Need advice on crawlers...

All discussions about 1:18 scale and up electric offroad RCs.
Smoke&Mirrors
bitGangsta'

Need advice on crawlers...

Post by Smoke&Mirrors »

So I'm thinking of looking at some crawlers bigger than the 1/64th and 1/28th scale I'm used to dealing with. I would just be looking for something entry level, cheap, as close to ready-to-run as possible and still good quality. What would you all more experienced pimps suggest I look at? Thanks for your help. :-D
Project Willy
ZZMT
-Articulation Mod
-288:1 Gear Ratio
-BB Steering Servo
-Extended Wheelbase
-Widened Axles
-Polaris ATV Tires
-Dean Plugs
-1:35 Scale Willy's Flatfender body
45tr0
bitNinja

Post by 45tr0 »

Axial AX-10 Scorpion- you won't find another crawler even close to it for performance out of the box, and there are enough hop-ups and mods available for when you decide you want to go mod-happy!
I can't say i'd go for the RTR though - i prefer the options that come with the kit form
"You guys are Wack"
"Wiggity Wack?"
"Nope, just regular kind"
Smoke&Mirrors
bitGangsta'

Post by Smoke&Mirrors »

Yeah, that looks pretty solid. I've seen that particular model a lot in my local stores and just never knew that was what it was. Looks like I'd have to shoot for a price around $260ish and it seems mostly ready to run. What is the charge time and battery life like? That's a pretty big concern of mine.
Project Willy
ZZMT
-Articulation Mod
-BB Steering Servo
-Extended Wheelbase
-Widened Axles
-Polaris ATV Tires
-Dean Plugs
45tr0
bitNinja

Post by 45tr0 »

i have the kit version - so my electrics aren't the same as the RTR.

I'm Running intellect 6 cell packs for the minizilla/micro T with a 45T HPI motor and LRP ESC (not an ideal set up, but goes well enough and is waterproof) and manage an average run time of around 40 minutes. I'm gonna make the jump to lipo soon and have been told to expect more than an hour from a pack.

Just my 2c - I would strongly suggest going for the kit over the RTR - it's easy enough to build and it really gives you a good feel for how to set up and work on the car in future, and the money you think you're saving on radio gear you'll end up spending in replacing the plastic parts with the alloy ones anyway.

But if you just wanna get up and running straight away the RTR will do an awesome job :-o
"You guys are Wack"
"Wiggity Wack?"
"Nope, just regular kind"
crazydave
bitPimp

Post by crazydave »

I agree with the other guys. The Wheely King or Axial Rock Racer might be more ready to run out of the box, but the AX-10 kit is more ready to crawl. You'll end up saving time and money in the long run, and probably end up with a better electronics package. And this is coming from a Wheely King owner.

Besides, I'm a supporter of building kits. I'm sick of all this RTR nonsense.
...crazy man, crazy...dig it.
crazydave's Gallery
Ratfink says: "Man, it's the craziest"
v137a
bitHood

Post by v137a »

I just built an AX-10 kit. It's a good entry point for crawling, as you make it pretty capable with a few little tweaks. There's also lots of information out there about them, since it's a pretty popular kit right now.
sidewinder
bitProphet

Post by sidewinder »

I've got a crazy idea. Since you like to mod stuff, and, since your doing pretty good go to Toy's R Us and buy a New Bright Toyota FJ Cruiser rocke crawler. I know a few people probably just threw their computers against the wall but hear me out. They are on sale for $17...yes they're built crappy, But they're crealing out the remaining 1/10 scale trucks for under $20. They're Propo..and there have been some mods on the net that look pretty good. Upgrade the electronics, replace the gears and start hacking away. You could end up with something really cool under $100 that you built and designed yourself.

I think I need to hit the local TRU :???:

http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.js ... Id=2748255
The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities. - Ayn Rand
Smoke&Mirrors
bitGangsta'

Post by Smoke&Mirrors »

Now that is an exciting prospect Sidewider, and for $20, how can I argue with that. And I'll be driving back home 100 miles tomorrow so I can hit up several along the way to see who has what. Clever man. Could you post some of the sites or mods you've seen around by chance?
Project Willy
ZZMT
-Articulation Mod
-BB Steering Servo
-Extended Wheelbase
-Widened Axles
-Polaris ATV Tires
-Dean Plugs
sidewinder
bitProphet

Post by sidewinder »

Its been a while but let me see what I can find. I'll get back to you.
The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities. - Ayn Rand
crazydave
bitPimp

Post by crazydave »

Thanks SW, I just figured out what I'm getting the kid for his Birthday. :-)
...crazy man, crazy...dig it.
crazydave's Gallery
Ratfink says: "Man, it's the craziest"
sidewinder
bitProphet

Post by sidewinder »

Hey CD just be sure you get the yellow one...the blue ones for some reason are still $60+.
Smoke&Mirrors
bitGangsta'

Post by Smoke&Mirrors »

Sidewinder, I love ya man. If you weren't already taken, you'd be in trouble. I picked one up at my local Toys 'R' Us and it's a blast. Plus, I see a lot of potential modding for it.

CrazyDave, just a heads up and a bit of a story.

