My heli fleet

All about RCs in the air. If it's a plane, a helicopter, a ufo, or anything else that flies in the air - it goes here.
HirotoR34
bitPimp

My heli fleet

Post by HirotoR34 »

Been a while since I've come around here, but life sometimes takes you in a weird direction.But I'm still into anything r/c which now includes helicopters. It started when my dad bought me a blade scout for Christmas. I had so much fun with it, I was hooked. Stepped up to an mcx2 and had some more fun..but nothing could prepare me for the lunacy of collective pitch birds. Did a little research online, found some info on how to fly one. Next step was to buy one, so after a trip to the local hobby shop, I came home with the blade mcpx v2. Charged up a couple batteries and was prepared to fly off into glory. Um, it was a cruel spectacle. I couldn't even hover the damn thing for more than ten seconds before crashing over and over again. So after many more flights and tons of money into replacement parts I eventually got better at it. I can't do the hardcore 3d flying like the pros, but can do flips, rolls, pyros, inverted flight, pretty much take off and land in the same spot. I really enjoy fast forward flying and going into banked turns, low altitude flight. I can even keep them in stable hovers. At some point I decided that between fixing them if I had more, I would always have at least one to fly. So it basically snowballed from there
http://bitpimps.lixlink.com/pages/phpGa ... fullsize=1
betty.k
bitPimp

Re: My heli fleet

Post by betty.k »

that's how it works, find the thin edge of the wedge...

just got into quadcopters myself, no more worrying, they just fly stable by default. add a camera and it's party time!! :eek:
i used to be cool
HirotoR34
bitPimp

Post by HirotoR34 »

Funny you say that, I've been looking into quads myself, and so far the nano qx will most likely be my first quad. It's small enough to fly in the house, and I really like the idea of the SAFE technology built in. If I really like it, then ill move on to a bigger one so I can do some fpv...what quad (or quads) do you have?
betty.k
bitPimp

Post by betty.k »

at the moment i have the hubsan x4, i highly recommend it! small and stable enough for indoors and fast and stable enough for outdoors too. even in strong wind it's rock solid!

it's also known as the traxxas qr1 http://bitpimps.lixlink.com/pages/phpFo ... 58&t=13263

there is also the hubsan x4c, same thing but with a camera that records to sd card.

the x4 is only about $50, you won't regret it :-o

or you could just de-case a camera and stick it on

a popular camera is the 808 #16 keyfob cam, sd recording capable and a live output feed to add to a separate video tx.

also, lotsa goodies here: http://www.fpvhobby.com/
i used to be cool
HirotoR34
bitPimp

Post by HirotoR34 »

That looks fun! I ended up getting an Nano Qx and like it, but the Hubsan looks like way more fun. I'm thinking about buying another quad after I pick up my long awaited 550X heli (possibly this Friday with good old tax return :D ) I do have a gopro I could mount to the 550 to try out fpv. But it seems that quads are much better for this.

My fleet has changed a little, I buy a few, fly them for a while, modify, then sell to build others in the collection. It's a literal revolving door :-D I was going to stay away from larger helis, but I've become a much better pilot over the last three years. It's time...was going to go for a Goblin 380, but they are so expensive to build that I'm staying with Blade. I can get a 500 class heli for far less than the 380 (granted the 380 is a much bettter machine) I can go big, without spending my life savings. Who knows? These companies are coming up with amazing stuff, and it keeps getting better and better
HirotoR34
bitPimp

Post by HirotoR34 »

So, In shopping for a 550x I changed my mind and decided to keep any heli I bought under 500 class. My flying space is too small for anything that size. Instead I came across the new SAB Goblin 380, and that was it...I had to have one. I still need a few more components to finish, but so far I've got the fbl controller and esc. and an extra sattelite receiver.

Murdoch
bitDisciple

Post by Murdoch »

Man Hiroto. Those look good.