Avoid the blades!

All about RCs in the air. If it's a plane, a helicopter, a ufo, or anything else that flies in the air - it goes here.
91LudeSiT
bitHood

Avoid the blades!

Post by 91LudeSiT »

LOL now that I got your attention, must have opened this thread expecting to see grusome pictures of somebody mangled in a helicopter accident. Well sorry, I know now you guys are thinking "Lude you bastard!" This thread is to warn people away from the blade CP.

I bought a blade CP pro from my LHS and it has been nothing but a misserable experience. Right out of the box things were wrong with it, first try to fly it it was wobbling back and forth (normal heli behavor right?). Played around with it for a bit, finally I got so frustrated I took it back to my LHS and made them try to fly it. Of course the heli pilot that works there couldn't, big suprise? We discovered that it infact had a bad servo, after changing this I was told it would fly. Then on the next try to fly the fucking thing back flips into the ground faster than I could imagine. So I spend lots of time and money replacing things the LHS told me to, and the stupid thing still will not fly. So finally I contacted Eflite, which took almost 3 weeks for a reply. They have asked me to send it into them, god knows how long it is going to take. So that is where I am now, out almost 350 bucks and don't have a heli that flys.

Long story short, don't buy the blade. Save the money and buy a higher quality heli, I know as soon as the blade comes back its going on ebay. I am getting the Trex I have seen these things fly and was very impressed.
91LudeSiT
bitHood

Post by 91LudeSiT »

Well after 4 weeks, my blade finnally showed up. I figured that I should give it one last try, so I put fresh blades on it, balanced the rotor head. Then I zeroed the blades, and you know what it magically flies. LOL! I was able to finally hover it no problem, I guess I must have just gotten a defective one. Eflite was kind enough to fix it for free, even though it took them a dick year. Now I can't wait until I can get my hands on a Trex.
betty.k
bitPimp

Post by betty.k »

i tell ya, if the heli is even slightly out setup-wise it's gonna give you hell.
even the slightest hint of a radio glitch is enough to make you wanna toss the whole rc heli shit out the door!

but once you get it all trimmed out correctly you can finally start some quality training. so make sure it's on the money before every single flight.

glad to hear you got sorted out. stick with it and you'll be rewarded :-o
i used to be cool
Clint
bitPimp

Post by Clint »

Cool, you got it flying! Keep at it.. once you can manage the blade, a t-rex will be a peice of cake. Learn how to diagnose the bugs and dont
be afraid to take the heli apart. The mechanics are needed if you are
planning on building a t-rex.

I've been flying the BladeCP for about 1.5 years. I love the blade, just
getting tired of the quirks of micro motor driven tail helis. It was a great
learning experience and it still flies great(computer radio). It's just time
to upgrade.

I flew a t-rex recently and while i fell in love with it(like everyone else :cool: ) i also discovered it really needs a lot of room to fly. :-(
Also messed with a Dragonus. that is one sick heli. :eek:

Then i checked out a Honey Bee King V2(belt drive). It's basically
a t-rex scaled down to 400 size. Bladecp is 300 size, trex is a 450 size.
The HB King v2 is 69$ in kit form and about 139$ in RTF. parts are cheap
too.

so this is the plan
Esky Honey Bee King V2 arf
JGF 400DH brushless outrunner 8tooth pinion
CC 25 pheonix esc
4 eflight s75 servos(great little servo)
Logictech 2100t HH gyro
Thunderpower 11.1v 1350 prolite

eventually i'll swap over to a digital tail servo
Futaba S3154
3 hs56hb's for collective.
a parkbec 5v
and a 9 tooth pinion
91LudeSiT
bitHood

Post by 91LudeSiT »

Well if you like the blade platform, there is always the HDX300 conversion, which basically converts the blade to belt driven tail and you can add a heading lock gyro. Yes the Trex is bigger but that in the long run adds to the stability. I don't have issues trouble shooting the blade, it was the electronics issues out of the box and thankfully eBlite fixed them. Now it flies smooth as silk. Clint you are absolutely right about micro motor tail helis, I have only been able to fly the blade about 4 times and I don't care for the the micro motor tail drive. I bet the blade would be a formidable machine with the HDX300 conversion.
betty.k
bitPimp

Post by betty.k »

here's a tip for the tail motor:

i recently bought a tail motor for a venom night ranger. it's an n30 motor like the blade's.
instead of brushes it has those metal wipers but it has neo magnets in the can.

i ran it through 1.5 packs before the wipers died. so i opened it up and replaced the armature & endbell with new ones from a blade tail motor.

the neo magnets make a huge difference over the stock motor, way more tail authority now.
i was previously thinking about buying a heading hold gyro but this motor combo has improved control so much i'm happy to wait. :cool:
i used to be cool
Clint
bitPimp

Post by Clint »

There's also the Freestyle Blade belt mod that hit the market recently. I was thinking about going belt drive on the blade, but you really
do need to go brushless/separates to power it correctly. so buying a new
barebones heli+separates works out to be about the same price..plus then
you end up with a 2nd heli.. oh no, more heli crack. help!

ooh nice. will have to grab a venom tail motor. neos should drop the current requirements and allow the tail motor to live longer in a 3s lipo environment.
:-o

my solution to the weak tail was to buy a computer radio. It wasnt intentional, just happened to come across a good deal on a 6ch airtronics.
set the proportional to mid setting on the heli, then adjusted the
revo mix curve in the radio.

I think you can still find those 6ch Aitronics RD6000 supers for <100$
HirotoR34
bitPimp

Re: Avoid the blades!

Post by HirotoR34 »

I can most certainly agree that blade has some major issues in its qc department. I own four of their helis and only the 300x has been nothing but one problem after another. The other three have been pretty good so far (mcpx v2 brushless, nano cpx brushless, and the new mcpx bl) I started out with a scout cx, then the mcx2. The mcpx was my first cp and it took one hell of a beating while learning to fly. I do some 3d flying now (flips, rolls, and funnels) but I still have a ways to go.
Was thinking of buying blades new 550x, but since all the problems with the 300, I'm starting to look at the SAB goblin 500. Big quality difference