New toys, and maybe some help from the pimps?

All discussions about 1:18 scale and up nitro on & off road RCs.
45tr0
bitNinja

New toys, and maybe some help from the pimps?

Post by 45tr0 »

someone up there likes me! :-o

So in organising the bit race meet for work (look out for pics later this month), a guy at work asks "have you tried nitro before?" I say no, and the next day he greets me with this:

he was into the hobby about 5 years ago, and he's clearing out his garage, and tells me if i don't take them they will go in the dumpster.

whats a guy to do?

So now i'm the proud owner of a half-assembled kyosho nitro brute (1988 in the house!), and an unknown kyosho truck that looks like early 90's to me. can any of you more knowledgable pimps tell me what this truck is?

It needs some serious cleaning up and the pullstart needs fixing. Maybe one of y'all could tell me what elsei need to do after it has been sitting for 5 years unused?

I'm lookin forward to finishing the nitro brute, they aren't that common from what i can tell, and the detail is cool (working lights & spots!). Only problem is that the manual is missing. i'm not sure if any parts are missing, looks mostly complete, gears/diff etc are all still in the bags.

this was in there too

7 chan heli/plane remote with receiver. I dunno what i'm gonna do with this, it looks like it controls johnny 5, and has more switches than jesus.

Karma is good to me lately! :-)
"You guys are Wack"
"Wiggity Wack?"
"Nope, just regular kind"
betty.k
bitPimp

Post by betty.k »

dude! score! :eek:

that radio has a lotta potential :-o
i used to be cool
honda_s2000
bitNinja

Post by honda_s2000 »

Bah , they arent worth a penny , Send them my way and i'll despose of them in the right manner :lol: . Pm me and i'll give you my postal adress :-o

Nice score man , Very nice score ! :cool:
We don't need no god damn roads!
Clint
bitPimp

Post by Clint »

sweet score!!!

this guy might have a manual for the nitro brute for 20$
http://www.rcchopshop.com/kyosho/kyoshomanuals.html
payaso
bitPimp

Post by payaso »

Killer score man... The r/c gods are smiling down on you... Find your manuals here.

http://www.rcdocuments.com/

You're going to need to tear them down for a damage report before reassembling them.

The engine might be shot, but might not. Some close up pics of all of it would be more helpful. Pics of the engine, chassis, electronics, ect.

silla :D
payaso...... :)

"Imagination is everything. It's the preview to lifes coming attractions" -Albert Einstein
45tr0
bitNinja

Post by 45tr0 »

thanks for the link payaso, but it doesn't look like they have anything on these two models.

The brute should be easy going once i have the manual, so long as no parts are missing. its never been run, and will need a new motor before it goes anywhere.

As for the thrasher - i'm gonna tear it down this week and clean everything up - the whole thing is kinda greasy and sticky. I'm going to look for obvious wear/tear/breakages, but when it comes to the motor i haven't got a clue what is normal or not... any tips on what to look for?

I'll take some close ups over the next couple of days. :-o
"You guys are Wack"
"Wiggity Wack?"
honda_s2000
bitNinja

Post by honda_s2000 »

SHAUN - Sounds like a load of shit to me brother :-)

If a frequency becomes "banned" (They are usually banned to begin with , due to countries using certian frequencies for communication etc.) It would still transmitt/receive a signal , allthough if you were caught then you can get in shit. Oh and you might see your plane run off , or some full scale machines crashing :lol: (j/k)
We don't need no god damn roads!
payaso
bitPimp

Post by payaso »

45tr0 wrote:when it comes to the motor i haven't got a clue what is normal or not... any tips on what to look for?
Tear the engine down completely. The bearings are most likely shit, and will need to be replaced anyways. Look for scratch marks on the piston/sleeve, scratches in the crank shaft, and play in the conrod where it connects to the crank.

Check the pinch on the p/s once you get them out. You can do this by sliding the piston up the sleeve. It shouldn't go past the top of the sleeve. If it does, it'll have to be replaced. Both of them.

Just give it a good cleaning, and put it all back together (make note of conrod, piston, and sleeve placement when removing,) Once it's oiled, and back together (with glow plug in), turn it over by hand using the flywheel. It should have some resistence. If it's easy to turn the motor over, the compression is gone. Time for a complete rebuild, or buy a new one. Buying new is almost always cheaper.

"Imagination is everything. It's the preview to lifes coming attractions" -Albert Einstein
45tr0
bitNinja

Post by 45tr0 »

thanks payaso! your info was mucho helpful!
I pulled the whole thing down over the weekend and cleaned it up with metho - a good soak freed the thing up quite a bit!

then i went in and did as you said, checked & replaced bearings, piston & sleeve both fine (piston stopping about .5mm below top of sleeve, crank fine. Good compression at the flywheel too. gave the carb a good clean as well, and ran metho through the fuel tank to clean out all the soapy nitro.

all is ready to (hopefully) run this afternoon! have a look at the before and after pics:

BEFORE

AFTER

now for the fun part, getting it dirty again!
"You guys are Wack"
"Wiggity Wack?"
payaso
bitPimp

Post by payaso »

Cool man. Glad I could help. You did a great job cleaning it.

Don't forget to pick up some after run oil (aro) for the engine. This will increase engine life if used after a run before it sits.

The alcohol in nitro will attract moister. Bad for engines. Few drops down the plug hole, and maybe a few down the carb bore.

Omygosh3629

Post by Omygosh3629 »

i know exactly what the other truck is,
its the electric version of the nitro brute,
call the BIG BRUTE, i used to have 2 before i started tearing them apart and figuring out that more parts were broken than good, and have never assembled them, if you ever what to get rid of that old big brute, holla at me some time,

nate
You can polish a terd all you want, but in the end all you get is a shiny terd.
45tr0
bitNinja

Post by 45tr0 »

the other truck is actually the nitro brute, it's got the engine mounting plates and everyting. it is mising some parts though, all the shafts for the gearbox, front axles, some other bits and pieces. looks fun but probably not too durable with the plastic chassis...

The nitro thrasher is a screamer now, fast as hell (okay, not as fast as some, but faster than any electric i've had).
Unfortunately, its not going anywhere at the minute - i lost an engine mounting screw and the car ate the centre diff... so i'm hunting around for a replacement. if anyone comes across a good supplier of old kyosho gear, lemme konw!
"You guys are Wack"
"Wiggity Wack?"