Thinking of nitro

All discussions about 1:18 scale and up nitro on & off road RCs.
payaso
bitPimp

Post by payaso »

Sasquatch wrote:sure I could race a T-Maxx and be competitive, but is it a race vehicle, no.

Not true at all bro... Out of all the monster trucks, the T Maxx took the win for the whole point series. It's on display in Orlando.

The T is no slouch, and my lite race Maxx is race ready. I'll put it up against any truck.

Just remember, trucks don't win, the drivers do.

Track time is the key.

The 777SP2 is awesome.. You're looking at over a grand to get started in that one, and I wouldn't put it anywhere but on a track.

PS... I beat my Maxx like it owes me money, and I've never broke a bulkhead in over 2 years. I still see plenty at the track still..

silla :D
payaso...... :)

"Imagination is everything. It's the preview to lifes coming attractions" -Albert Einstein
crazydave
bitPimp

Post by crazydave »

PS: Kyosho MP777 SP2. Worth it, not worth it? I was going to change to a Spektrum DX3 ASAP for whatever nitro vehicle I would get, and I could pick a nice engine too. I know it's a kit, I can take it to my metal shop at school and skip a day of school to build it. Shouldn't be too hard, right?
What Payaso said. Kyosho has won more IFMAR world championships than anyone else, and it aint cheap, so obviously its no slouch, but as he also said, the car is not gonna win the race for you. Track time really is the key to success. Its my personal belief that until you've put in that track time, that you're ready to run with the pros, that many high end racers are actually more difficult to drive, because they are far less forgiving of mistakes.

My issue when I raced, was reading the mag too much, and thinking that my XXT sport wasn't good enough, that I needed a XXXTCR, and I needed Brian Kinwald's setup, when not only was I not raceing on a blue grooved championship track, but I did not have his skills, driving style, and I was running in the stock class, so I wasn't even racing at the same speeds. I found out that the XXTs short chassis was better for my track, and the sponsered dudes were buying CRs, and ordering short chassis for them. :roll:

I think that if you really think you're gonna end up mostly raceing, head on down to the track, and see what people are racing, and ask what kinda of cars they're looking at purchasing. You might find that a certain car works particularly well for that track, then again that car might just be the Hellfire. :lol:

MSR just released a truggy kit for the 777, BTW.

And what I really wanted to comment on. I think kits are the way to go. You're gonna have to break it down to maintain it anyways, and what better way to familiarize yourself with every last screw, then to build it yourself. Kits are not at all hard to build if you can follow basic instructions, and shouldn't take you more than 8 hours at the most to assemble. I think the dominance of RTRs in todays market is due to the instant gratification factor more so than any difficulty in building. Personally I don't care for the recent trend in RTR cars, and I wish more people would buy kits.
...crazy man, crazy...dig it.
crazydave's Gallery
Ratfink says: "Man, it's the craziest"
Sasquatch
bitHood

Post by Sasquatch »

Oh I definitley understand about the driver being the best driver out there, the guy at the event I was just at had only bearings in his MR-02 racing in the 2WD stock class and was beating everyone by about 3 laps at the end of the race. It's just when I advance to a better driver, I don't want to have to buy another vehicle to race, I want to start with something a little ahead of me, so I can grow into. It's like the Savage, you can race and be competitive for a little while, but if you change to a more race oriented vehicle, you can be even faster and better. I just don't want to pick something like an Xmod, cheap, quick, fun but you soon realize it won't keep up anywhere, even with a good driver.

Everyone has different vehicles, there really isn't a certain vehicle, mainly because R/C isn't as big as in many other areas here in Vancouver. So really it's up to driver's preference.

Payaso, I meant no harm when I said the T-Maxx wasn't a race vehicle. It's a nice truck and all, I love it, I think it looks kool, but after hearing bulkheads and whatever the other little parts that break a lot, I kind of steered away from it a bit. I doubt that the T-Maxx that won that race, was relatively stock, and was much more hopped up in comparison to the competitors. I mean no offence, but it quite isn't built to be a race machine, or at least it's a bit outdated compared to some current vehicles.

Do you think the MP777 SP2 could take mild bashing? I'm not going to beat it like it owes me money like you do with your T-Maxx, but I won't be gentle. I can probably swing the money, but is it worth it (too advanced or a bit within my league? I can drive and tune suspension setups, it's just the engine and jumping I need to work on)? I would get the Spektrum DX3 radio, then I just need a recommendation on an engine (very torquey with a nice top-end, super-responsive) and then the rest I can get help at my LHS (starter box, glow plugs, fuel etc etc) I've gotten back into buggies again, so far I found Ofna to be the most reliable, and so far it seems the Ravager is what suits me the best.

Crazydave - I'd love to get a kit, but most kits out there aren't fully equipped and are usualy pure race machines which will cost quite a bit to get running. So if you can recommend some good kits out there, I'm open. Just depends on parts support and a bit on price.

Sorry for being so picky and confusing, I guess all these years of non-stop thinking of cars has made me a bit :?
payaso
bitPimp

Post by payaso »

I take no offence to remarks about the Maxx. It is hopped up a bit, and sits at about the $1600 mark right now, so it's taken a while to get where I want it. Outdated it is, but still a very competitive paltform.

