I got it...SG First Nitro thread.....w/ first lexan 6/28/05

All discussions about 1:18 scale and up nitro on & off road RCs.
Bird
bitPimp

Post by Bird »

Yeah there's a bottle of after run oil in the big toolbox 'o support shit that came with them rides, so he's set on that...

Oh and he had me shoot some pics for him the night he got them, and I've been too tired and overworked to get around to posting them for him, so here they are... sorry so late...

Here's the XXX-NT...

It got the nice Team Orion/Sirio motor going on, a nice CVEC pipe... the hard anodized Losi shocks... from what I can tell by the obvious clues(the JR XR2i radio and the body), it's a nicely hopped-up RTR... oh... lol peep the extra set of sand paddles he got with it too... pretty cool...

And here be the Maxx...

Yeah... this thing's fucken' loaded... all kinds of nice blue alloy shit... the bulkheads, skid plates... all that shit... really nice stuff... 3 different wheel/tire combos... whooooole lotta nice shit lol...

Heres a shot of the big ass toolbox of extra/spare shit... tons of nice shit... lol lucky fooker...

payaso wrote:How is bird going to get into nitro now? :???:
I'm already plottin' and schemin' lol... I have some valuable liquid assets just sitting around collecting dust...

I really really like the Savage... and if I go that route, I'll either go with the .25 or the SS...

Knowing me, though, once I have the money to do it, I'll end up getting a nitro TC3 or some other tourer, maybe an OFNA or one of them HPI Evos...
sg219
bitPimp

Post by sg219 »

I got the XXX-NT fired up tonight. Raw knuckles and all. The T-Maxx kicked the shit out of my knuckles tring to get it started. It ran for about 30sec then quit.

The XXX started with the second pull and then the first pull the next 2 times I tried. This thing sounds mean!!! I can't wait to take it out tomarrow!!! :-D

The T-Maxx is being a little bitch!! My knuckles are busted open from hitting the body mounts and blistered from pulling the damn cord so many times. :-( I'll get it going sooner or later.

I don't know what the deal is with the T-Maxx. :???: It started for about 30 sec then crapped out.

I'll do more investigating later on it.

BTW....I don't recommend starting Nitro's in the house, unless your filming vid for BettyK. :lol:

My room looks like I just had a session in it. :cool:
payaso
bitPimp

Post by payaso »

Those nitro fumes can get pretty raunchy...

You might wanna ditch that pullstart for the Maxx. Unless you're going to race it, I'd drop an easy start, or roto start on that thing, and save your fingers.

It's nice to just hit a button, and go.

silla :D
payaso...... :)

"Imagination is everything. It's the preview to lifes coming attractions" -Albert Einstein
sg219
bitPimp

Post by sg219 »

XXX-NT

I got the XXX fired up with just a new plug. Damn, I haven't had this much fun since I first got into RC's a year ago!!!!!!! 6 tanks already!!!

The only problen I'm having with the XXX, is that it lags when you hit the throttle.

What is the fix for this?

????????????????????????????????????????????????????

T-Maxx

However, the T-Maxx won't turn over and stay running.

I removed the air filter and put a small amount of fuel down in there and it would turn over for a coule of seconds. So after that, I figured the problem is that the engine isn't getting any fuel or enough of it.

I removed the fuel line from the tank to the engine and let it syphon a little fuel out to make sure it wasn't kinked, clogged and to let any air bubles out. No problem.

Tried to start it up again and still nothing.

I am going on the assumption that it is just not getting fuel to the engine.

What adjustments can I make to get the fuel to flow?

Am I just overlooking something trivial or really simple?
backdrift
bitGangsta'

Post by backdrift »

There is a pin somewhere u have to set.. its the air to fuel ratio i belive..
payaso
bitPimp

Post by payaso »

sg219 wrote:XXX-NT

I got the XXX fired up with just a new plug. Damn, I haven't had this much fun since I first got into RC's a year ago!!!!!!! 6 tanks already!!!

