Thinking of getting a Nitro....

All discussions about 1:18 scale and up nitro on & off road RCs.

On or Off-Road?

Poll ended at Tue Sep 11, 2007 6:33 pm

On-Road
No votes
Off-Road
33%
Unsure
33%
Not fussed; I'm great with both :P
33%

Total votes: 6

Wesley
bitPlaya'

Thinking of getting a Nitro....

Post by Wesley »

Hey..

I've been looking at nitros for over 2 years now.. and finally earning; i'm cosidering buying one..

I'm in two minds of what to get though.. On or Off-Road..

I'd love an on-road so that I could enter a few events near me, but there aint alot of places I could practice.. The only real place would be at a RC race trake but it costs £5 [$10] for 4 hours.. Seems alot for a n00b like me.

Pro - Very quick, accurate and precise steering and high quality photo-realistic body shells, possibly more suited to my driving styles.. I'm not a bad drifter or track driver..

Con - Not alot of experience with an on-roader.. Costly to buy and train..

On the other hand, Off-roaders can go pretty much anywhere.. In general, they are slower, but more fun than on-road cars, and can also enter some events.. I have a bit of experience from my Scooby Rally 1/10th [Electric], so may be better equipped for these..

Pro - More fun, More areas to tear up and more suited to me..

Con - Slower, more liable to wrecked parts due to all terrain abilities..

Seen this on special offer at my local. http://www.hbeurope.com/kit.php?lang=en&partNo=66502
Going at £180 [~$360] I like the feel of it, and it seems good value.
The guy at the store says he'll throw everything in for me to go [Fuel, Glow plug kit, Chargers, Batts, etc..]

What do you think for a first?
Can anyone drop me some advice? I'm eyeing up 1/10th AWD's in general..

Wes.
payaso
bitPimp

Post by payaso »

They are both very fun. It really depends which appeals to you more.

I prefer off road. I can do either on or off with my trucks. One thing you want to look for is parts support. If you can't get parts for it easily, it's gonna get frustratin/expensive finding/waiting for them.

If you decide to go with the HotBodies LS10, make sure you get the kit to use full size servos. The way it comes in stock form, it uses micro servos. You'll burn em up faster than you can imagine.

hope this helped a bit....

silla :D
payaso...... :)

"Imagination is everything. It's the preview to lifes coming attractions" -Albert Einstein
Wesley
bitPlaya'

Post by Wesley »

Yeah, it does.. How much d'ya reckon one of those would cost me? And would it be worth buying a few other spares too? If so, what would be essential?

The guy in the store says that there is alotta parts for it, and more parts can be brought in from other product by HPI such as spares from the Firestorm 10T.. Seeing as HB is really a more competitive HPI...

He also told me that for the money, i'm getting more 'car' and overall a better car in comparison the the firestorm, which also is said to be less agile..
sidewinder
bitProphet

Post by sidewinder »

If you don't have any large parking lots around, I'd go for something like that truggy. Well I'd probably go for a 2wd buggy just because I like the "feel" of 2wd better than AWD. that's just me, I like to be able to steer with the throttle. If you get a Buggy/Truggy you can always swap the shocks, springs, and tires to suit your terrain. That way if you feel like running on pavement you can. As for speed, there are some really fast off road RC's out there. How about a 3.3 Jato http://rcvehicles.about.com/gi/dynamic/ ... Truck.html
be sure to check out the video!
The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities. - Ayn Rand
Wesley
bitPlaya'

Post by Wesley »

Woah-ho-holy crap! That thing can shift!!

Wow.. I didn't think they made em that good!

...Still considering, any other pimps got views on this?

Thanx for that one, Sidewinder.. It's spun the wheel a little there..
payaso
bitPimp

Post by payaso »

Sounds like you LHS is pushing the HB LS10 pretty hard. Either he thinks it's a nice rig, or they are trying to clear them off the shelves. Still a great truck.

The reason you don't see more over here, or the reason I don't see that many is there isn't a class for it at the track.

Too small for MT/1/8 arena, and the 1/10 gas truck is for 2wd.

No tracks around here are running a 4wd 1/10 class yet. I stress yet. I'd love to see one, and if 4-5 peeps showed up with them, there would be a class. So for now, you'd be stuck with bashing it. Still fun.

Have fun man

"Imagination is everything. It's the preview to lifes coming attractions" -Albert Einstein
Wesley
bitPlaya'

Post by Wesley »

Lol.. He got himself one too - He thinks highly of it.. As I arrived he was runnin it up an down the store track! :-D

That Jato 3.3.. That brings a whole new meaning to fast don't it??? :cool:
payaso
bitPimp

Post by payaso »

The 3.3 Jato is too fast....lol Did I just say that?

