Now its Dave's H2

Use this gallery to show off your own rides - 1:28 scale and above - video's and images no matter if they be bangin, slangin, or just barely hangin.
evoraptor
bitNinja

Post by evoraptor »

crazydave wrote:I died my parts black last night, and it was a partial success/borderline disaster.

The suspension arms, dogbones, and steering arm take right to the dye, no propbem. The shocks wouldn't take dye for shit. After an hour and a half, they are still purple. The upper suspension mounts take the dye, but the front one came out a little light. So when I went to pull the rear one, and it looked the same, I threw it back in for a few more minutes. That was just a minute too long. It started to melt and deformed quite badly. The gear case was taking the die, but takes longer because its larger, and when I melted that suspension mount, I yanked that gearbox right out. So now its a swirly mess of purple, black, and orange.

I managed to melt and stretch the suspension mount into a position where its functional, and it don't look too bad. The black suspension does look better with the body on, but overall, I'm not sure it was worth a days stress, and a deformed part. :-?
Aww that sucks :-?
Okay, I guess im not dyeing my parts then. I'm just gonna get some black paint or something so I don't fuck up, cause if I do, its gonna be worse than yours. Will the nail polish style work? ..cause its cheap..
crazydave
bitPimp

Post by crazydave »

METALHEAD wrote:Crazydave, I gotta ask. Is that the RS "lift kit" and upgraded rubber? Most of the pics I see of these Evo's are stock, but yours be looking gooood. That's what I'm talking about for when I pick one up...that look. No worries man, I ain't no cheezey ass copy cat, but I love that lifted look with bigger tires...but not tooo big. I keep the rediculous shit for my BIG bad boys. With these smaller scales, I really like the realistic aspect. Anyway, props on the paint too, that looks great. I know how tough it is to pull off a good paint job in this small of a scale.
Yep, its got the lift kit. I saw one of these in the the store and thought it was already lifted w/ the offroad, tires. They said, "Nope, came out of the box that way". So I was curious, but when I saw ynad's w/ the BFG mudders, an Xmods truck went high on my priority list.
After reading your last post on your dying ordeal I'm wondering if a guy to just "color" those stubborn pieces with a Sharpie. :???: Kinda tacky, I admit, but it seems easy enough and you could always touch them up if they rubbed through or got scratched. Just a thought.
Its hard to cover large areas with a Sharpie, it comes out purple and blotchy, besides rubbing off on everything and making a mess, so no I wouldn't suggest that. Spray paint just chips off. There's a risk involved with dying, so if you have to change the color, just be careful. Personally, I'd leave the shocks and upper suspension mounts alone, if I had the chance to do it again.

Thanks for the tips and compliments, ynad. I wouldn't call any of my pics great, but I think I take a pretty good one when I feel like it. I know I also take a lot of half ass pics because I'm in a hurry, but I am always looking to improve.

Here's a detail of the front end after the dye job. It came out pretty good, I should have been happy with the rear mount as is, as the front don't really look bad, I just wanted to get that last bit of purplish tinge out, that was still swirled into spots.

Here's the damaged part. I took it from the good side. So if you're looking at it thinking, "Ohh that aint so bad", remember I spent a couple hours burning my finger tips, reshaping it over the burner, to get it fitting, and then functional... and I took this from the good side. :lol:

Also notice the color of the shocks are hardly changed on the rear end, this is after being in the simmering dye for 45 minutes like all the rest the parts.

Here again with the body, it probably does look better, and despite it all, may have been worth the effort. :lol:

... and here is the last picture I'm taking of this freakin' body. Even got a sparkle for ynad. :-)

...crazy man, crazy...dig it.
crazydave's Gallery
Ratfink says: "Man, it's the craziest"
ynad
bitNinja

Post by ynad »

:-D :-D :-D 8-)
METALHEAD
bitHood

Post by METALHEAD »

crazydave wrote: Its hard to cover large areas with a Sharpie, it comes out purple and blotchy, besides rubbing off on everything and making a mess, so no I wouldn't suggest that. Spray paint just chips off. There's a risk involved with dying, so if you have to change the color, just be careful. Personally, I'd leave the shocks and upper suspension mounts alone, if I had the chance to do it again.

I've had pretty good success in covering fairly large areas with a Sharpie. But when I think about it, I guess the key is that you need a brand new Sharpie and the material you're covering has to take the ink. I did pick up an EVO and tried to "Sharpie" the steering arm from the lift kit and you're absolutely right. Not only is it a pain in the ass, but it does just rub right off. Some softer plastics seem to take to the ink more, but this does not. I'm just gonna run it orange for awhile, but from you're experience on dying, I'm sure I'll break down and do some parts later...ya know...when they need a pick-me-up. Good info none-the-less crazydave. :-o
Tuner1989
bitNinja

Post by Tuner1989 »

Dont know if CD posted his truck on Xmodsrc.com Or not, but it's on the top 10 Xmods.

http://www.xmodsrc.com/rate-a-car/top10.php
betty.k
bitPimp

Post by betty.k »

he probably didn't, one of my rides turned up there without my knowledge once.

at least they didn't try to cover up his name this time! :lol:
i used to be cool
crazydave
bitPimp

Post by crazydave »

Actually I did. Since someone else got in the top ten with my Acura, I keep trying. This is the first time my own entry actually made it. :lol:
...crazy man, crazy...dig it.
crazydave's Gallery
Ratfink says: "Man, it's the craziest"