You also can't beat the after market support for the Maxx line. sky's the limit. And now that they just re-did the entire line, they're even more durable than before. Maxxes now use the Revo drive train, and tranny. Damn near bullet proof.

The look on peoples faces after they got their ass handed to em by a inferior truck is priceless...

But, enough about that truck. you know it's out there if you decide to go that route.

As far as the questions go, keep em coming. More often than not, people just jump in, and end up dissapointed, and give up. Waste of money, and it gives the hobby a bad name.

I personally would not recomend showing up as a noob with the hottest rig on the market. Without knowing what the truck is capable of, it leaves you frustrated, and you have no way of knowing if it's performing at it's best. Ya know?

Have you considered going with a used truck? Bad thing about R/C, and especially nitro is, once you start the engine, you can expect to get about half of what you payed new. That is if you were not happy, and wanted to sell.

With that being said, there are a large amount of used goods out there for the taking at less than half. I've seen $1000+ R/Cs going for $400-$500 range. Slap in a new engine, and get busy.

I think you'll be alright whatever truck/buggy you choose, as you seem to be thorough..

Like Dave said, kits are the best, but sadly enough, they're few and far between anymore. Traxxas doeasn't have any kits.. That's the nice thing about used. You usually tear it down once you get it..

What ever you do get, and however drive it. Meaning racing, or bashing. Practice, practice, practice. If you hit some shit at WOT, you're going to trash it no matter what it is.

"Imagination is everything. It's the preview to lifes coming attractions" -Albert Einstein
Sasquatch
bitHood

Post by Sasquatch »

Thanks, it's great to talk with someone knowledgeable and as open as I am. Thanks for the help so far.

I wouldn't mind picking up a used truck/buggy, but it all depends on whats on it and what the price is. If one comes around I'll look into it.

Now that I heard about the Maxx, I'll look into it more. I'm just a bit worried about the bulkheads problems and the twisting axles problem too.

Thats kind of what I'm trying to not do, have the nicest vehicle without being able to push it to it's limits. At first I'll just bash around, get used to it, figure out jumping and then head out to the track. I don't mind having an extremely nice vehicle, I can take the heat.

I just don't want to make a bad decision and have to suffer the consequences, too bad I can't think like that at home and at school. :lol:

I'll be heading out to the park at least every weekend (thats if I don't get kicked out) and taking it to school fairly often. I love engines, electric is all kool and all, but I don't quite have the electrical knowledge to get the most out, plus it's not what I want to major in.

Any recommendations on buggies? Ofna has so many, but I don't know what suits me best and I don't know any other buggies from other companies, so I need help there. I don't care if the engine is "illegal", I just want to drive.

PS: So far what I have found appealing:
HPI Hellfire
Team Losi LST2
Ofna Mutilator
Ofna Ravager (or any other Ofna buggy, not sure which)
Traxxas Jato
Traxxas Revo or Revo 3.3
Traxxas T-Maxx 3.3
Kyosho MP777 SP2 w/Sirio S21BK EVO-2 Engine kit
Kyosho MP777 Truggy
payaso
bitPimp

Post by payaso »

Any of the OFNA buggies will suit you just fine. You can do quite a bit with em. They're quite popular too, so parts aren't hard to get.

Mugen makes some decent buggies too, as well as Xray..

The LST2 is a new version of the old Losi Super Turd, and appears to have engine problems. They're not making it past a gallon.

The rest sound good accept the Jato. It's a great little truck, and all, but it's 2wd, and not much ground clearence. You'll want 4wd, or awd to get throught the thick shit.

Kyosho, and Hotbodies are both making a 1/10 4wd ST

The Hotbodies LSP (lightning stadium pro) is a killer truggy, and I believe Thunder Tiger has a killer new truggy on the market too..

Keep shopping around, and reading up, and you'll be fine. Don't bother learning to tune on a Italian race engine cause it's a waste. just run a decent sport mill to get the hang of it..

Have fun.

PS. the Revo drive shafts are holding up to big ass modded Colari .30, and that's what the new Maxx has too, and New bulks..

Sasquatch
bitHood

Post by Sasquatch »

Mugen is too expensive and Xray is quite expensive too. If I was to go for an Xray, I might as well go for the MP777 SP2 because I have an LHS that is much closer that I can parts easier.

Jato was just for fun, for speed and stupidity, more of an oddity that made the list for fun.

The LSP's are a bit too race for me, too pro.

HPI Hellfire
Ofna Mutilator (if receives good reviews when released)
Ofna Ravager
Traxxas Revo 3.3
Traxxas T-Maxx 3.3
Kyosho MP777 SP2 (recommendations on a responsive, torquey with good top-end motor?)
Kyosho MP777 Truggy (same as above)

All will have electronics replaced with a Spektrum DX3 either right away or soon after.
payaso
bitPimp

Post by payaso »

How are the XRAY, and Mugen too expensive, but the 777SP2 isn't? :???:

All are $1,000, and over to get started in.

