PicXXz Helicopter

All about RCs in the air. If it's a plane, a helicopter, a ufo, or anything else that flies in the air - it goes here.
Clint
bitPimp

Post by Clint »

SuperFly wrote:
I've been thinking about the AC adapter idea, but I don't know much about lipos. Is the Tx providing any sort of intelligent circuitry with regards to charging the lipo, or is it simply a timer? I seemed to notice that the charges went faster with fresh batteries, but I didn't actually time it.

Would it be as simple as whacking off the charging plug and wires from the tx, attaching them to a 9v AC source and timing it for 15 minutes?
the a/c adapter goes into the TX to replace the 6 AA's. Connect tx to heli and charge like normal.

lipo chargers are intelligent..they are ruined when overcharged, so you
cant just use a wallwart charger on them like you can with nimh/nicd.
SuperFly
bitPimp

Post by SuperFly »

That's what I figured, but I don't want to be tethered to the wall when flying, and I don't yet have a second TX to turn into a charging station.

Do you have an idea about how to have a single TX run on batteries while flying, but be able to plug it in while charging? Just adding an AC jack to the battery terminals would be a problem for the bateries in the TX, wouldn't it?
Clint
bitPimp

Post by Clint »

SuperFly wrote:That's what I figured, but I don't want to be tethered to the wall when flying, and I don't yet have a second TX to turn into a charging station.

Do you have an idea about how to have a single TX run on batteries while flying, but be able to plug it in while charging? Just adding an AC jack to the battery terminals would be a problem for the bateries in the TX, wouldn't it?
radio shack sells power adapter jacks in the parts bins. as soon as you plug in the a/c adapter, it disconnects the ground to the batteries and takes them out of the circuit. Deans also makes them.
Clint
bitPimp

Post by Clint »

Took some quick videos

http://www.v6power.net/clint/mwhq.net/p ... coo-z3.wmv
http://www.v6power.net/clint/mwhq.net/p ... coo-z2.wmv
http://www.v6power.net/clint/mwhq.net/p ... coo-z1.wmv

Mods so far:
removed tx throttle spring.
bent tailshaft stabilizer to offset tq thrust from rotor.
balanced heli to have forward bias with a small weight.
Added a front diffuser using some cellophane tape to
give it faster forward flight dependant on throttle.

edit: ah damn. sorry for the double post. :?
SuperFly
bitPimp

Post by SuperFly »

Clint wrote:as soon as you plug in the a/c adapter, it disconnects the ground to the batteries and takes them out of the circuit.
I didn't know they did this, thanks for the tip.
Clint
bitPimp

Post by Clint »

SuperFly wrote:
Clint wrote:as soon as you plug in the a/c adapter, it disconnects the ground to the batteries and takes them out of the circuit.
I didn't know they did this, thanks for the tip.
not all do. so make sure you get the right one.
SuperFly
bitPimp

Post by SuperFly »

What should I look for, exactly? Is it three prongs instead of two? As I remember, the last time I bought AC jacks, they just had two for the + and - , but I think I remember some that had three on the back end.

Sorry for asking the electricity 101 questions, just don't want any exploding batteries.

*oops, edited your post instead of quoting it.
steelwoolghandi
bitPimp

Post by steelwoolghandi »

Wouldent a 9V transformer be a little to much charge or strain on the TX? put to much thru the TX and it could burn it up also?

I have an Extra TX and I have an extra 9V transformer I also have a car one that I can adjust the amount of Voltage thru it that might work also?
My other hangout! R7R
My Bitpimps Gallery of Pics:
SuperFly
bitPimp

Post by SuperFly »

steelwoolghandi wrote:Wouldent a 9V transformer be a little to much charge or strain on the TX? put to much thru the TX and it could burn it up also?

I have an Extra TX and I have an extra 9V transformer I also have a car one that I can adjust the amount of Voltage thru it that might work also?
The 6xAA should be putting out 9v as is. Not sure about the mAh level.
Clint
bitPimp

Post by Clint »

i would say 300-500mah @ 9v

the connector would be similar to this.

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index ... age=family
Maxximum Attack
bitDisciple

Post by Maxximum Attack »

My friend still can't seem to find any of these :( and she's coming home on Thursday. I told her about D2U but I can only hope she gets them. Clint's videos are the most controlled flying I've seen so far, they make me want one even more.

With Beans posting up a liknk to the cells, there's no need to buy 2 for the cell and charger, yopu can easily buy the cells for your bits separately :-o.

Clint, can't you just put the AC in parallel with the batts, then run a switch on the DC side? You'd just switch off the DC before you plug in the AC. Essentially making the "ground cut-off" feature you were talking about.
Would that work?

Maxx
kvik369
bitPlaya'

Post by kvik369 »

There's a couple of TRU's in NJ that have them now and they didn't have them a few days ago,

so keep checking.
K.I.S.S.
Namuna
bitPimp

Post by Namuna »

Looks like I'll be stopping by my local Ratshack today!

...I just called them up and of course they don't have the Heli in stock, but they said they could order it for me no problem and ship to my house. Then I ask if I could use my $10 off coupon, and he said YES!! :eek:

Woo! I'm gonna order 3 of them badboys!...Hell, I might order 4 (1 as a gift for my Dad, his BDay is comin up).

Post by Tuner1989 »

Welp i'm glad i ended up returning my picco Z, now i'm $30 closer to one of these puppys.

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index ... Id=2255015
SuperFly
bitPimp

Post by SuperFly »

Tuner1989 wrote:Welp i'm glad i ended up returning my picco Z, now i'm $30 closer to one of these puppys.

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index ... Id=2255015
I tell ya though, there's something really cool about the flashing blue LED in the PicCoz, it looks just like the fuzz. We had one flying over the mini-z track while I was turning wicked fast laps in my Murcielago. It looked like the evening news in L.A.! :eek: