New Project from the Hobbit Hole (Can You Say 57)

Use this gallery to show off your own rides - 1:28 scale and above - video's and images no matter if they be bangin, slangin, or just barely hangin.
BilboBaggins
bitHobbit

New Project from the Hobbit Hole (Can You Say 57)

Post by BilboBaggins »

OK, I have an addiction to the Xmod Evo (3 cars 3 trucks so far)

When I was playing with the neighbors the kids were playing with the Pontiac and one of the wheels came off. Losing the damned spacer.

Oh well I had bought a 1/25th scale model kit to put on an Evo chassis so this chassis has been volunteered. I heard of others putting these bodies on xmods but I haven't seen it here.

It looked like a good idea but there were many problems I still haven't figured out how to overcome yet.

Let me show you from the start. Since the extension parts were made the same way (only even longer.)

The Original Idea.

Project Hemi Barracuda. I Love Cudas, especially the Fastbacks. My parents had a 67 Barracuda Fastback (273 V8 I think, not a hemi but a nice engine).

I pulled the body out of the box and found that the chassis was about 3/4 of an inch too short.

So out comes the sheet styrene. I cut several piece to length and width and glued them together with Games Workshop plastic glue. This particular glue melts the pieces together.

Highly scientific measurements were taken and used.

I made the cuts and holes and screwed the newly extended chassis together.

Looking good so far. Then I put the body down on the chassis and found I was in a "Houston, we have a problem" moment. It did look good for a second.

Unfortunately to sit the body as low as I wish it to go I had tire rub in the rear and forget about trying to steer. Damn, Back to the drawing board. I need to get the rims to sit further inside the body (or have it sit a little higher), I did shave the inside of a set of rims but it's still not enough yet. I'm determined to have a HEMI CUDA Xmod.

Luckily I picked up some snap-tite models the day before I discovered the problem. One was 24th scale with a short wheelbase and I would have to only extend the chassis a little. The other was 25th scale and I had to add nearly another half inch over the Cuda wheelbase.

OK, I'm nuts. I went with the long body, because it was COOL.

Back to the styrene and made new extenders (that I added some more to stiffen it).

Yes In know the motor is wired backwards in this image.

I decided to use the standard Xmod mounting system and I created the front slot to use the one clip from the Pontiac. I figured it was fitting since the bodies were both GM products. Several strips of bar styrene and it worked. The plastic glue is holding.

The I made the rear mount with bar styrene attached to the rear clip. I glued it using the plastic glue and got it to the ride height I wanted. After it dried I reinforced it with a little more styrene.

If you haven't figured out the body I choose then lets see it clipped to the chassis before painting.

Yes a 1957 Chevy Bel Air 2 door.

Now to paint. I know everyone loves either red or black 57's. But I dared to be different. I like how it looks and I hope you do also. I still have a few thing to do, like making the interior fit and a coat or three of clear to shine it up. The details (except the fuel injection decals) were hand painted. I know there are a few errors but I'll live with it.

Now I still have the little 24th scale body and the Hemi sitting to work on. I think I'll leave the Hemi to last. I have lots of other projects (my Warhammer and Lord of the Rings armies have loads of models to paint) to do before I get to either of them.

Now when are we having an Xmod Competition? :-D
Sitting at my workbench in my comfortable little Hobbit hole.
Bird
bitPimp

Post by Bird »

:shock:

That's awesome, Bilbo... love the tail-dragger stance. Also love that the nylocks match the paint(I'm a big fan of color-coordination)...

I was experimenting with early '60s Impala bodies on my iwaver 01 a while back, but then I scored my KCGP10 Skyline Autoscale and that went out the window... might have to look into using one of my gen-1 xmods for that...

Oh, yeah... don't fret, my hobbit friend, a bP 1/28 contest is definately in the works :-)
sg219
bitPimp

Post by sg219 »

Great work pimp!! I'm lovin' it. :-o
BilboBaggins
bitHobbit

Post by BilboBaggins »

I went with an Evo instead of the Gen 1 because it was easier to lengthen. I may try to use a Gen 1 for the next one I try but I'll have to do something about the center shaft. Evos are just so much easier to extend.

I was really wanted a Nomad but I was unwilling to spend as much as the stores wanted for a body.
betty.k
bitPimp

Post by betty.k »

oh man, dat one loco chebby choo got dere! :-o
i used to be cool
payaso
bitPimp

Post by payaso »

Wow bilbo.... :eek: That's dope on a rope my friend.

