My new mini-z mr02/rm

Use this gallery to show off your own rides - 1:28 scale and above - video's and images no matter if they be bangin, slangin, or just barely hangin.
HACHI-RYOKU
bitPimp

My new mini-z mr02/rm

Post by HACHI-RYOKU »

Well, got my fet problem worked out and I now have an extremely fast mini-z.

Stats;
2X3 stack 7317 fets
Plasma-Atomic motor
9 tooth pinion
Bearings on order
Oil shocks on order
Better tires on order
Some other stuff on order

This is all part of a project of mine. I'm going to take a car from each maker and do the same basic mods to all of them, then I'll do a good review so that 1:28 scale newcomers can have nonbiased information available to them when deciding on what car to choose. It will probably take a few months to get this all done.

They will all get a plasma-atomic motor, bearings and a 3X2 stack of fets. None will get Li-polies batts. I've already done a Gen1 Xmod and I have a Xmod Evo waiting for fets. Next, I'll get an Iwaver 02 and then whatever after that. I might get one of each of the mini-z cars. ex: mr-01, mr-015 and an mr-010AWD. I will most likely pick up an Xmod EVO truck as well. I'm kinda saving that one for last, as I hope to see some different bodies and their electronics are the same as the cars from what I've read. The biggest difference would be handling.

Right now that NSX blows away the modded Gen 1 Xmod and the mostly unmodded Xmod EVO, but I'm hopeful the Xmod EVO will surprise me when I get the parts needed to finish it as it seems to perform very well stock (mostly). The mini-z mr02 spins out on pavement when I gun it. Waiting on better tires. I may put a larger pinion in it too as it's got plenty of balls.

Some of the cars will need a little extra. For example, the Gen 1 Xmod needed an alloy joint cup and tight turns mod (resistor) to really be competative.
Cause I ride around town on my low-rider bicycle.
betty.k
bitPimp

Post by betty.k »

a ball diff will help the spinout problem, you can adjust them to give better traction control.

i think after a few weeks with this one you might change your mind about buying i wavers and evos! :-o
i used to be cool
DarkTari
bitPimp

Post by DarkTari »

This is all part of a project of mine. I'm going to take a car from each maker and do the same basic mods to all of them, then I'll do a good review so that 1:28 scale newcomers can have nonbiased information available to them when deciding on what car to choose. It will probably take a few months to get this all done
Good Project(s) you got there! We appreciate the time & effort you put
forth to write a comparison test for us!

Just another example of Pimp's havin each others back :-o
ynad
bitNinja

Post by ynad »

try foam tires, you'll like'em :-)
HACHI-RYOKU
bitPimp

Post by HACHI-RYOKU »

betty.k wrote:a ball diff will help the spinout problem, you can adjust them to give better traction control.

i think after a few weeks with this one you might change your mind about buying i wavers and evos! :-o
Cool. I've already got an Iwaver ball diff on order. I also need to get some good wheel nuts. One of my stock plastic ones (left rear) flew off today and the wheel went flying with it. I still haven't found the shaped brushing that sits on the inside of the wheel. Really kinda need that. I may have to make one from scratch unless the Iwaver ball diff set comes with one. Then I'll be ok. Anybody know the answer to that one?
SuperFly
bitPimp

Post by SuperFly »

HACHI-RYOKU wrote:
betty.k wrote:a ball diff will help the spinout problem, you can adjust them to give better traction control.

Cool. I've already got an Iwaver ball diff on order. I also need to get some good wheel nuts. One of my stock plastic ones (left rear) flew off today and the wheel went flying with it. I still haven't found the shaped brushing that sits on the inside of the wheel. Really kinda need that. I may have to make one from scratch unless the Iwaver ball diff set comes with one. Then I'll be ok. Anybody know the answer to that one?
Yeah, it's part of the diff. Let us know if your iWaver ball diff comes with a bent axle. Both mine and hue35s were slightly bent out of the package.

