Axial AX10 Scorpion

Use this gallery to show off your own rides - 1:28 scale and above - video's and images no matter if they be bangin, slangin, or just barely hangin.
frizzen
bitDisciple

Post by frizzen »

Made axle battery mounts, then remade them at work out of aircraft aluminum. Running 6 or 7 cell saddles. Masked and fogged a body. Blah blah blah, you're already looking at the pics, I know you. Cheater.

I haven't uploaded pics after it got stickered.
Body theme was late 60's early 70's bought used Beetle, made Baja, quick clean paintjob, and drive it down to the start line!
Jack of all trades, master of none; yet often better than master of one.
-
End genital mutilation, don't circumcise. Restore your fore'
crazydave
bitPimp

Post by crazydave »

Nice! And I saw the pics in the gallery, then I had to go figure out what thread they where in. Calling me a cheater. :mad: :lol:

So, have you taken it out yet? How's it do? You like the dig?
...crazy man, crazy...dig it.
crazydave's Gallery
Ratfink says: "Man, it's the craziest"
frizzen
bitDisciple

Post by frizzen »

I've been beating on it for a while. The dig is so sweet, I can pop the weak yoked driveshafts off in no time now! I need to fiddle with my dig a little more, it's smooth, but not quite like butter yet.
Hmmm, Axial driveshaft bandaid or Traxxas driveline... Uh, yeah I'm in process of upgrading to Traxxas shafts, hobby shop only had 1 set of output yokes.

Scratched up my body a bit during the 2nd beetle photoshoot. (haven't uploaded yet) :lol: No, they weren't poser shots, and yes my rear axle needs some weight. Also need to play with my rear links a bit more.
-
frizzen
bitDisciple

Post by frizzen »

My chassis as of last post.
It has the CKRC "Stage 2" 3-link setup, still twists like a pig.

I gave in and went 4-link rear.
So the 4-link plate is fabricated out of aircraft aluminum, and I got paid to do it! Reused the stock rods from the original 3-link uppers, and parts off the leftover parts trees from the kit.

Still needs more tuning, but now I've got some anti-squat on the Right so it doesn't try to roll when you peg the throttle anymore. Also need to throw some longer upper links in to help that pinion angle and stretch my WB back out.
Last edited by frizzen on Sun Jul 27, 2008 10:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
-
SHAUN
bitDisciple

Post by SHAUN »

Looks good, once you got 4-link you never go back.
1000+ post of BS.
frizzen
bitDisciple

Post by frizzen »

So far even untuned bolt-on, I really like the 4-link, can't wait until it's dialed in.

Uh, yeah... I've got some work left to do.

Yesterday I decided to hit the park closest to me to try some trail running. The trails were all mine, Pffft, weird people would rather be in a pool than on trails, I don't get it! Discovered in the corner I never went into that they have many more rocks than I knew about, but also found a vertical wall of concrete slabs. I think it'd even be able to take a Super with some parts.

Moments after discovering this wall of slabs, I stripped out my steering servo arm. AArrgghh!!! Oh well, atleast I brought the Stadium Truck too.

Added DuBro super strength servo arms, the hobbyshop didn't have any Aluminum. I think tomorrow may require a return trip and a camera.
-
frizzen
bitDisciple

Post by frizzen »

Aww, come on. Nobody wants to talk suspension? It's quite confusing, slightly boring, and really fiddley!

The rear upper links in the picture are mounted too low on the axle end.
Now, the Right one has been moved to top of plate where the Left was in the picture, Left has been raised about 0.230" above plate. So now I'm using the flatter upper link line that will intersect with the lower about a foot forward of the truck, and a new line I have yet to establish that's intersecting closer to the CG point, I'm guessing around the trailing edge of the tire.

The upper links need to be a bit longer to adjust pinion angle up where it should be.

For much more tuning, I'll need to yank off the plate and throw a downward bend in it, as the ballends are starting to bind at full travel.
-
crazydave
bitPimp

Post by crazydave »

Suspension geometry is confusing. :cry:
crazydave's Gallery
ibjamn
bitDisciple

Post by ibjamn »

crazydave wrote:Suspension geometry is confusing. :cry:
LOL have you ever sat there reading up on suspension geometry, and get all light headed and almost fall off your chair?..............

Um, yeah. Me niether. :-?
crazydave
bitPimp

Post by crazydave »

ibjamn wrote:
crazydave wrote:Suspension geometry is confusing. :cry:
LOL have you ever sat there reading up on suspension geometry, and get all light headed and almost fall off your chair?..............

Um, yeah. Me niether. :-?
Nah, but I forget if laying the shocks down makes really makes them more progressive, or not, and if I'm correct about that, then what does using a spring of the same length, but less coils do. I'm thinking their less progressive, but when I squish my car it feels more progressive, but maybe that's because I laid my shocks down more... I just get lost sometimes. :-?

...but that's why you go with a base setup that the experts have come up with, and tweak your setup to your taste from there. I just take baby steps, and my cars handle pretty good. I think that's why it's taken me some getting used to crawling, because I had to start from scratch with the setup.
crazydave's Gallery
frizzen
bitDisciple

Post by frizzen »

Amen guys, I've almost had smoke come out my ears a couple times. 'Steam Powered Frizzen' now has a bit better handling truck than before the steam started coming out.

{For this next 2 paragraphs I'm talking about coilovers.}
Flatter shocks = more progressive.
Being laid down more, they require more and more force to continue compressing as the Arm (relating to Moment, not a suspension component) shortens as the suspension cycles upwards. Moving them outboard at the axle or inboard at the upper mount also does this, but affects articulation more than compression; unless you already lowered them in the other layout in which case it still does and you're just trying to confuse the issue!

I'm pretty sure same length but fewer coils doesn't change much, unless the spring rate is different. If the 2 springs are made of the same stock, the tighter wind will be firmer and will be more likely to compress more progressively than the looser wind. Having a loose wind and a tight wind on the same spring does make them progressive.

4-link suspension = Black magic.
Dialing out squat makes it mo' bettaful.
Adjusting rear right/left differently makes it Much mo' betta.
Anti-squat makes it wheelhop and makes you look like a wanker.

But the big thing I've learned is that your momma needs more anti-squat dialed in! Damn!
:-D
-
frizzen
bitDisciple

Post by frizzen »

I like talking to myself.

So, this is like within 2 miles of my house, and I just never wandered enough of the park to know about it.
-
frizzen
bitDisciple

Post by frizzen »

Sometime a while back I got a HPI WaterBug body, which met up with Mr Heatgun and Mr ScissorHands... Leaving me with a WaterBaja sitting around taunting me for paint. Today weather was warm enough for paint, I was bored and felt like huffing fumes.

Brush painted metallic black, then fogged competition orange. The front is just a nice happy vampire. The side face is based on a Halloween t-shirt.

License Plate: GR8PNKN White thing on the roof spoiler is a banner for HalloweenForum.
I'm thinking about making some red "lollipop" lights for brakelights to mount on the spoiler hardpoints
-
PimpFloyd
bitGangsta'

Re: Axial AX10 Scorpion

Post by PimpFloyd »

Looks great, Frizz! :-o
frizzen
bitDisciple

Re: Axial AX10 Scorpion

Post by frizzen »

Thanks man, I was afraid nobody would notice since the big scale stuff isn't popular here

http://bitpimps.lixlink.com/pages/phpGa ... CN0732.JPG
-