The 777 SP2 is $650 for the kit. You still need

Radio: 2-Channel with 1 Standard Servo and 1 High Torque Servo. Radio Batteries: (8) AA size Engine: .21 Rear Exhaust w/Slide Carb and Integrated Pilot Shaft. Exhaust: Rear Exhaust Tuned Pipe and Manifold. Rx Battery: 6V Hump Pack. Tires: 1/8 Off Road Buggy Tires w/Foam Inserts. Glow Starter: 1.2 volt Paint: Polycarbonate for body Misc. Items: Fuel bottle,

The Mugen MBX5 kit is around $550 + the list above.

Sasquatch
bitHood

Post by Sasquatch »

My LHS deals a lot with Kyosho (Mini-Z's and 18th scale) so I get a bit of a discount there, plus it's only 10 mintues away compared to 30 minutes away for the next LHS. Maybe I shouldn't have said more expensive, but easier access.

How is the T-Maxx in stock form? Since I won't be upgrading anything other than electronics and whatever breaks, I'm curious as to what the T-Maxx platform is like. I know the Hellfire has front a-arm breakage problems and it comes with a too low clutchbell (needs to be changed to 15-17 tooth to get good top-end while still having good low-end) and the Revo is pretty durbale without pretty much any problems. Just wondering if the T-Maxx is worth stock.

I'm really stuck between these 3 trucks and if I could, I'd just buy all 3 and stop the headaches. The Hellfire is a nice truggy, great for racing and can take some bashing, the Revo is best of both worlds, perfect for racing and perfect for bashing, and the T-Maxx is just a ballistic monster truck that can be taken racing.

If you had a choice between these three, which would you pick and why?

Rounded down to:
HPI Hellfire
Traxxas Revo 3.3
Traxxas T-Maxx 3.3
betty.k
bitPimp

Post by betty.k »

hellfire, because:
1. it looks cool
2. my 2 hpi's are really good so i'd expect the same brilliant design and quality
3. it looks cool :-o

don't listen to me, i'm very inexperienced with these big loud things. all i can offer is uneducated opinion.

them hellfire's look pretty good but :-)
i used to be cool
Sasquatch
bitHood

Post by Sasquatch »

I've picked the Hellfire as choice for truggy/monster truck.

Now I want to pick a buggy.

I got:
Kyosho MP777 SP2
XRAY (dunno which model)
Ofna (dunno which model kit or RTR, thinking of Ravager or Jammin X1CR)
Hot Bodies Lightning 2RR
Any other recommendations?
payaso
bitPimp

Post by payaso »

I don't usually recomend stuff like you're looking at for nitro beginners, but since you seem to be dead set on it, and they are indeed awesome rigs.

Why not just get a matching pair?

OFNA Jammin X1CRT = Fuckin killer truggy

OFNA Jammin X1CR = fuckin killer buggy

Scrap the HF.. HPI does make great stuff, but not race rigs. This is a first for them.

Sasquatch
bitHood

Post by Sasquatch »

Thats a pretty good idea. I like it. :-o

Too bad I can't afford both. :o

The X1-CRT and X1CR do look nice and would make a nice matching pair. I think I may go for either one because Ofna is supposed to be indestructible, which I like. But I heard from reviews that the X1CR has weak servos, unless they changed that. It still the same bullit-proof Ofna buggy right? Just made for racing?

Just from the pictures and whats stated, Mutilator vs. X1-CRT

If I like something, I get a bit stubborn, if I like it, I stick with it till I kill it and either get bored or find something new. If I seem a little hard to steer, just continue or wait, eventually I'll get bored of the of vehicle becuase of time, then I'll move onto whatever is new.
betty.k
bitPimp

Post by betty.k »

payaso hits on a good point. buying 2 different vehicles of the same brand is a good idea.

when i first got my "real" 1:10's i was lucky to get a good deal on 2. i have an hpi rs4 mt and an hpi rs4 rally.
they are both the same rudimentary design, just different sizes in different places.
the advantages of owning these 2 is once you know one you know them both, a lot of parts are cross compatible or identical. and the basic setup is the same, simplifying everything will make your whole driving experience far better.

regardless of what power source, brand or scale, every rc has it's strengths and weaknesses. you just gotta get to know them and work with it.
just so long as it's not crap, i think you'll have the same general experience no matter what you buy :-o
i used to be cool
Sasquatch
bitHood

Post by Sasquatch »

Now I'm just trying to weigh the advantages and disadvanteges between the trucks.

The Hellfire is having front end durability issues, and I know I'll be nose-diving a lot, since I haven't done pretty much any jumping before. Plus it's around $900 CAD, which is extremely high for me. But, HPI parts are plentiful, good CS, prices for parts are reasonable and there will be tons of hopups. Also the RTR gear is good, not too budget, not too fancy. They work, just like all RTR gear.

The X1-CRT is great, it's race-proven, great manufacturer, good quality and has great reviews. I haven't heard of any problems with the truck, so if you know of any, lemme know.

I think I'll lean more toward the Ofna just because it's a touch better at stock form over the Hellfire. If some sort of deal comes through or if I manage to test drive either of them, then that will be the decisive factor. I'll talk with a couple locals to see what they say.