Sell Yer Nitro Cars & Trucks!

All discussions about 1:18 scale and up nitro on & off road RCs.
SHAUN
bitDisciple

Sell Yer Nitro Cars & Trucks!

Post by SHAUN »

I was in the hobby shop today and they were talking about china closing down a bunch of plants that create nitro methane. Byron says that 30% nitro wont be made by any one any more! and 20% will end up at nearly $50 a gallon!

I also noticed there is another thread on RCC and several more saying its true.

I grabbed the last 3 quarts on the shelf. :( I'm going to go check out another hobby shop tomorrow, maybe see if I can stock up.

I really wish that none of this were true, but it looks like it is.

Anyone want to buy a nice rc10gt with alot of ups? :lol: Trade for electric!
1000+ post of BS.
crazydave
bitPimp

Post by crazydave »

Yeah, and just when I get into nitro. Figures. Still we'll wait and see, I can't believe the Chinese are the only ones who can produce nitro methane. Ether alcohol can't be too hard to produce, we can make it out of pot seeds. Sounds too much like an internet rumor to me.

Worse case scenario we'll go bio-diesel. There's already diesel conversions out there. Things change, but we adapt and things really don't change, ya know?
...crazy man, crazy...dig it.
crazydave's Gallery
Ratfink says: "Man, it's the craziest"
sidewinder
bitProphet

Post by sidewinder »

I don't know how volital the fuel can be but I'd bet you can use alky-haul as the folks down here abouts say. You should be able to get a small still and brew your own...if it works for the sprint car guys on a budget it ought to be adaptable to a nitro car. Just get a pressure cooker, take the saftey valve out ind insert som copper tubing... Ah, not that I've ever had a still :innocent:
The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities. - Ayn Rand
45tr0
bitNinja

Post by 45tr0 »

:-D

so dave is gonna be running his truck on dope, and sidey's running his on moonshine??

I'll run mine on meth - sure, it'll be all twitchy and jumpy, and might collapse every now and then, but jeez it'll be fast, and imagine the runtimes!!
"You guys are Wack"
"Wiggity Wack?"
"Nope, just regular kind"
payaso
bitPimp

Post by payaso »

Nitro fuel is not going anywhere. Nitro R/C is BIG money for R/C companys. If any of that were true, it'd be on every site.

And people can blend their own anyways.

Don't worry dave, plenty of nitro fumes in your future. :-o

silla :D
payaso...... :)

"Imagination is everything. It's the preview to lifes coming attractions" -Albert Einstein
BilboBaggins
bitHobbit

Post by BilboBaggins »

Isn't the Nitro (mixed with alcohol) used in fuel RC cars similar to the Nitro used in Top Fuel Drag Racing. The Drag racers use a higher Nitro to Alcohol ratio than the RC guys.
Sitting at my workbench in my comfortable little Hobbit hole.
payaso
bitPimp

Post by payaso »

BilboBaggins wrote:Isn't the Nitro (mixed with alcohol) used in fuel RC cars similar to the Nitro used in Top Fuel Drag Racing. The Drag racers use a higher Nitro to Alcohol ratio than the RC guys.

Correct. Those guys are burnin way more than the R/C guys.

"Imagination is everything. It's the preview to lifes coming attractions" -Albert Einstein
BilboBaggins
bitHobbit

Post by BilboBaggins »

BilboBaggins wrote:Isn't the Nitro (mixed with alcohol) used in fuel RC cars similar to the Nitro used in Top Fuel Drag Racing. The Drag racers use a higher Nitro to Alcohol ratio than the RC guys.
payaso wrote:Correct. Those guys are burnin way more than the R/C guys.
What is it like 4-5 gallons per 1/4 mile at 90% Nitro. The money disappears real quick on the strip.
SHAUN
bitDisciple

Post by SHAUN »

Yes thats true. And I was just talking to a guy that I run slotcars with about ordering a fiber glass hood, he also runs 1:1 drags. Then of course we talked about racing, and it seems that china has closed 8 of 12 plants. The NHRA has released a few things about having to end the season early. I really can't believe that they can't produce nitro methane in the US.
1000+ post of BS.
BilboBaggins
bitHobbit

Post by BilboBaggins »

SHAUN wrote:Yes thats true. And I was just talking to a guy that I run slotcars with about ordering a fiber glass hood, he also runs 1:1 drags. Then of course we talked about racing, and it seems that china has closed 8 of 12 plants. The NHRA has released a few things about having to end the season early. I really can't believe that they can't produce nitro methane in the US.
From what I remember (this info is at least a decade old) the Chinese Nitro was purer than what the drag racers used to get.

I might have to Google it tonight to see what the problem is with making Nitro.
SHAUN
bitDisciple

Post by SHAUN »

They are trying to make the air cleaner for the Olympics.
1000+ post of BS.
BilboBaggins
bitHobbit

Post by BilboBaggins »

SHAUN wrote:They are trying to make the air cleaner for the Olympics.
So it wasn't because of the earthquakes that displaced 5 million people over there.
SHAUN
bitDisciple

Post by SHAUN »

I haven't done alot of researching but that may be another reason. Maybe it was 2 things combined?
1000+ post of BS.
payaso
bitPimp

Post by payaso »

NHRA nitromethane is alot more "pure" and regulated and that's why they are feeling the pinch. R/C uses a desensitized version and should not be a problem getting it this summer.

I'm going to start using the Byrons Gen2 fuel this season and Byrons said there won't be a problem...... :-)

BilboBaggins
bitHobbit

Post by BilboBaggins »

I won't feel the pinch, I only run electric. :-D