PicXXz Helicopter

All about RCs in the air. If it's a plane, a helicopter, a ufo, or anything else that flies in the air - it goes here.
Maxximum Attack
bitDisciple

Post by Maxximum Attack »

I'm not getting a piccoZ anymore :cry: My friend didn't find any and now she's here in Barbados again. So no heli's and no lipos for me *sniff*sniff*
Maxximum Attack
bitDisciple

Post by Maxximum Attack »

beanoman wrote:Hold up. Note that there is a diode on the picooz reciever to prevent reverse charging. If you dont have that in the charging circuit it will overcharge the cell.
Namuna
bitPimp

Post by Namuna »

Anyone using a Duratrax ICE to charge their PiccoZ??

I received my heli and started messing with it today. One of the first things I did was clip the leads for the charging wire from the Tx and hooked it up to my ICE charger instead. I figured the Tx charger sends 3C to the battery but my ICE can go down to 2C so at least it's a little gentler and I have much more info and control with my ICE...

But I can't get the charger to charge the battery whatsoever though. :(

As soon as I start the charginig cycle, it seems the charger's 'peak voltage detector' sees the wacky variance in voltage and kicks in WAY too soon and cut-offs the charger before it even starts!

I claim ignorance here, what am I doing wrong??
bitPimp

Post by Clint »

this guy makes observations on all the common sizes of lipos using a triton charger.. the ICE uses the same method to charge as does most
industry standard hobby chargers. cc/cv

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showpost ... stcount=57
the ratio of the Triton’s indicated discharge Mah to a cell’s C decreases as the cells decrease in size:
For the 3270 – will charge to 1.08%;
the 1020 - will charge to .96%;
the 880 - will charge to .96%;
the 560 - will charge to .89%;
the 145 - will charge to .73%;
the 45 - will charge to .29%.
so that shows a kokam 145mah will only charge to 73%, and a 45mah will only charger to .29% capacity.. ew.
Namuna
bitPimp

Post by Namuna »

I guess this means I'm going to have to reconnect the charge wire back into the Tx then huh? :(

Post by Namuna »

Clint wrote:this guy makes observations on all the common sizes of lipos using a triton charger.. the ICE uses the same method to charge as does most
industry standard hobby chargers. cc/cv

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showpost ... stcount=57
the ratio of the Triton’s indicated discharge Mah to a cell’s C decreases as the cells decrease in size:
For the 3270 – will charge to 1.08%;
the 1020 - will charge to .96%;
the 880 - will charge to .96%;
the 560 - will charge to .89%;
the 145 - will charge to .73%;
the 45 - will charge to .29%.
so that shows a kokam 145mah will only charge to 73%, and a 45mah will only charger to .29% capacity.. ew.
I was actually reading a little more about his findings and saw this...
KOKAM 45

To its credit, the Triton accepted this cell for charging and discharging @ .1A, leaving the cell unheated (and unpuffed and unvented and unburned and unexploded, and the atmosphere unpoisoned) in the process. Probably the Triton was behaving as it does on larger cells as it tapers the charge below .1A. Anyway, for what it’s worth (After, discharging the cell three times in succession, because it recovered quickly well above 3.0 volts @ .1 A discharge): Charged to cutoff @ 3.93V indicated, 3.94 DVM in 13 minutes, 13 Mah indicated.
Even though he didn't get a full charge...At least his was charging for 13 minutes. Mine is cutting off immediately.
bitPimp

Post by SuperFly »

I was thinking about finally investing in a peak charger for this purpose, but I think I'm gonna stick with my usual method of rigging up an AC source to the stock charging mechanism.
Namuna
bitPimp

Post by Namuna »

On a sidenote, here's an interesting thread showing a whole lotta history leading up to the PiccoZ Helis:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=566548

Basically, the thread starter (Mario) is claiming to have made a 4-channel PiccoZ (using "his" 4 channel IR setup from 1996!!!) mod.

The more you read the replies, the more you see that this Mario if very likely full of shit...Even the PiccoZ inventor (Alexander) makes a couple of posts in that thread!

...Alexander also drops a small hint that we just might see a 3channel version of the PiccoZ from Silverlit (at some point).

Post by Namuna »

Well, I soldered the charging wire back onto the TX pcb and I've discovered the problem...

The goddamned Heli is FUBAR! :o it won't take a charge. The green light flickers one for a split second and then goes out. I wiggle the connector a little to see if it's loose, it ain't.

I pop open the other PiccoZ I bought for my Dad's bday, works no problem.

So all this time, I'm thinking I screwed something up or that I won't be able to use my ICE charger...But all the while its' been because the damned heli was screwed up from the get go.

Lesson learned today; Make sure the shit works out of the box first, before doing ANY mods to it. :?

Post by payaso »

Namuna wrote:Lesson learned today; Make sure the shit works out of the box first, before doing ANY mods to it. :?

Damn skippy.. :-o

Did the exact same shit with my RC18B when I yanked it out of the box :?

silla :D
payaso...... :)

"Imagination is everything. It's the preview to lifes coming attractions" -Albert Einstein
SuperFly
bitPimp

Post by SuperFly »

Namuna wrote:Well, I soldered the charging wire back onto the TX pcb and I've discovered the problem...

The goddamned Heli is FUBAR! :o it won't take a charge. The green light flickers one for a split second and then goes out. I wiggle the connector a little to see if it's loose, it ain't.

I pop open the other PiccoZ I bought for my Dad's bday, works no problem.

So all this time, I'm thinking I screwed something up or that I won't be able to use my ICE charger...But all the while its' been because the damned heli was screwed up from the get go.

Lesson learned today; Make sure the shit works out of the box first, before doing ANY mods to it. :?
Lol, sorry for laughing dude, but that's about the only thing you can do when shit like that happens.

Last week, I completely disassebled and resoldered every connection in my 1:24 prop SSMT, and nearly swapped out and threw away the board, only to discover my problem was the crystal in the TX wasn't seated properly.
Namuna
bitPimp

Post by Namuna »

Okay, further info...

It seems like it's a BAD IDEA to use anything BUT the stock TX to charge the heli!!!

I'm not the only one who's tried using a seperate, peak charger:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=571385

I can only guess that something with the cc/cv way of charging is blowing something out in the heli charging electronics. :sad:
bitDisciple

Post by Murdoch »

I had a look at using an ICE for another set of lithiums I had when they were at about .9v per cell. I pretty much nixed that idea because the lowest the ICE goes is 100mAh, and I needed 50mAh.

I guess the same goes for the piccoz battery. *shrug*
Namuna
bitPimp

Post by Namuna »

Received my new new heli today (returned/re-ordered the other one).

Man this thing is AWESOME! So far the only mod I've done is removing the throttle spring and some trimming (per the instructions and this thing is flying smoooooth!

I'm charging up for flight #3 now.

Too damned dark right now to get any vid, but tomorrow when I have some light I'll take some.
bitHobbit

Post by BilboBaggins »

I finally got one. :eek:

I was looking for one to show up at a Radio Shack and they came into one near me. :-D

I got to use my ciupon.

Plus one of my co-workers wanted one so I had my wife pick up onr too. Of course they were the only two on the store's shelves, and the worker at the store du=didn't know they had them. Typical Rat Shack.

I'll be trying it out sometime today, after finishing the chores (cleaning basement) Bah. I want to play.
Sitting at my workbench in my comfortable little Hobbit hole.