Good heli to start out with?

All about RCs in the air. If it's a plane, a helicopter, a ufo, or anything else that flies in the air - it goes here.
SHAUN
bitDisciple

Good heli to start out with?

Post by SHAUN »

Hey, I wanna get into flying helis, so I was asking around at the flying feild and phill said that I should start with a smaller electric like a dragonfly04 http://www.hobby-estore.com/dragonfly-e ... -heli.html , would this be a good heli for me to start with?
1000+ post of BS.
BilboBaggins
bitHobbit

Re: Good heli to start out with?

Post by BilboBaggins »

SHAUN wrote:Hey, I wanna get into flying helis, so I was asking around at the flying feild and phill said that I should start with a smaller electric like a dragonfly04 http://www.hobby-estore.com/dragonfly-e ... -heli.html , would this be a good heli for me to start with?
Shaun,

Did you really read the info on the site you linked.
Designed for the players who have had experience on skilled flying Vesion3 Esky LAMA or Walkera Dragonfly5 Version4 or there is someone who can coach you. Becoming fluent in flying this one, you can try to fly Walkera Dragonfly 22E. Suitable for beginner flying outdoor to avoid easy damage by crashing into the furniture.
I'm hoping your thinking was just to get a second opinion.

You could have said that the site says this or that should I believe it?
Sitting at my workbench in my comfortable little Hobbit hole.
SHAUN
bitDisciple

Post by SHAUN »

Well, E-Flight also says to start out with a blade CX, but alot of people learn on a blade CP.
1000+ post of BS.
BilboBaggins
bitHobbit

Post by BilboBaggins »

SHAUN wrote:Well, E-Flight also says to start out with a blade CX, but alot of people learn on a blade CP.
I think my coworkers have Blade CX's, and they love them. I would just sugest to get the "training wheels" landing gear until you learn to fly whichever one you do purchase.
Sitting at my workbench in my comfortable little Hobbit hole.
SHAUN
bitDisciple

Post by SHAUN »

Yea thats what I was going to do. Does anyone know if the walkera radio has a buddy box plug on it?
1000+ post of BS.
Namuna
bitPimp

Post by Namuna »

I was thinking about going with the Blade CP myself...But then thought better of it when I started reading a whole lot more into the Heli hobby.

Jumping right into the full 6-channel heli can be a bit overwhelming, especially when you're not used to how flying works in general (remember, in a car you're only dealing with speed and turning...In a Heli you're dealing with lift, rotation, leaning AND pitching!).

After a WHOLE LOTTA reading I finally decided to go with the Honey Bee FP (Fixed Pitch) 4-channel heli. I was within inches of buying the BladeCP, but I decided I'd be better off starting with 4channel vs. going full hog 6-channel...The BladeCX seems cool too, but it's a dual-rotor setup and I'd rather go with a single-rotor w/tail rotor setup.

There's a monster thread over at RCGroups about the FP:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthre ... ost6313254

Also, I HIGHLY HIGHLY HIGHYLY recommend getting a software Simulator to learn on first!! Even the cheap/free (like 'FMS') will help you just learn the very basics of that lift/rotation/lean/pitch. Not to mention it don't cost a damned thing when you crash in virtual reality...But BELIEVE ME, it WILL cost you when you crash in actual reality.

Post by SHAUN »

ive been flyign planes for 2 years and I have alot of simulator practice also phill (like the greatest heli pilot I have seen) is going to teach me to fly helis.
1000+ post of BS.
Namuna
bitPimp

Post by Namuna »

Here you go sport, have yourself a good read:
http://ehbg.rchomepage.com/ehbg-17-pdf.zip

Post by SHAUN »

So far I'm still going for the dragonfly04, is there any electric heli kits out there? I can't find any.
1000+ post of BS.