Flying simulators...They HELP!

All about RCs in the air. If it's a plane, a helicopter, a ufo, or anything else that flies in the air - it goes here.
Namuna
bitPimp

Flying simulators...They HELP!

Post by Namuna »

I got my HoneyBee FP2 heli kit the other day and it's still in its' package because I figured I should get some Simulator time in before trying to fly the real thing.

MAN! That's one of the smartest things I've done in a while! Tonight I FINALLY got the sim going (been having problems trying to make my own cable to use the Heli Tx, had to finally cave-in and buy an adapter from Ratshack) and goddamn is flying a helicopter tricky! At least the first 20 minutes were pure dirt diving and fence/house ramming!

I'm scared to think of what kind of damage I'd have done to the heli had I went into trying to fly it with ZILCHO experience!...Even if it's Sim time experience, it teaches you the basics.

So, if there's anyone new to the game...I HIGHLY recommend getting some Sim time in first! I'm going to get a couple/few more hours of Sim time in before I jump into the real deal!
bitPimp

Post by Clint »

Sweet. Glad to hear it's working now.

Which one are you using? G3 or FMS.

On the real thing, practice tail in hover first. Keep the tail facing you,
but concentrate on flying the front of the heli(in terms of stick control)
This is the easiest to start with as none of the sticks are reversed in your brain.

Important Tip.
When hovering, always watch the head for movement as it moves
slightly before the rest of the heli.

This gives you a split second indication of which way the heli is going to go..so you can counter and maintain a very tight hover. If you just watch
the whole heli and try to counter as the heli moves, you will be all over
the place. It's very easy to overcompensate at this point.
Namuna
bitPimp

Post by Namuna »

Clint!!

I gave up on the DIY cable man, just decided to flit the $20 for the DB25 to USB adapter (for the Interlink I borrowed that has the DB25 connector). I figure I'll order the softdog cable and when it comes in I'll return the ratshack adapter.

I downloaded the model that's closest to the HoneyBee I have, and tried using FMS...But goddamned! It's like taking a time machine back about a decade as far as technology goes! But what the hell do I expect with it being FREE right? 8)

So I finally got the sticks tuned right and I'm using G3 (the Impala .30 trainer model) instead...MUCH smoother and more realistic

I've been mostly concentrating on handling just the right stick (pitch and roll) and tail-in hover (like you mentioned), I've been trying to holdoff on even touching the yaw...Ma noodle ain't ready for that much activity just yet!

Wooo doggy! I can't wait until I'm good enough to fly my bird IN THE HOUSE! If the little tiny helis got the dog barking...He's gonna flip the hell out when he sees the big bird fly around! :-o (and the wife will KILL me too :sad: )
bitPimp

Post by Clint »

Namuna wrote: I've been mostly concentrating on handling just the right stick (pitch and roll) and tail-in hover (like you mentioned), I've been trying to holdoff on even touching the yaw...Ma noodle ain't ready for that much activity just yet!
:-o Stick control will become second nature in no time. once it feels
like you "got it" using the sim..then try flying the HB. You will have it
scooting along the ground like a hovercraft and you will be too scared to
go higher. Once you get a feel for how it reacts while scooting around,
you'll take up a few inches higher. lol
Ground effect will have you all over the place. once your courage
builds, bring it up a couple feet in the air..this is where the fun begins.

I guarantee you will get sweaty. The rush is awesome! :cool:
honda_s2000
bitNinja

Post by honda_s2000 »

Using FMS (esky) and the control in the package, I found I had the hang of the "threedee" heli in no time, about 20mins. I can now fly inverted(upside down) easily too. :-o

Im not sure if it's just because all my settings are on default, but it sure seems easy to me.

I tried capturing some of my flights with frapps, but my computer is too slow, and while recording I get 2fp/s = big time lag. :o

Here's a screenshot though, from one of my first inverted flights... :-o

Just getting up there :

Sorry about the picture quality, reduced alot when I sized it down.

Nice to have a thread on flight sims too :-o
We don't need no god damn roads!
betty.k
bitPimp

Post by betty.k »

one reason i'd like a sim is so i can fly when the weather outside is too windy.
i used to be cool