My RC18B/T: My first time with an airbrush

Use this gallery to show off your own rides - 1:28 scale and above - video's and images no matter if they be bangin, slangin, or just barely hangin.
crazydave
bitPimp

My RC18B/T: My first time with an airbrush

Post by crazydave »

So I decided I liked the look of the B better than the T, then when I'm ordering it, I'm getting a second body to paint, and thought, why don't I just spend $15 on a pair of tires and shock towers, and just get the truck body to paint, so I'd have the option of running either one. So Now I got my airbrushed truck body on it, and there's no way I'm going back to the stock body now.

I just think its funny I ordered a B, and ened up with a T. So here it is, it was my first time with an airbrush. It took a little getting used to, but I think it came out way better than what I could do with a rattle can.

I know I've been using this flourescent Lime Green alot lately. I think I'll retire it now. I just had to use it one more time through an airbrush as it was intended.

I've dressed up the chassis a bit. Cleaned up the wires, deans plugs, LRP mod motor, and a heat sink for the ESC. I got some washers for the bump steer fix, and a extra spring for the servo saver fix, just haven't got a chance to get to those yet.

I'm really happy with this car. Its very well balanced, handles great, jumps level. Its drive train is exceptionally free, and its fast and accelerates snappy. I really like how easy it is to go to truck, and back to buggy. It only takes me about 15 minutes to make the swap. I'm thinking of getting some street wheels, car body and shock towers so I can go ahead and make it an 18R should I get the whim.
...crazy man, crazy...dig it.
crazydave's Gallery
Ratfink says: "Man, it's the craziest"
payaso
bitPimp

Post by payaso »

Damn man. That's hot.

Wish I'da known you were in the market for a 18B... I'da let you have mine cheap. Very fast little fuckers they are. :-o

silla :D
payaso...... :)

"Imagination is everything. It's the preview to lifes coming attractions" -Albert Einstein
Clint
bitPimp

Post by Clint »

First time with the airbrush, eh? Bullshit!
LIAR!

You're a pro.

:-o
SHAUN
bitDisciple

Post by SHAUN »

Thats very nice looking, really loving that paint scheme.
1000+ post of BS.
crazydave
bitPimp

Post by crazydave »

payaso wrote:Wish I'da known you were in the market for a 18B... I'da let you have mine cheap. Very fast little fuckers they are. :-o
Aww shit, I thought someone else was gonna buy that. That's what got me thinking I wanted one. :lol:

Clint wrote:First time with the airbrush, eh? Bullshit!
LIAR!

You're a pro.
Ok, well I practiced on a sheet of poster board for about a half hour first. It was fun, I loved that, but painting on the inside of the body with all the different surface angles was alot different, plus I had trouble with the pearl white, and flourescent yellow, didn't have a feel for what I was doing, so when I couldn't see the first coats I layed them way too thick.

... but overall I'm impressed with myself, I wish the pictures showed the how smooth the fade is on the flames. I gotta take a detail shot. I can't wait to do more, I got a box full of paints...
crazydave's Gallery
Murdoch
bitDisciple

Post by Murdoch »

CD.. that's some serious painting skills.

Even with practicing on paper you pulled it off well.
betty.k
bitPimp

Post by betty.k »

if you don't send those pics into rc driver i'll mail you a kangaroo that will kick your ass! :lol:

fucken professional job bloke! :cool:
i used to be cool
crazydave
bitPimp

Post by crazydave »

betty.k wrote:if you don't send those pics into rc driver i'll mail you a kangaroo that will kick your ass! :lol:

fucken professional job bloke! :cool:
Well I kinda thought about sending pics to RC Driver, but now I want an ass kickin' kangaroo. :???:

Thanks guys, I really appreciate the comments about it looking pro. :-)

Oh yeah, forgot to mention. I used glow in the dark paint in the crackly yellow stripe. It really works, I wish I used it in the flames now to.
crazydave's Gallery
hue35
bitPimp

Post by hue35 »

That looks awesome, cd... looks like you adapted to the airbrush instantly! :-o
DarkTari
bitPimp

Post by DarkTari »

Clint wrote:First time with the airbrush, eh? Bullshit!
LIAR!

You're a pro.

:-o
Somethings come naturally! Cavey Dave + Air Brush = :-o
Tuner1989
bitNinja

Post by Tuner1989 »

First? I hope this isnt your last either, great job! :-o
crazydave
bitPimp

Post by crazydave »

I wish I could say I'm taking naturally to the airbrush, but I'm a long ways off from having the kind of control over it I'd like to, but compared to the control I have over a rattle can... pssh, there's no comparison, like a 100 thousand times better.

Learned something else on this body too. I'm spent so many hours of my life untangling tiny flame masks. Now I get a sheet of this Parma masking film, and it came with a clear vinyl strip. I wondered what it was, then saw on the description, "Painst mask w/ lift off tape". I had a sudden epiphany at that moment, "You mean I can use that to transfer my paint mask?"

That saved me about an hours time, and a lot of frustration. I even cut the tip off one of the flames when I was cutting, and it came right along with the rest. I had even forgot about it, until I was peeling the mask off.
crazydave's Gallery
Bird
bitPimp

Post by Bird »

Awesome work as usual, man... I'm also diggin' the use of the spaz stix on the wing...
crazydave
bitPimp

Post by crazydave »

Bird wrote:Awesome work as usual, man... I'm also diggin' the use of the spaz stix on the wing...
Oh yeah, you would know I'm using Spaz Stix. :lol:

I love this stuff, thanks. :-)
Its like its so thin that when I sprayed some in a cap to brush on, the next day the whole inside of the cap was chromed from evaporation. It was kinda weird.
crazydave's Gallery