I called my Toys 'R' Us and asked the lady if they had it in stock. I gave her the item number:

Code: Select all

Item #: 860977

SKU: F1EA7324

UPC/EAN/ISBN: 050211610031

Manufacturer #: 61003
She said that they did have it but not many and to come in soon to get it. I asked her the price and she said $60 ($59. whatever) and I said, "Oh, it says on your site that it is clearanced at $17.98" and she said oh yes, here it just below it, clearanced. You should definitely come in soon. So I thanked her and got her name, Sandra.

Later that day, I went to the Toys 'R' Us and went right to the R/C section. I couldn't find the model and started to panic a little. I went to the customer service desk and a manger helped me and walked around to find it. It was the last one and it was on top of the action figure isle. I went to check out and, as I anticipated, it rang up at $59._ _. I told them it was clearanced on the site and they told me that the site and the stores are completely independent and differ on clearance items based on the inventory. I had to tell them that when I talked with Sandra earlier, she basically told me that they had it in the store, it was $18 bucks and to hurry over to get it. She was of course on her lunch at the time. After a few minutes and some mangers, they did end up (reluctantly) giving it to me for the clearance price.

The moral of the story is, call in and see if they have it in stock with the information I provided as the codes. Then ask the price and tell them that it says it is clearanced on the site. Get them to agree with it and get the person's name. Then go in the store with your information, get the crawler and be prepared to wait, explain, and haggle.

I know, long story, but good advice and good luck anyone! :-o
Project Willy
ZZMT
-Articulation Mod
-BB Steering Servo
-Extended Wheelbase
-Widened Axles
-Polaris ATV Tires
-Dean Plugs
Smoke&Mirrors
bitGangsta'

Post by Smoke&Mirrors »

sidewinder wrote:I've got a crazy idea. Since you like to mod stuff, and, since your doing pretty good go to Toy's R Us and buy a New Bright Toyota FJ Cruiser rocke crawler. I know a few people probably just threw their computers against the wall but hear me out. They are on sale for $17...yes they're built crappy, But they're crealing out the remaining 1/10 scale trucks for under $20. They're Propo..and there have been some mods on the net that look pretty good. Upgrade the electronics, replace the gears and start hacking away. You could end up with something really cool under $100 that you built and designed yourself.

I think I need to hit the local TRU :???:

http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.js ... Id=2748255
Just fyi, only the throttle is proportional; the steering is not. I know it looks like it is with the pistol grip controller, but I found it is only for show. Turn it so far and the wheels just turn all the way. It is still a nice little crawler though. :D
Project Willy
ZZMT
-Articulation Mod
-BB Steering Servo
-Extended Wheelbase
-Widened Axles
-Polaris ATV Tires
-Dean Plugs
sidewinder
bitProphet

Post by sidewinder »

If I can find a TRU with them still instock I'll have to pick up at least one. I'm thinking maybe dump the electronics for a standard reciever & esc for the first mod. Now I just have to find a store that has them... the shipping on the website said something like $30...but maybe that was express or something. Grea ieda about calling with the info first, would have saved at least one wasted trip.
frizzen
bitDisciple

Post by frizzen »

I've first got to throw a small WTF at the newbrite thing. He asks for a crawler and yet this thing "...features 40-degree climbing power and independent 4-wheel suspension! " I read that as it saying this has 4 A-arms and won't crawl for shit, however it could be that their script-monkey knows nothing about vehicles and really ment to say that the axles are seperate from the chassis. Either way, more information please.

--
I'm going to add another vote to the AX-10 crowd. I went with the kit, and low-end 3-ch electronics. There's a KIT, AlmostReadyRun, ReadyToRun.

KIT - 'stock' Axial Rock Lizard Tires (the NOT sticky ones), stinky normal foams, smooth aluminum drive hexes, Weak green aluminum Diff Lockers, aluminum links, rear steering axle with lockouts, 'B17 Betty' dodge powerwagon body, Green Anodized parts, No electronics so you choose what you want.

ARR - Proline Hammer tires, Memory Foam, 8-hole beadlocks, HD Diff Locks, ribbed aluminum drive hexes (less likely to spin and strip your plastic rims), aluminum links, rear axle lockouts, XC-1 wannabe tuber looking body, Orange Anodized parts, no electronics so you choose what you want

RTR - Rock Lizards, stinky normal foam, 8-hole beadlocks, Rear HD Diff Lock, OPEN front Diff, ribbed aluminum drive hexes (less likely to spin and strip your plastic rims), plastic links, Slipper Clutch, rear axle lockouts, 'Baja Buzzard' stadium truck looking body, Lots O Plastic, Comes with electronics but if you want to crawl you'll be wanting atleast a higher turn motor and probably better servo.

Ok, what's all that mean?
KIT- Know every bolt on your truck, comes spec with some older parts we've beaten into failure that axial has upgraded in other models.
ARR- Best parts spec out of the box, you don't know your rig as well as if you'd built it yourself.
RTR- Seems like they want to compete with the Wheely King. Isn't really a crawler out of the box anymore!

So, you want either Kit or ARR. When I go for another crawler; if it's another Axial, it'll DEFINATELY be the ARR version.
Jack of all trades, master of none; yet often better than master of one.
-
End genital mutilation, don't circumcise. Restore your fore'