The only problen I'm having with the XXX, is that it lags when you hit the throttle.

What is the fix for this?
That sounds like you're fat on the LSN (low speed needle) After you come to a stop, the crank case will load up with fuel causing you to loose your snappy take off, or even kill the engine from flooding it... Retune will fix this.. There is a learning curve with nitro, and it seems like you're exactly where you should be.

When making adjustments to the carb needles, remember to make small turns. ie. 1/16, and 1/8 of a turn. (one full turn = 360 degrees)

Make an adjustment, and then run a few minutes. You won't get instint results when tuning, and they need to small.

You will get the hang of it after running a few more tanks, and eventually gallons.
sg219 wrote:T-Maxx

However, the T-Maxx won't turn over and stay running.

I removed the air filter and put a small amount of fuel down in there and it would turn over for a coule of seconds. So after that, I figured the problem is that the engine isn't getting any fuel or enough of it.

I removed the fuel line from the tank to the engine and let it syphon a little fuel out to make sure it wasn't kinked, clogged and to let any air bubles out. No problem.

Tried to start it up again and still nothing.

I am going on the assumption that it is just not getting fuel to the engine.

What adjustments can I make to get the fuel to flow?

Am I just overlooking something trivial or really simple?

It could very well be that no fuel is reaching the engine.. It's possible for the carbs on these engines to gum up with left over fuel. this is caused by not performing the correct after run procedures.

If the truck is going to sit for a day or two, you should remove fuel from tank, and burn the rest out of the crank case, and tehn drop some afterrun oil in the plug hole, and in the carb bore.

I do not perform this, cause my trucks don't usually sit for long without at least a quick fire up, and I don't mind tuning/wrenching on em. Both run like fuckers.

If you feel brave enough, just rebuild the carb, and go to the O.S. site and DL the specs, and default settings for that carb.. not hard to rebuild

It could be the plug as well.. What plug are you using now? Brand? Hot?

If you turn it by hand, do you have good compression on the flywheel?

You might want to trade some of the stuff you won't use, and get a "Drop-in" engine for it. There are plenty of good mills out there that will except the EZ-start system, and make great power. Lots of people fuckin hate the ez start shit, but I love it.

Let me know if any of that gibberish helped..lol

"Imagination is everything. It's the preview to lifes coming attractions" -Albert Einstein
sg219
bitPimp

Post by sg219 »

Alot of good help.

LSN...just gotta find it and make sure its the right one. :???: I'll try that.

When adjusting...Is it cool to do while running or better to do when not running?

As for the T-Maxx...I wish I had an EZ-start. The XXX fires up with one pull. The T-Maxx and it's pull cord is in such a shitty location.

I think the only problem is that its not getting any fuel. I must have turned a screw too much or the wrong one.

Are these starting systems bolt on? Or do they need major modifications?

Looks like I got some more reading to do.
payaso
bitPimp

Post by payaso »

sg219 wrote:Alot of good help.

LSN...just gotta find it and make sure its the right one. :???: I'll try that.

When adjusting...Is it cool to do while running or better to do when not running?

As for the T-Maxx...I wish I had an EZ-start. The XXX fires up with one pull. The T-Maxx and it's pull cord is in such a shitty location.

I think the only problem is that its not getting any fuel. I must have turned a screw too much or the wrong one.

Are these starting systems bolt on? Or do they need major modifications?

Looks like I got some more reading to do.

Always make engine adjustments while it's running, and up to running temp. (above 200)

The engine you have in the Maxx won't accept the EZ-Start system without mods, but O.S. does make a drop in that will accept the system.. Just bolt it on, and go.

You can find the whole system on the bay for cheap. Just a cheap lazy alternative...lol I like it.