Insane speed is what the Jato puts out. Damn near impossible to put the power to the ground. Lots of people around here run them, and few race them as well. They make a decent racer, but if racin is what you're after, the AE GT2, or the Losi XXXNT are better suited for that.

Whatever you do decide on, let me tell you this. ALL nitro R/Cs are the same as a 1:1 scale vehicles when it comes to speed. When I say this, I mean just like a real car/truck, they can reach speeds to completely destroy them. Take your time, and learn the vehicle. If you start off with a hair up your butt for WOT runs, you be on the wrenching table.

Can't wait to see what you decide on. They are a blast to work on too. Gotta love ripping an engine apart in your family room....lol

SHAUN
bitDisciple

Post by SHAUN »

If $10 is a lot to you I would be considering an electric like a rustler, nitro takes alot of wrenching, they take constant maintenance. Its about 90% wrenching and %10 driving. Also count in fuel cost in the states its about $18 a gallon, and I buy the cheap stuff. If you want a nitro though I would go with anything Traxxas in my personal favor a jato is a great truck, Traxxas is a good brand for beginners and they are pretty much indestructible.
1000+ post of BS.
payaso
bitPimp

Post by payaso »

With some patience and experience, you'll reduce your wrench time. Remember, alot of people are hopping up their vehicles. Wrenching cause your shit won't run is one story, but wrencking on your shit cause you installed a new part in another.

I drive 90% of the time, and wrench the other 10%. I hate wrenching at the track, so I try to take it easy during qualifiers and hammer it for the main. Our nitro mains are only 15 min for club races, so if I DNF, I just pack it up. I'll work when I get to the house.

Once you get to know your truck/car inside and out, you'll get a better understanding on how to keep it off the work bench and on the track.

Almost as much hassle as electrics.

Yeah you have the cost of fuel, but it's cheap compared to electric. $20 a gallon, compared to $60+ for a batt pack. Yup, the serious guys use a 4200mah pack once. That's right. One time and it gets the plug clipped off and tossed in the garbage..

One batt for one 6 min race... :?

You get the idea...

sg219
bitPimp

Post by sg219 »

Get an off-road because you can run it anywhere, flat area, hills, mud, trails, pavement or wherever.

Or...

Nothing.

Unless you plan on racing on-road. Competitively.

I have an on-road which was GIVEN to me(the ONLY reason I have it). It is fun, but flat surfaces get boring to me. There is no challenge to drive by yourself on a flat surface unless you have competition or a planned and laid out course.

With off-road, you can find you obstacles and conquer them.

Otherwise go electric! Nitro is a headache unless you are devoted and patient. In my opinion.
crazydave
bitPimp

Post by crazydave »

SG pretty much summed up what I was going to say.
...crazy man, crazy...dig it.
crazydave's Gallery
Ratfink says: "Man, it's the craziest"
Murdoch
bitDisciple

Post by Murdoch »

payaso wrote:]

Yeah you have the cost of fuel, but it's cheap compared to electric. $20 a gallon, compared to $60+ for a batt pack. Yup, the serious guys use a 4200mah pack once. That's right. One time and it gets the plug clipped off and tossed in the garbage..

One batt for one 6 min race... :?

You get the idea...

can't wait til they get their shit together in regards to lipo. Two 40 min mains and the batt is still good as new.

I actually competed with lipos once. While the others were busy doing their battery maintenance, I was sittin there charging my lipo and just enjoying the other classes that were racing.
Wesley
bitPlaya'

Post by Wesley »

Thanks for the great info, guys! It's really helped swing my opinion and views...

And i'm going to try for an 4WD off-roader, preferably a buggy...

The guy at my local has just recieved a HoBao Hyper 7, complete with radio gear and roto start system.
Offered me it at £200.

What do you guys think?

Also included was a £150 remote with 20 model memory, etc... With stick-shift operation.

Do you think it'd be worth keeping or do y'all reckon a Digi-Propo [pistol-grip] remote would be better?
viperdout
bitGangsta'

Post by viperdout »

Dunno if you've bought anything yet, but I have a suggestion:

http://www.kyoshoamerica.com/carsandtru ... 31354B.asp

http://www.kyoshoamerica.com/carsandtru ... 31277B.asp

Both the buggy and truggy are 400.00 US, and they both come with FM radios, fuel bottle, and glow igniters (though the last two kinda suck and I'd recommend getting your own). Personally, I'm a big kyosho fan, and the car's are built fantastically. Kyosho also makes a car called the Inferno GT, which is a rally car. Classes are starting to form over here for them, though I have no idea about their popularity in Britain. With the buggy or truggy you can't really go wrong, except the buggy's motor is not legal for racing (buggy class requires a .21, while both of those cars have a .28). Som ebody correct me here if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure the truggy motor size limit is .28. Either way, I've driven them a fair amount, and I like both.