Looks very cool. Impressive work dude.

silla :D
payaso...... :)

"Imagination is everything. It's the preview to lifes coming attractions" -Albert Einstein
honda_s2000
bitNinja

Post by honda_s2000 »

OH MY GOD :eek:

That's INSANE , The body is perfect, the detail is insane, I just cant find any words right now other than "That shit is fucking awsome" ! :cool:

EDIT :
Oh, yeah... don't fret, my hobbit friend, a bP 1/28 contest is definately in the works :-)
Not untill next year though :o . Allthough I do know one of the prizes :lol:
We don't need no god damn roads!
BilboBaggins
bitHobbit

Post by BilboBaggins »

payaso wrote:Wow bilbo.... :eek: That's dope on a rope my friend.

Looks very cool. Impressive work dude.
I still have a few things left to do.

Interior.
Ball Bearings (and the disc brake covers)
Stage 2 motor.
License Plate (I have some decal film but I have to design the Shire Plate)
Some touch ups.
CLEAR COAT

The kids in my neighborhood (big and little) already want to take this for a spin. I got it this far because one of my neighbors is moving (with his 6 kids) and he loves the 57's. He has a model of a 57 drag car on his work bench.

I'll keep posting any updates on this car.

I nearly surrounded the car with either my Warhammer Halflings or my Lord of the Rings Hobbit army figures. But I didn't think that would fit in scale.

Not back to painting Warhammer Dwarf Figures, and Lord of the Rings Wood Elves. Got some games coming up.
Namuna
bitPimp

Post by Namuna »

Mmmm mmm, thems some delicious cakes you've got there!
bitPimp

Post by crazydave »

Nice work Bilbo. She looks like a cruiser. No lipos needed. :-o
...crazy man, crazy...dig it.
crazydave's Gallery
Ratfink says: "Man, it's the craziest"
BilboBaggins
bitHobbit

Post by BilboBaggins »

crazydave wrote:Nice work Bilbo. She looks like a cruiser. No lipos needed. :-o
I don't do Lipo's.

I don't need it to be so fast for where it's intended to run. I even have the hard treaded tires on it.

Had someone say I should raise it up for drag racing (fuelie) but I like it low to the ground.

The only styles of car I would try and make fast are some sleepers.
But I don't see bodies for these very often.

AMC Rambler Wagon (I know I have the body around somewhere)
AMC Pacer, Gremlin. Yes I've seen the Big RC cars at Wally World.
Dodge Dart/Plymouth Valiant.
Dodge Aspen/Plymouth Volare (get the wagon and convert it to the cars on Fantasy Island).

I know I'm a little odd.
crazydave
bitPimp

Post by crazydave »

BilboBaggins wrote:
I don't do Lipo's.

I don't need it to be so fast for where it's intended to run. I even have the hard treaded tires on it.
It was a joke, like most kiddies are like, "Does it got lipos?", but this one don't need lipos because its slow and low, let yourself go, slow and low that is the tempo... aw nevermind. :lol:
crazydave's Gallery
ibjamn
bitDisciple

Post by ibjamn »

crazydave wrote:
BilboBaggins wrote:
I don't do Lipo's.

It was a joke, like most kiddies are like, "Does it got lipos?", but this one don't need lipos because its slow and low, let yourself go, slow and low that is the tempo... aw nevermind. :lol:
**Low Rider, by War plays softly in the background**
crazydave
bitPimp

Post by crazydave »

ibjamn wrote:
crazydave wrote:
BilboBaggins wrote:
I don't do Lipo's.

**Low Rider, by War plays softly in the background**
Actually I was going off on the Beastie Boys. :???:

...but that's better, we'll run with it... Low-ri-der, is a little lower. Low-ri-der, is a little slower. bum bum bump, ba ba bamp bu bom bump bump
crazydave's Gallery
honda_s2000
bitNinja

Post by honda_s2000 »

Cypress hill - lowrider :) low-ri-der... :-o

Man , you really pulled this one of so sweet , I'd love to have myself something like that. Might have to think about it and see what I can do.

bilbo , do you build static models aswell ?

Here's a monte carlow lowrider I did a while back , front hops with a switch of a button :-o

http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g158/ ... der005.jpg
We don't need no god damn roads!