$130 nitro RC... @your local yoy aisle!

All discussions about 1:18 scale and up nitro on & off road RCs.
crazydave
bitPimp

$130 nitro RC... @your local yoy aisle!

Post by crazydave »

In recent issues of both RC Driver and RC Car Action. There is talk of toy giant Hasbro launching a new division NitroXRC, that will sell a pair of nitro cars, one a flip over two sided car for $180, and the other a more traditional off road monster for $130. One mag said they would have .12 motors, while the other said .18. They both claimed top speeds of 25mph. These should be sold at stores like TRU and Walmart, where the fuel will also be offered in a special no spill filling bottle.

This is big news to me. I've always wanted a nitro car, and while I'm shure these will be kinda "toyish", I bet they'll be a hell of lot of fun for the price.
...crazy man, crazy...dig it.
crazydave's Gallery
Ratfink says: "Man, it's the craziest"
payaso
bitPimp

Post by payaso »

I saw that too in my XRC mag. Couldn't believe it when I saw "Hasbro"

This is a huge step I think for R/C. Cheap foot in the door. Nitro is a ton of fun, and once people see them in stores, it's just a matter of time before they search elsewhere for nitro R/C vehicles.

I'm very curious as to how they'll handle the customer service for em though. :???:

There's a hump in nitro that has to be gotten over. If you have some knowledge with engines, you should find your way around pretty good. the people that aren't as mechanically inclined will face some frustration at first.

It's not as complicated as it seems though.

Can't wait to see em on shelves at wally world..... :-o

silla :D
payaso...... :)

"Imagination is everything. It's the preview to lifes coming attractions" -Albert Einstein
sg219
bitPimp

Post by sg219 »

I see a big initial sale, then a huge flop.

I don't see people being able to maintain them. I know from my nitro experience, that its not just "play, play, play". There is a lot of work and maintenence involved with nitro.

I do agree that once someone has one, they might do further investigating. But if that is the case, then the electric RC's would have had the same affect, which it doesn't.

Unless Hasbro is ready for a full on assault on customer service, it WILL be the death and the beginning at the same time.

Better get those overseas call centers ready for the onslaught!! Enjoy speaking to a bunch of non-english, hacked up english, speaking operators. :-)
Bird
bitPimp

Post by Bird »

I read somewhere that HobbytownUSA is going to have a hand in the customer service on these things... so, that'll definately get more people in the door... they'll bring their toy nitro to get fixed, and see this whole 'nother world of shit they never saw before and get hooked...
honda_s2000
bitNinja

Post by honda_s2000 »

Yea , bird , hobbytown will be the authorised place to get them serviced , but another thing i'm worried about is the fact that they are "flip over" trucks. Like they can run both sizes. I dunno how the nitro engines are gonna hold up to that.

Plus the fact that there will be all sorts of law suits , as now even more parents are going to buy them for kids younger than the age.

Whenever a parent asks me if their child can play with my rc car , and I say no , it's too expensive , and hard to get the hang of , plus the fact he is a little too young. They seem to allways insist that little johnny is so mature for his age , and is practicly einstien. :? ALWAYS.

Now , lemmie find those pictures for you all.

http://forums.radiocontrolzone.com/show ... ge=1&pp=25

A post by "dremelit" who works in a hobby store , from this thread on scale4x4rc : http://www.scale4x4rc.org/forums/showth ... ases+nitro

The "inside word" is that Hasbro will break in the engines and Wildcat will make the fuel. Don't know if it's a special blend or not, but it will be a special container, sort of a spill-proof affair, one tank per shot, squeeze to load. Sort of like the bottles that 2-cycle oil comes in. And they'll be sold everywhere, not just Wally World. Apparently Hobbytown will be the only place to get parts & service, or at least authorized parts & service. It'll only be a matter of time until people start hacking these, or somebody drops an Axial .32 into one and fills it up with 40% O'Donnell

Slyp, parents aren't going to listen to you. They won't listen to me and they're paying for my advice

Ten years ago, before every kid had ADD, these would have been too simple. Lots of 12-year-olds had RC10GT's and even knew how to assemble them from kits. If they didn't figure it out, they didn't run 'em. Today grown men bring electric trucks back to the LHS to get the spur gear replaced So dumbing down nitro may be just what people need. If they're half the speed they could be, they'll break half as much and the buyers will be twice as happy.

Remember, this is a first RC vehicle, or a step up from Wal-Mart RC's. If you're stepping up from a non-proportional thing that goes 5mph, a somewhat proportional (speculation here) nitro truck that goes 5 times faster and doesn't need to be charged overnight (remember, we're talking non-hobby-grade chargers here) will look like one hell of a deal.

My objection is that Hasbro will market this to 16-23 year olds Based on the reactions so far, it's going to be a tough sell. Hasbro isn't exactly the first name that pops into mind when you go shopping for a 16 year old. And the younguns will fall for it like a ton of bricks, especially once they see one, or God forbid, they're told they can't have one.

As for the technology, I'd like to see more n00b-mobiles with a fixed tune and already broken in. It'd sure make my job easier
:cool:
We don't need no god damn roads!
Bird
bitPimp

Post by Bird »

Yeah... much respect to dremelit/microgoat... dude is a hella good scale builder, knows his shit for sure...

