waterproofing crawlers?

All discussions about 1:18 scale and up electric offroad RCs.
sidewinder
bitProphet

waterproofing crawlers?

Post by sidewinder »

Have any of you crawler guys waterproofed your rigs? I'm working on an idea for a contest on the R7R board but before I start planning I need to figgure out if I could find a way to run micro-t stuff under water...I would have posted in the micro section but I figgured some of the crawlers and 4x4 people may have already blazed the trail. I'm thinking of building a tiny Swamp Buggy. If I try I'll post a build link on the BP board so everyone can see how bad an idea this really is. :grin:

Any advice?
The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities. - Ayn Rand
SHAUN
bitDisciple

Post by SHAUN »

The best thing to use is plastidip or Liquid electrical tape. You can pick it up at any hardware store, and walmart even sells the stuff(or used to, I haven't looked in a while).
1000+ post of BS.
sidewinder
bitProphet

Post by sidewinder »

I thought about the liquid electral tape...I even have an unopened can...but I was wondering if the esc needs the air to cool it. Also, any idea of if the motor needs to be sealed. I think I remember something about running motors in water to break them in...but I could be way, way off on that. :???:
The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities. - Ayn Rand
crazydave
bitPimp

Post by crazydave »

sidewinder wrote:I thought about the liquid electral tape...I even have an unopened can...but I was wondering if the esc needs the air to cool it. Also, any idea of if the motor needs to be sealed. I think I remember something about running motors in water to break them in...but I could be way, way off on that. :???:
I don't believe the motor needs to be sealed, but I would stray away from breaking them in in water. The one time I tried that, it washed away all the lubes, and the motor froze up up right away. Speaking of lubes, when you run a motor in water you should always spray it out with motor spray, and lube it back up, so it doesn't rust and corrode.
...crazy man, crazy...dig it.
crazydave's Gallery
Ratfink says: "Man, it's the craziest"
SHAUN
bitDisciple

Post by SHAUN »

Motors and batteries will be fine underwater. The ESC Should be ok.
1000+ post of BS.
payaso
bitPimp

Post by payaso »

Use plastidip and just dip all your eletronics. If you're not cool with dipping your rx, just put it in a balloon.

Motor will run fine in water, but not brushless.

Water is hard on bearings and tire foams though.

silla :D
payaso...... :)

"Imagination is everything. It's the preview to lifes coming attractions" -Albert Einstein
evoraptor
bitNinja

Post by evoraptor »

I used epoxy to seal mine, but plastidip works better. Like stated earlier, batts and motors will do fine underwater. Just throw the rX into a balloon, and seal that off. Close off the joints in the ESC, if you want, leave the heatsink outside if you're worried about overheating, just seal around it. Servos should be sealed, but is not entirely necessary. They would work anyway.
sidewinder
bitProphet

Post by sidewinder »

Cool, thanks guys. I'm thinking of building a wire chassis with the micro-t gear box/diff in the center running driveshafts to 1/24 scale slotcar axels. I dont know where I'm going to find the tall thin wheels/tires...maybe I can find a diecast bicycle replica.

Oh, I just realized if I do pull this off I have to dig a "swamp." Maybe it should just be the standard mud bogger... :???: Naw, I'll just pay some kid to dig it for me. :eek:

in case you don't know what a swamp buggy is:

CaboWabo
Site Admin

Post by CaboWabo »

:lol: Holy shit!
I actually kinda miss watching that stuff.
I don't even think it's been on TV in 20 years or more. lol

From what I remember, they used to have like 3 different main events.
Those type vehicles where they did what amounted to a drag race mostly in deep water.
Those type vehicles where they went around a course mostly in deep water.
And the mud boggers that did a quick shot in a straight pit of deep tracked mud with not much water usually.
Dear Life Cereal, Where do you get off? Part of a balanced breakfast and delicious? Who do you think you are? By now you may have guessed I'm speaking ironically and have nothing but good things to say about what you do. Life cereal do not change a thing.
SHAUN
bitDisciple

Post by SHAUN »

sidewinder wrote:I'll just pay some kid to dig it
Give me your address. :lol:

Sounds like a cool idea, can't wait to see it!
1000+ post of BS.
sidewinder
bitProphet

Post by sidewinder »

CaboWabo wrote::lol: Holy shit!

Those type vehicles where they did what amounted to a drag race mostly in deep water.
And the mud boggers that did a quick shot in a straight pit of deep tracked mud with not much water usually.
Yeah they haven't been on tv much...well ESPN 3 late, late at night sometimes. The cool thing is when I was looking for pics I found a guy who has a couple and if you want to race one you just rent one and he takes care of all the prep and "training." I have no idea of how much he wants but if I hit the lotto someday I might just have to fly in to florida a couple of times a year for some good old swampin'.
crazydave
bitPimp

Post by crazydave »

CaboWabo wrote::lol: Holy shit!

Hell yeah, the ol' TNN, The Nashville Network. Used to watch the finest in hillbilly motorsports every Sunday. Then MTV bought them out, they became Spike TV, the motor sports transitioned into the "Power Block". I think Horsepower TV is a direct descendant of "The Shade Tree Mechanic", but it's not the same. I still watch every Sunday, but I miss my swamp buggies. :lol:
...crazy man, crazy...dig it.
crazydave's Gallery
Ratfink says: "Man, it's the craziest"