Maybe the carb is just full of muck.. :???:

crusty
bitPlaya'

Post by crusty »

There's a problem with t-maxx carborators .I've had the same problem,you can get an O.S. carborator for around $60 or just get a whole new O.S. engine for around $200 and it is a great engine.
ImageImageImage
payaso
bitPimp

Post by payaso »

crusty wrote:There's a problem with t-maxx carborators .I've had the same problem,you can get an O.S. carborator for around $60 or just get a whole new O.S. engine for around $200 and it is a great engine.

you are speaking of the "composite" carb on the TRX line of engines... sg219 has a O.S. .15 in his Maxx with a O.S. carb already on it.

sg219
bitPimp

Post by sg219 »

I ran the XXX the other day and shot a little vid. Nothing much, its in its raw form except a couple of captions.

It's a bitch to try and drive and shoot.

http://69.6.215.152/downloads/xxxnt_first35.wmv

It's about a minute long.
sg219
bitPimp

Post by sg219 »

I picked up some green fuel line and a green exhaust connector yesterday to make this ride look more like I own it now. :cool:

Before

After

What I did....

Installed new servo.

Replaced all the shitty discolored fuel line with the proper color. Plus, the manifold connector too.

I also had to make a custom pipe holder. It was previously held into place with a bent peice of coat hanger.

(I could have used green speed ties, but went with the black instead for a little contrast. :good:)

I also rebuilt the pull start, polished and cleaned the decks, both upper and lower, and washed out the fuel tank.

Next will be to clean the air filter and then get rid of those ugly red shock springs.

I'm happy I got it all back together and it fired right up without givin' me any shit. :-D :-D

I do think one thing is slighly off. When I took apart the pipe, I changed the tuning of it. How do I know where to set/screw the inside peice? :???:

Time for more reseaarch!!! Yeah, thats the ticket. :-)
sg219
bitPimp

Post by sg219 »

I had the XXX out for a little stroll in the parking lot of a mall today. I ran about 2 tanks and had a ton of fun while doing it.

The parking lot is smooth and almost abondoned on a Sunday evening. :-D

Wide open space right....(watch the vid... :hurt: :cry: )

The acoustics were awsome. There are walls all the way around and it made it really loud. I didn't mess with any editing or music, just the sounds of the engine and a faint hint of my car radio.

Enjoy.......... :-)

http://www.sg219.com/downloads/galleria.wmv Right click and save should do the trick.
sg219
bitPimp

Post by sg219 »

The last couple of weeks I've been spending atleast one of my days off trying to get the T-Maxx up and running.

Well, after alot of help and advice from Bird, things got done. I don't like going into a project totally dumb.

Got the steering centered and working properly.

Got it starting relitively easy and driveable. It's had about 10 tanks put thru it to get it going good and running almost correctly.

Got new bearings. All the wheels are installed, 8 new and shiny bearings. (I need to break the truck dowm at a later date to do the rest.)

Changed the wheels up. I had a set of plastic chrome plated rims with some on/off road tires already mounted on them. Came with the deal.

I purchased one of the Proline Dodge Rams awhile back and finally painted it up today.

I'll post the painted pic when its all cut out and installed. (More dramatic.)

The fuel line has been changed to a more eye pleasing color of green along with the small pipe connector too.

I have a rear body mount on the way from USAtorque55. Thanks alot!!

What needs done........

Replace the rear body mount.

Replace the inner bearings. The ones that aren't easy to get to.

A little bit of de-anodizing in the future.

It stalls when the brake is applied. I just can't seem to get it right. Any help would be great. :???:

I would like to put reverse back onto it, but I have NO clue where to begin.

Look into a TigerDrive.
sg219
bitPimp

Post by sg219 »

Here is the finished (98%) product.

It is my first lexan job. I still need to put on a couple of more stickers/decals. But the body is finished.

Less than 24 hours later....

I have a rear body mount on the way. Thanks to USAtorque55.

I also noticed I have a cracked/broke front shock tower. :-(