Trying out the carbon fiber paint skills...

Use this gallery to show off your own rides - 1:28 scale and above - video's and images no matter if they be bangin, slangin, or just barely hangin.
Sporttracguy
bitNinja

Trying out the carbon fiber paint skills...

Post by Sporttracguy »

The MLST2 was in desperate need for a new shell so I hit the Local Hobby store and picked up a Bronco body. This was my first shot at a carbon fiber look and all in all it looks pretty good. No decals yet but some bitpimp logos are on their way. Im sort of wishing now that I had done the roof in CF too but other than that it turned out nice.

Started out with a transparent charcoal metallic, then laid down some drywall tape and sprayed silver metallic, pulled the drywall tape (be sure to de-tack the tape so you dont pull up the previous layer of paint) and then backed everything with black.
STG
Last edited by Sporttracguy on Mon May 11, 2009 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
crazydave
bitPimp

Re: Trying out for carbon fiber paint skills...

Post by crazydave »

That looks cool. I love those Bronco bodies. I turned mine into more a of a racer, by putting the body down low, adding a spoiler, and getting a little carried away with the decals. I should update my thread and show you what it looks like now. :???:
...crazy man, crazy...dig it.
crazydave's Gallery
Ratfink says: "Man, it's the craziest"
Sporttracguy
bitNinja

Post by Sporttracguy »

Show'n some pimp love :cool:
STG
Sporttracguy
bitNinja

Post by Sporttracguy »

Nothing like freshly pulled overspray film to reveal a shiny new paint job.

I decided to reverse the color sequence when doing the carbon fiber :-x it still sort of works but not nearly as good as the bronco,,,live and learn i guess

This M3 body is going on my Xray M18

STG
Sporttracguy
bitNinja

Re: Trying out the carbon fiber paint skills...

Post by Sporttracguy »

Update on the mlst2:

I some how managed to compleatly smash out the hub of my baja wheels so I was due for some new rims. I picked up some from thetoyz.com lhttp://www.thetoyz.com/cart/thetoyz_det ... &cat_name= and using the " boiling technique" I easily removed the tires and here are my new wheels. I used a silver sharpee to "chrome out" the edges...

Enjoy,
STG
PimpFloyd
bitGangsta'

Post by PimpFloyd »

GREAT job on both projects!! The carbon fiber bits look great! The dry wall mesh tape idea is brilliant!! How did you de-stickify the mesh?

Yep, those Bronco bodies are really cool but I'm "feeling" the M3 too and the metalic blue against the carbon fiber is the cats ass!

Regarding the tire boiling - the tires you removed...did you install them originally and did you use CA as the bonding agent?

I tired the boiling technique once and had success...melting wheels LOL!

I'll have to give it another try and will try to keep the wheels away from the bottom of the pan next time.

BTW - I like the look of the new wheels on the Bronoco...
Sporttracguy
bitNinja

Post by Sporttracguy »

PimpFloyd wrote:GREAT job on both projects!! The carbon fiber bits look great! The dry wall mesh tape idea is brilliant!! How did you de-stickify the mesh?

Yep, those Bronco bodies are really cool but I'm "feeling" the M3 too and the metalic blue against the carbon fiber is the cats ass!

Regarding the tire boiling - the tires you removed...did you install them originally and did you use CA as the bonding agent?

I tired the boiling technique once and had success...melting wheels LOL!

I'll have to give it another try and will try to keep the wheels away from the bottom of the pan next time.

BTW - I like the look of the new wheels on the Bronoco...
To remove some of the tack, just stick the mesh to some printer paper a few times and pull away,,,if all else fails, just turn the mesh upside down, no sticky that way for sure :-o

The original wheel tire package was factory glued baja setup. When I broke the hub out of the factory rim the tires still had some meat on them so I just gently warmed them up in a pot of boiling water and the came right off (the tires float so I had no problem with the hot bottom) I then used CA to glue the new rims on.

STG
PimpFloyd
bitGangsta'

Post by PimpFloyd »

Thanks STG - I'm looking forward to seeing the M3 when you get it finished and mounted! :-o :-o
Sporttracguy
bitNinja

Post by Sporttracguy »

PimpFloyd wrote:Thanks STG - I'm looking forward to seeing the M3 when you get it finished and mounted! :-o :-o
Man, I completely forgot to put up pictures of that shell on the chassis :?

Its a little beat up since the shell was fresh but you get the idea....I drive this thing on cement so it wears quickly.

Its a scary beast, 7 cells (with custom CF battery strap), mamba 8000kv motor

STG
PimpFloyd
bitGangsta'

Post by PimpFloyd »

Man, that XRay looks nice! I bet it DOES go like snot!

Great mask job too regarding the hood and trunk :-o

So are you running foam tires on that?
Sporttracguy
bitNinja

Post by Sporttracguy »

PimpFloyd wrote:Man, that XRay looks nice! I bet it DOES go like snot!

Great mask job too regarding the hood and trunk :-o

So are you running foam tires on that?
The tires are rubber (dont know the compound though) I used to run foams but they get so torn up on the cement. The rubber holds up better but I prefer to run foams (when I can afford the $$$)

STG