my ax10 scorpion

All discussions about 1:18 scale and up electric offroad RCs.
crazydave
bitPimp

Post by crazydave »

Wow, that's some rugged terrain. Looks pretty jagged to me. Things around here tend to be rounded and smooth. Phoenix and it's surrounding areas are in a valley, and everything around here was underwater at some point. You can collect seashells in the desert.

So how's it handing out there? I'm pretty sure my WK based crawler wouldn't keep up. :lol:
...crazy man, crazy...dig it.
crazydave's Gallery
Ratfink says: "Man, it's the craziest"
CaboWabo
Site Admin

Post by CaboWabo »

Wow. Yea. That 1st shot looked fake to me at first, though I know it isn't. :lol:
Nice shots.
Dear Life Cereal, Where do you get off? Part of a balanced breakfast and delicious? Who do you think you are? By now you may have guessed I'm speaking ironically and have nothing but good things to say about what you do. Life cereal do not change a thing.
ibjamn
bitDisciple

Post by ibjamn »

Your own personal badlands. :-o
45tr0
bitNinja

Post by 45tr0 »

yeah, it handles the rough stuff pretty well - but you really have to pick a line carefully as the jagged bits like to hang you up - especially the little vents in the rock.

Standard complaints - i need to replace the stock plastic driveshafts (on my third set now) and the top links keeps popping out... definitely looking at 4 link options. Then i can make it 6 inches further before breaking other, more expensive things!

The pilbara is one hell of a place to go crawling, funny how a mining region has so many rocks... ;)
"You guys are Wack"
"Wiggity Wack?"
"Nope, just regular kind"
frizzen
bitDisciple

Post by frizzen »

I like that body!

Once the ball joint at the axle end of your 3-link has popped a couple times, you can swap it the other way and have the flange on it actually help retain it in the mount. If they're popping with the flange already in self-retaining mode, um wow, get a washer or upgrade the links.

4-link the rear, the front can stay 3-link if you want. It lets you play with squat and anti-squat that'll let you dial out torque twist. I've got a 4-link plate template *.pdf from somebody over on rccrawler if you'd like to roll your own.

How are the Lizards on your terrain? :lol:
Jack of all trades, master of none; yet often better than master of one.
-
End genital mutilation, don't circumcise. Restore your fore'
45tr0
bitNinja

Post by 45tr0 »

frizzen wrote:I like that body!

Once the ball joint at the axle end of your 3-link has popped a couple times, you can swap it the other way and have the flange on it actually help retain it in the mount. If they're popping with the flange already in self-retaining mode, um wow, get a washer or upgrade the links...

...How are the Lizards on your terrain? :lol:
Y'know, i hadn't event thought of reversing the ball joint! so simple i didn't even think of it!

Lizards could do with being a bit stickier for climbing, but the cut foams and the tread do pretty well at clawing away at the rough stuff. I'll be glad when I get some softer rubber.
"You guys are Wack"
"Wiggity Wack?"
45tr0
bitNinja

Post by 45tr0 »

Can anyone recommend a decent set of stronger driveshafts?
[edit] - are the splined ones any good?

I've run out of stock runs (broke the yoke again on the front about two seconds after this was taken, trying to claw my way down into that hole.

Last edited by 45tr0 on Tue Aug 26, 2008 4:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
"You guys are Wack"
"Wiggity Wack?"
sidewinder
bitProphet

Post by sidewinder »

No idea on the axles. That looks like it would beat the hell out of jus about anything you ran there.

Ok, I gotta ask...whats the picture on your shirt? At first I though it was a peacock... I tried to magnify it but it gets too pixelated. :???:
The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities. - Ayn Rand
45tr0
bitNinja

Post by 45tr0 »

sidewinder wrote: Ok, I gotta ask...whats the picture on your shirt? At first I though it was a peacock... I tried to magnify it but it gets too pixelated. :???:
lol - not quite a peacock!
it's the Black Lion from Voltron (okay, so I'm a huge geek!)
"You guys are Wack"
"Wiggity Wack?"
crazydave
bitPimp

Post by crazydave »

I always hear about people stripping driveshafts, but I've never had a problem. I use shortened Revo ones, and when I shortened them I cut them so the sleeve covers the splined insert almost completely.
crazydave's Gallery
SHAUN
bitDisciple

Post by SHAUN »

I have been running Jato shafts, they work really good. I use stampede yokes, just make sure that you drill out the stampede yoke to accept the jato yoke ball.

I haven't had any problems, and I'm running a 3S LIPO, 55T Lathe, through a R2 trans.
1000+ post of BS.
sidewinder
bitProphet

Post by sidewinder »

Voltron :-o I loved Voltron... I wonder if I can find the poster I used to have. :???:
The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities. - Ayn Rand
crazydave
bitPimp

Post by crazydave »

Sorry, shaun's post refreshed my memory. I should have said I used T maxx driveshafts, and I had to drill out the stock HPI yokes to fit the Tmaxx yoke ball. :oops:
crazydave's Gallery
45tr0
bitNinja

Re: my ax10 scorpion

Post by 45tr0 »

okay, so this bad girl is getting an overhaul and becoming a dedicated scaler.

I've just fitted her out with this chassis (an aussie adaptation of the x-trail)

and bought this body but in ABS so I can do a proper styrene build up(yeah, so i'm somewhat obsessed)

and now have a set of these
and these
on order.

I've got plans for a working winch to go out the front - ingredients are coming together...

Now I just need some leaf springs, a load of styrene, some paint, a 3 channel TX/RX, a compact but torquey gearbox for the winch, some scale shocks...

this is getting serious. :shock:
"You guys are Wack"
"Wiggity Wack?"
redrustbucket
bitGangsta'

Re: my ax10 scorpion

Post by redrustbucket »

Those are some sick rocks. Truck looks good too.
The devil made me do it the first time, the second time I done it on my own...
tlca # 14622