1.9's i know they will look a little small, but i'll also be removing a little bit of height as i go.

can't wait til the electrics come in
"You guys are Wack"
"Wiggity Wack?"
redrustbucket
bitGangsta'

Post by redrustbucket »

Sweet. I'll just pretend the body's a Toyota. :wink:
The devil made me do it the first time, the second time I done it on my own...
tlca # 14622
sidewinder
bitProphet

Post by sidewinder »

BilboBaggins wrote:
sidewinder wrote:I'm thinking it looks like a late 80's early 90's Isuzu short bed pick-up, Dodge sold a version in the 80's think but I cant remember the name.
Chevy sold the Isuzu, the Dodge Ram 50 was a Mitsubishi.
Yeah that sounds right, was the Isuzu the Chevy LUV (little utility vehicle)? I do remember now one Dodge/Mistsubishi, the Raider. I always wanted one, it was the only passenger truck I ever saw that had a sprung seat like a semi's.

I was pretty sure it wasn't a Toyota pickup because the bed wasn't rusted away :-)
The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities. - Ayn Rand
SHAUN
bitDisciple

Post by SHAUN »

sidewinder wrote:
I was pretty sure it wasn't a Toyota pickup because the bed wasn't rusted away :-)

The mans got jokes.
1000+ post of BS.
redrustbucket
bitGangsta'

Post by redrustbucket »

sidewinder wrote:I was pretty sure it wasn't a Toyota pickup because the bed wasn't rusted away :-)
They designed them to do that to save weight after they realized they way overbuilt the drivetrain. :mrgreen:
The devil made me do it the first time, the second time I done it on my own...
tlca # 14622
Bird
bitPimp

Post by Bird »

ibjamn wrote:I think that 1.9's would look great, if the body was lower.
x2

tall 1.9s though... 4.25" like a cut up m2k or moab... or the new rc4wd rock stompers...

edit... you could use those old post holes on the hood to mount one of those little scale hi lift jacks :-o
ibjamn
bitDisciple

Post by ibjamn »

sidewinder wrote:...........................I do remember now one Dodge/Mistsubishi, the Raider. I always wanted one, it was the only passenger truck I ever saw that had a sprung seat like a semi's.
:-)
A while back, I was at a PullApart junk yard looking for some Mits. Eclipse parts. I came across a 4x4 Raider that had very little body damage, engine and drivetrain was all intact, and the interior wasn't that bad off. I saw a lot of the potential those things have for offroad use. It even had the 6 lug axle/wheels. I never did see why it was in the junkyard. The only down fall was the little 4 cylinder motor. Part of me wanted to buy it. Now that I've started working on the Nova, and seeing what it's going to take to get it back on the road, I wonder if I would have been just as well off to get it instead.

Back on topic, these would look sweet. :-o
45tr0
bitNinja

Post by 45tr0 »

okay, so it's been a while... and i never got around to updating when the electronics went in.

I'm running an LRP runner plus ESC, cheap HPI receiver, a 45T HPI crawler motor, and a towerpro MG995 servo. Cheap electrics, but they satisfy what i'm doin with it to date.

I wasn't happy with the flex, so the body got a comp cut and the shocks went back to the outside wheelbase. I star cut the foams, and have been too much of a tight arse yet to spring for better tyres.

Thought I would throw up some pics of where i've been crawling lately - This is Cemetery Beach, right in the Middle of Port Hedland. I like to think of it as my own scale Arizona. :)

"You guys are Wack"
"Wiggity Wack?"