i'm flying!

All about RCs in the air. If it's a plane, a helicopter, a ufo, or anything else that flies in the air - it goes here.
betty.k
bitPimp

Post by betty.k »

i don't have any plans for a "real" heli, i'm more of a hover around with confidence kinda guy.
if i ever did though i'd go all the way and get a variable pitch 3d job, it'd be a nightmare to learn but it would have no limits :-o
(for those that missed it: http://bitpimps.lixlink.com/pages/phpFo ... pter+pilot alan szabo is a farkin legend!)

so beano, can you recommend a decent online store that has a good selection of spares for me and that also ships to aus? preferably somewhere asian :-)
i used to be cool
evoraptor
bitNinja

Post by evoraptor »

Damn.. you guys are making me want a heli now... fuckers. :-)

Getting one has been on my list for a while, but money, like everyone else, has prevented me from getting one (yet). My dad also wants one, and my neighbor builds RC aircraft as a hobby, so around here I'm not the only one here. Also, I have a park nearby that allows RC aircraft, and boats too.

Oh yea, Nasphere has shown me a few of his heli's as well, and they're nice. :-D
Zenith
bitGangsta'

Post by Zenith »

evoraptor wrote: Oh yea, Nasphere has shown me a few of his heli's as well, and they're nice. :-D
Hehe, the toothpic Heli... :smile:
beanoman
bitGangsta'

Post by beanoman »

betty.k wrote:i don't have any plans for a "real" heli, i'm more of a hover around with confidence kinda guy.
if i ever did though i'd go all the way and get a variable pitch 3d job, it'd be a nightmare to learn but it would have no limits :-o
(for those that missed it: http://bitpimps.lixlink.com/pages/phpFo ... pter+pilot alan szabo is a farkin legend!)

so beano, can you recommend a decent online store that has a good selection of spares for me and that also ships to aus? preferably somewhere asian :-)
Nope, nothin on aussie/far east heli sites. Cant think of any. Main thing is figuring out exactly what heli you have.. You might just end up needing blades, and all blades will be exchangable between nearly all ~13 inch coaxials.

I pretty much second the hovering thing- anyways, fancy rigs cost too much :?.

A friends dad has a big ol nitro heli like that- I saw him practicing some similiar manuevers. I just can't imagine wringin out a few thousand bucks like that...

beans
Clint
bitPimp

Post by Clint »

Nasphere's got some cool stuff, just talking to him on aol got me hooked on wanting to flying a heli. :lol: Kept rambling on about it in front of the mrs..and
she wound up buying me a blade cp for my bday.

Try Radd's school of flying. He offers some good training advice if you dont have an experienced parter to learn with.

http://www.dream-models.com/eco/flying-index.html

It's the cheapest way to learn(in respect to the number of broken parts),
it'll teach you some good habits and best of all, patience.

After the first two days of trying to fly within a 1 foot square...your back will hurt. but if you follow his directions you wont break anything on the heli. :-o

heh, that sounded like an advertisement. :-D
betty.k
bitPimp

Post by betty.k »

cheers for that link clint, that's just the sorta info i need :-o

i'll have it easy learning to fly the new one as it's also a counter rotating design.

my boldest plans for it so far are the good ol' wireless cam flights, i need to see if any roof tiles need replacing and ladders are just sooooo last century :lol:
i used to be cool
beanoman
bitGangsta'

Post by beanoman »

shit man, you better not beat me to having a wireless cam on an aircraft.. I made an attempt at hauling a 4 mp still/video cam up a few days ago, just finished building another plane :lol:. The new one should be pretty happy taking a modded down webcam up tho. I think its worth a try..

beans
betty.k
bitPimp

Post by betty.k »

the new heli landed! :smile:

it's been a lotta fun now i can control it better, it was pretty sketchy at first!
i removed all the useless stuff like the fake exhaust and tail rotor. and i find it flies better without the cockpit cover.

i've moved the rx/controller sideways to make space for the camera which brings me to my questions.

this is just a copy of a better heli so the manual is a bit hazy but it eludes to there being a gyro. i have no idea what one looks like and i'm not sure it even has one but it could be the silver component i point out in that pic?
the startup procedure is doing something, i turn on the heli, the green/red lights blink. i then turn on the tx and the green led blinks for a couple of seconds and stays on. supposedly the blinking part is setting the gyro.

if it is a gyro then which way should it be oriented? did i make a mistake moving it?

also in that pic i point out 2 trimpots. one is for centering the rudder by differing the motor speeds but i have no idea what the other one is. i've fiddled with it a bit but it doesn't seem to make any noticable difference. what is it?
i used to be cool
beanoman
bitGangsta'

Post by beanoman »

Huh, never seen one with all gray plastic.. They deffinatly fly better without all the extra weight.. although the tail truss is important for orientation I spect. The metal cased componenet is the gyro I am pretty sure, I think it will work fine mounted like that- Nasphered or code would be able to answer that, but neither of them have been on for a while....

I can't tell you what the second trim pot is.

I hope to see some cool videos from the onboard cam.

Although I did get a camera up in the air already as I hoped to in the last post :-D I'll post some video when I get a chance to take another video, busted my last prop on the landing(plane, rather than heli) of the short test flight with the camera onboard.

One thing I am wondering- I wouldnt think the heli will be able to lift off, or atleast wont have much power at all, trying to lift the wireless camera+9 volt.. Do you plan on using a different battery, or run it off of the flight pack? I assembled a 7 cell bit car battery pack for mine, and used JST connectors instead of whats on the cam originally, which took the weight from like 60 some grams to about 37 I believe.
betty.k
bitPimp

Post by betty.k »

i think i'll just be able to lift the cam and a 9v, i don't mind if it's sluggish.
if it is an issue i'll borrow a 3 cell lipo off ph2t.

when i did mount the cam and battery it was very rear heavy so i may have to remove the boom assembly to balance it up.
i used to be cool
betty.k
bitPimp

Post by betty.k »

i've been kinda impatient with my learning, i really should take the proper time to learn better but it's fun to see it in the air!

as a result i've trashed the main blades and i'm almost through the spare set that came with it!
trying to find compatible blades online was tricky so i went to my local rc flight shop. he stocks the range of venom air corps stuff so i got the closest looking ones.

got em home and found them to be too thick for the mounts, so i had to grind em down a bit to fit.
that worked so i fired it up.

turns out the new blades were a different pitch to the stock ones and wouldn't provide any lift even at full throttle

but all is good now, i reshaped the blades where they attach and bent them to give a sharper pitch and i'm back in the air!
i'm yet to take it on a full flight but the new blades seem more stable than the old ones

now i just gotta sort out this gyro business and i'll be enjoying it more
:-o
i used to be cool