My take on it is it'll be just like any other fad in RC... the people who are in it for real will move on quickly, and the half-assers will fall by the wayside... just look at the amounts of people brought in by xmods or Nylint crawlers... you can get a feel for who's really into it and who's just playing... time sorts 'em out for us lol...

EDIT oh, yeah... Dave...
crazydave wrote: $130 nitro RC... @your local yoy aisle!

Don't ask... lol it's a pittsburgh thing :-)
Last edited by Bird on Mon Sep 18, 2006 8:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
crazydave
bitPimp

Post by crazydave »

Ten years ago, before every kid had ADD, these would have been too simple. Lots of 12-year-olds had RC10GT's and even knew how to assemble them from kits. If they didn't figure it out, they didn't run 'em. Today grown men bring electric trucks back to the LHS to get the spur gear replaced So dumbing down nitro may be just what people need. If they're half the speed they could be, they'll break half as much and the buyers will be twice as happy.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

I just waited a half an hour for a can of motor spray yesterday because the guy ahead of me didn't know how to adjust the slipper or replace the spur on his T-Maxx. I was boggled how someone could spend $500+ and not even read the instructions. Really made me realize if my first hobby grade RCs weren't kits I made not have a clue either. :???:

I agree with Bird. They get a cool toy, they go to HobbytownUSA for service, and they get exposed to the whole hobby. Should cause some kind of growth in the hobby. As far as these staying on the toy shelf, I kinda foresee problems with the dipshits that can't change a spur gear, but I don't care cause I'm gonna get a nitro car for Christmas. :-D
crazydave's Gallery
ibjamn
bitDisciple

Post by ibjamn »

I just don't see the local Hobbytown having the patience for the customer base these will bring in.(No offense to you, CD. you know what I mean I hope)That is where I bought my first hobby grade electric and nitro(Stampede and Revo) since I had ran my Blackfoot, 10 - 11 yrs prior. A little while after I got the Pede, I came in for a couple of parts. One of the salesmen claimed that "Traxxas is all crap, you should go with this one(pointing to Associated) " and I would never have another Traxxas". The kid had said it in front of other customers :? Half of all the RC land vehicles and parts in there are Traxxas :? ... I go in there often enough, spending a few bucks here and there, that they know they have to get off their stool behind the counter, cause what i need, they have to search the wall for. :-D
My point is that if Hobbytown is servicing these, then Hasbro pulled off a miracle of an alliance. Their will be a lot of payroll dollars going to those hobby shops. The thing I would hope for is that they are as durable as they will have to be.
honda_s2000
bitNinja

Post by honda_s2000 »

Oh yea , hey now you made me look like a dumbass :lol:
crazydave
bitPimp

Post by crazydave »

ibjamn wrote:(No offense to you, CD. you know what I mean I hope)
crazydave wrote:I kinda foresee problems with the dipshits that can't change a spur gear, but I don't care cause I'm gonna get a nitro car for Christmas.
:-o
crazydave's Gallery
ibjamn
bitDisciple

Post by ibjamn »

Now you can change your sig HS2.......... :-D just playing with ya

Oh yea , hey now you made me look like a dumbass :lol:
$ = priceless
honda_s2000
bitNinja

Post by honda_s2000 »

:lol:

Ah well come on , surely im not that stupid ! :?
payaso
bitPimp

Post by payaso »

ibjamn wrote:I bought my first hobby grade electric and nitro(Stampede and Revo) since I had ran my Blackfoot, 10 - 11 yrs prior.

I didn't know you had a Revo... They are really nice trucks. I've had one now for round 2 years.

Can't keep up with the Maxx, but it's a damn good rig.

Post up some pics of the nitros man. We gots to see em. :-o

"Imagination is everything. It's the preview to lifes coming attractions" -Albert Einstein
ibjamn
bitDisciple

Post by ibjamn »

payaso wrote:
ibjamn wrote:I bought my first hobby grade electric and nitro(Stampede and Revo) since I had ran my Blackfoot, 10 - 11 yrs prior.

I didn't know you had a Revo... They are really nice trucks. I've had one now for round 2 years.

Can't keep up with the Maxx, but it's a damn good rig.

Post up some pics of the nitros man. We gots to see em. :-o
I've had it for about 2 years also.
I would posts some, if there is nothing to show. I haven't done much with it because I went a little far on my first 'pede. I could've bought another Revo with the money I put into the lil' pede. I do have a venom failsafe (got it before the wrapper came off the revo box), and aluminum wheel hexes. I haven't messed with it since I got the brushless put in the pede. Actually I need to get another motor. I was doing flips off an embankment, and smashed the exhaust header. I did replace it when I realized why it wasn't running well. But it was too late. Now the motor overheats after 4-5 mins sitting still, and runs like crap. $135 will take care of that, Traxxas' engine replacement program will give me a 3.3 :smile: Then it should work well, if the front wheels stay down long enough :-D
payaso
bitPimp

Post by payaso »

Cool... You sure it's not an air leak? Is the compression gone, or does it have any pinch left?

I really haven't done much with mine either.

I have done

modified header
foc
close ratio gear set
traxxas 7075 push rods
traxxas 7075 tubes
JR servos, and Rx (single steering servo)
Bow Ties on GS SUTCE wheels...

The Maxx gets most of the attention.... :-D