Project Bigfoot

All discussions about 1:18 scale and up nitro on & off road RCs.
Scorpion
bitPlaya'

Project Bigfoot

Post by Scorpion »

No this isnt a nitro truck and it never will be but theres not a place for GAS powered cars :eek:

I just wanted to give you guys a little sneak peak into my new project. Its still in the planing stages for now but I cant help but to share my plan..

Last night I spotted this 20 year old bigfoot power wheels truck, Instantly I had a vision rubber tires and a big ass gas engine and make it all RC!!! 20 dollars later It was in the back of my truck..

Now I still have to figure everything out but the plan is to get tires like the ones that go on the front of a riding lawn mower and put on all 4 corners. The back tires will most likely be put on a solid axle with a gear welded to it then cut the seats, steering wheel, all that shit out and get either a chainsaw motor or if I can make it fit I thought about trying to get an old 5hp brigs and stranton go kart motor in it :twisted:

The steering is going to be the hardest part.. Im thinking of some kind of electric motor to turn the wheels, like a window motor from a car or somthing like that..

As of now there will be now suspension or brakes.. although im probably going to be trying to find a way to add brakes but suspension Im not worried about..

Pictures

sidewinder
bitProphet

Re: Project Bigfoot

Post by sidewinder »

I looked at power wheels as a source of RC fun a while back but never followed through...I'm glad someone's got more ambition than I do (not that that's hard). It should be a really cool build. :-o
The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities. - Ayn Rand
frizzen
bitDisciple

Post by frizzen »

This should be interesting. Kinda suprised you're going gas over electric, but cool.

2 or 4wd?
Jack of all trades, master of none; yet often better than master of one.
-
End genital mutilation, don't circumcise. Restore your fore'
Scorpion
bitPlaya'

Post by Scorpion »

2wd for now.. And Im going gas because Im more comfortable on the mechanical side of things.. Im horrible when it comes to electronics as far as working on them..

Ive been trying to find somthing strong enough to work for the steering and I think ive found the perfect set up. I even have an old wiper motor in the shed.. But as stated im horrible with electronic circut boards and stuff so im not sure that I can get it working right.

http://www.fieroaddiction.com/servo.html

My uncle works for a small engine repair shop for like the last 20 years and over the time he has collected a good bit of stuff. I called him last night and hes looking around to see what he can find. So hopefully ill have a powerplant this weekend
sidewinder
bitProphet

Post by sidewinder »

I think that's the page I was looking for, I rememberd some guy who'd built a giant buggy (1/3 scale I think) and it was too heavy for regular servos so he made his own from a windshield wiper motor. I have no idea of how hard that would be to make either since I suck with electronics too, but it would be fun having a servo that was strong enough to "remove a finger." :-o

What I'm wondering though is would a normal high torque servo work, I mean some of the 1/4 scale cars are pretty heavy and if you build this with a tube frame (I'm guessing) it should be in the same weight range.

As for cheap wheels/tires you might check out Harbor frieght http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/d ... mber=41475, they're not sexy but they're cheap and should give good traction. Or, maybe use the front tires from a lawn tractor if you want a Bigfoot look.
The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities. - Ayn Rand
Scorpion
bitPlaya'

Post by Scorpion »

Yeah the orignal plan was to use tractor tires but now that im thinking about how heavy they would be im not so sure.. Those tires you posted dont look to bad hell $25 a set I cant even buy tires for my Tmaxx for that price..

Oh and Im not sure of what im building the chasis of yet, I dont really want to sink more than about 150 - 200 in this so ill be using alot of stuff that I find. The plan is to get the biggest motor, most power, and, most fun I can with the least amount of money..