Painting for the LHS

Use this gallery to show off your own rides - 1:28 scale and above - video's and images no matter if they be bangin, slangin, or just barely hangin.
crazydave
bitPimp

Painting for the LHS

Post by crazydave »

The manager of the nearby Hobbytown got a plan to raise some extra money for the slow season, and that is to have me paint up some bodies. Its hard for me to place value on my work, so this works out for me, I can paint, and he can sell. So I guess we're gonna see how this works out.

Here is the first body I painted for them. Of coarse I did my usual flame job, but I didn't feel like the flames flowed with the boxy shape of the body, so I tried some Glamoflauge to tie it all together. My first attempt at any kind of camo, so I'm really proud of the results... almost hate to sell it.

What do you think, is it gonna sell?

...crazy man, crazy...dig it.
crazydave's Gallery
Ratfink says: "Man, it's the craziest"
VooDooMafia
bitPimp

Re: Painting for the LHS

Post by VooDooMafia »

Looks good, as usuall :)

not sure what they are going to be selling your bodies for but I am sure it will spark interest
I Don't care what you say PIMPIN aint easy, you Broke A$$ Mother F*&Ker
sidewinder
bitProphet

Post by sidewinder »

It's pretty cool Dave, I have no idea of how much something like that would sell for but I'm sure there should be a bunch of interest.
The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities. - Ayn Rand
crazydave
bitPimp

Post by crazydave »

Well, it's going for $70, I pocket $50. $25 for the body, 2 sheets of Parma masking film at $5 a pop, a pack Exacto blades, $3, then there's the 8 colors of paint, and the last of my $10 can of Spaz Stix, I'm barely breaking even. I get nothing for my 25 hours of work. :o

I made the mistake of letting him set the price, and yeah I could've demanded more, but not only is that not my a style, but I was so shocked, I didn't know what to say, I just wanted to get the hell out of there and hide. Then I come home and see the guys on the RC Driver forum hated it. I'm pretty profoundly depressed right now. Shit like this makes me feel doomed to a life of making pizzas for shit for money.

I can't help but to think this is karma smacking me down for going off on Shaun yesterday. I didn't mean to, I feel bad. He just annoys me. I can't help it, but I know that's not it, because life has a habit of smacking me down every time I think I'm good at something.

At any rate, I'm not painting any more bodies unless all materials are supplied, and they kiss my ass and tell me how cool I am.

EDIT: Well one dude said he'd by it, and this guy Evil3 who is a really good painter, I've seen his work in Parma ads, gave me some really good constructive criticism, but said it was a great paint job. So that makes me feel better. He was saying it should go in the range of $55 plus the cost of the body which is right where I was shooting for. I thought I would get more since I supplied the body. But it was a freebie body, so I'm going to take the crack dealer approach, and just let them know, I let them slide for the first one, since I had the extra body, but they need to provide the body next time, and I still need to make sure I get $45-50 in my pocket. I think that sounds fair. I need the practice, but I aint painting for free!
crazydave's Gallery
VooDooMafia
bitPimp

Post by VooDooMafia »

Don't let that get you down dude, you paint jobs are the shit and have been for years.

got any painted bodies to fit a micro t? I will buy one or two and support a fellow pimp :)

BTW I have always loved your flame jobs, for some odd reason they always look super good beside the ones I do :shock: I guess I should stick to what I do best and leave the flames to you... 8-)
sidewinder
bitProphet

Post by sidewinder »

I'd take that as high praise if Evil3 liked it, I love his stuff...although given the choice between the two of you I'd go with you because his sense of colors are usually just a little to wild for my taste.

BTW do you work at a pizza chain or a small privately owned place? Just asking because I don't know if they still do it, but it used to be that if you worked for Dominoes for a while they had a program that would end up with you owning your own shop. I know a guy who owns three shops now and he started as a delivery driver. If there are Dominoes around you might want to talk with the owner of one and see if they still have the program and how long you'd have to work for them to be eligible. ...but if it works out for you I expect a lot of cheese on my pizza when you have the grand opening party.
The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities. - Ayn Rand
crazydave
bitPimp

Post by crazydave »

VDM, I don't have any bodies that aven't already been beaten on, but if you wanted me to paint something, I'd cut you a deal. You've done me right in the past! :-o

SW, So you see what I'm saying? I shouldn't have let the kiddies comments get to me, but it was a timing thing. Evil3's comment really helped get my head back on track. Not only do I appreciate the quality of his work, but his constructive criticism was dead on. He saw the same problems I saw, but no one else seems to see. He has a really good eye.

And we're corporate as hell at my place. I've got all kinds of levels of management crawling up my ass.

The body hasn't sold yet, but I sent my wife down there for some Micro-t parts yesterday, and he told her like 50 people got my info, because they wanted paint jobs. We'll see, haven't heard nothing yet, but while my wife was there a guy buying a Micro-T was checking out the body, and overheard that she was my wife, then got my info, because he wants me to paint his crotch rocket. Now that's interesting. If I paint a motorcycle or two, get some examples of what I can do, I might be in for some real money, but once again I'm realizing my limitations. Maybe I could get him to pay half up front so I can invest in the lacquers, sandpapers, rubbing compounds, etc., that stuff aint cheap, and probably a spray gun for the top coats too. :???:
crazydave's Gallery
VooDooMafia
bitPimp

Post by VooDooMafia »

CD I agree make sure to get some cash up front to cover the materials cost at least that way no matter what happens after you are not out of pocket on that stuff.

Also remember that even though people might not like the paint job it might just be that they don't like "THAT" paint job but they do like the quality and just want something different done:)

I keep my hope up for you on the paint jobs its just a matter of time before everyone at your local track has a CD custom :-o
sidewinder
bitProphet

Post by sidewinder »

Absolutely get enough up front to at least cover your expenses, a couple of years ago a buddy that owned Hamlin Racing Engines built a motor for a pretty well known racer (around here anyway) and actually put some regular customers on hold to do it. He had around $20K of his own in the motor, something happened (I have no idea what exactly) and after the engine was finished the driver canceled the order. Steve (Hamlin) was stuck with a motor that cost him 20K, should sell for 25K and no customer. It nearly put him out of business. Get the money up front.

OK, now that I've rambled on, absolutely do it! You never know where it could lead, you might even end up with your own custom garage. You could be the future Chip Foose...minus the really dumb looking smile that he has (I hope).