I look forward to your review. I'll bet $10 the Kyosho MR02 comes out on top. :-)
HACHI-RYOKU
bitPimp

Post by HACHI-RYOKU »

Cool. Thanx SF. That should be here in the next few days. Hopefully it's not bent. I'll be pissed if it is.
ynad
bitNinja

Post by ynad »

HACHI-RYOKU wrote:

the missing bushing is the same as Xmods yellow plastic ones.
:-)
HACHI-RYOKU
bitPimp

Post by HACHI-RYOKU »

I found it. But then I got the ball diff the next day so I don't even need it. The axle is not bent on mine. Perfectly straight and runs pretty smooth.
MafiaS
bitGangsta'

Post by MafiaS »

Hachi, since you're doin all this testing I think it is very helpful, but could you possible show vidoes of them in action?

I love to see the speed diff in a plain Mr-02 stock, compared to a plain MR-02 with added FETS...no lipo, lion stuff, just regular battz.

Thanks
SuperFly
bitPimp

Post by SuperFly »

MafiaS wrote:I love to see the speed diff in a plain Mr-02 stock, compared to a plain MR-02 with added FETS...no lipo, lion stuff, just regular battz.
I'm not sure the if FETs alone make that big of a difference compared to the fact that you can run a hotter motor with the FET stacks.

We've been running stock cars with Xspeed motors for a while now, and they seemed like they had all the speed we could ever want with our usual track layouts.

I finally got my Nellied MR02 running last week (with an old PN S03 motor), and I have to admit that the combination of good tires, MM chassis and McLaren F1 body made it possible to harness and make use of the extra power.

Oh, duh. I just posted up videos of it! Check out my thread in "Tracks", mafiaS. The first vid is hue and I driving stock MR02s (hue in the orange and white Supra, me in the yellow and white NSX), RM, xspeed motors. The second vid is me driving a Nelly turbo'd MR02 MM, PN S03 motor, disc damper, +1 tie rod, etc. You can see the difference pretty well. I'm not even getting into the trigger with the McLaren, and in the NSX I'm at full throttle most of the way around the track.
MafiaS
bitGangsta'

Post by MafiaS »

lol...I figured that, but I can't view your videos..I don't have QT player. Probably should get it then check it out.
betty.k
bitPimp

Post by betty.k »

lol...I figured that, but I can't view your videos..I don't have QT player. Probably should get it then check it out.
you can get real player from here:
http://pack.google.com/pack/pack_installer.html
you don't need to load all that other stuff if you don't want.
i downloaded the vids from the links cabo put up, using realplayer they work just fine :-o
I'm not sure the if FETs alone make that big of a difference compared to the fact that you can run a hotter motor with the FET stacks.
fets alone make a huge difference. it's not as pronounced as it is with bits and zips but a considerable increase in torque is gained.
put the xspeed back in the nelly rig then compare it with the stock car running an xspeed. you'll see :-o
the combination of good tires, MM chassis and McLaren F1 body made it possible to harness and make use of the extra power.
you rock! :rockon:

hachi, your wife is still hot :search: :lol:
i used to be cool
HACHI-RYOKU
bitPimp

Post by HACHI-RYOKU »

I don't have any external fets boards, but my 2 X 3 stack of 7317's and a plasma-atomic motor rock. Deffinately faster than stock. The difference is easy to see.

Mafia, I don't have any video of a pre-fetted mini-z. I just have the one MR-02 that is already fet modded. I do plan on getting video of the final products though. Your idea is a good one. Wish I would have thought of it before. I'll get another MR-02 someday though to compare it to.
HACHI-RYOKU
bitPimp

Post by HACHI-RYOKU »

HACHI-RYOKU wrote:my 2 X 3 stack of 7317's and a plasma-atomic motor rock. Deffinately faster than stock. The difference is easy to see.
Did rock. The fets blew after some hard racing (1 1/2 hrs steady). So, if somebody out there is planning on getting these, make sure to give your car a rest every now and then. Not sure on other peoples findings. Maybe there was something else wrong on my car. I haven't heard of anybody else blowing these fets in a MR-02.

Waiting on a spider right now. That should do the trick.

Just some more info to jot down for my review.