Micro T Firebird Stock Car 56K warning

General discussions, tutorials, help, upgrades, and new info about the Epoch & Micro T line of RCs goes here.
sidewinder
bitProphet

Micro T Firebird Stock Car 56K warning

Post by sidewinder »

Ripper7777777 over on R7R built a custom dirt track micro t that was just way too cool! He used a ford 3 window coupe to make it a vintage ride and after he finished his build he decided to offer the chassis. I was going to build my own but I really like the way his looked so I ordered one asap. So, I figured why not post a build thread?

When decided to get one of Rippers micro t chassis I'd planned on doing a Camaro stocker. I had it all planned in my mind; I was about to order a resin body on ebay, but luckily I needed to go to Walgreen's and pick up a prescription...while there I saw they had their scale models on sale, they had some really cool choices for a stock car build. I almost went with a Malibu, they also had a Dodge Charger that would have made a good General Lee, but then I saw it...a 74 Trans Am. Close enough to what I had planned and on sale for $11!

So, first off, the chassis is very nice. It was cut well and the holes all line up! That's something that even large manufacturers sometimes don't manage to get right so thanks Ripper for taking the time to d this right. I cut my original chassis back a little further than Ripper did so that I could keep the section that aligns the servo. I think it probably adds a little strength too.

So, now that I know I measured the chassis pretty close, I may have been a mm or two over; but once I radius the wheel wells it should be about right. I started on the body: cut the inner fender wells and fire wall, mocked up a sheet metal interior, offset and slanted the body.

I need to radius the fenders still, then I'll start working on the rollcage. I think I'm going pavement short track with this just because everything I usually do is geared towards dirt. But I do like the open rear of the body, I may go dirt...I'll have plenty of time to decide while I build the cage.
The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities. - Ayn Rand
crazydave
bitPimp

Post by crazydave »

That's gonna be a pretty cool build. I wish I left more of the front end when I built my Exo-T chassis. A Malibu would have been cool too.
...crazy man, crazy...dig it.
crazydave's Gallery
Ratfink says: "Man, it's the craziest"
sidewinder
bitProphet

Post by sidewinder »

Yeah the Malibu may happen soon too. I keep thinking of cool things I could do with it, but I have a really special build planned after this. I still haven't found all of the pieces I'll need but it should be something no one else has done...but I think I'll wait until this is done before announcing that build.
The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities. - Ayn Rand
sidewinder
bitProphet

Post by sidewinder »

OK, I have the interior started, it's still rough but at least things are lining up pretty well.

sidewinder
bitProphet

Post by sidewinder »

I've been playing with some paint schemes, I know the photoshoping is rough, these were just really quick drafts to see what it might look like.

Simple:

More involved:

I think I like the first one better, but I haven't decided on anything yet. I'm open to suggestions.:)
crazydave
bitPimp

Post by crazydave »

The interior is coming out awesome.

I like the second scheme. For some reason I always picture dirt oval cars with flags on the rear quarter panel, a waving American flag, or a checkerboard one. :???:
crazydave's Gallery
sidewinder
bitProphet

Post by sidewinder »

Thanks, I'm pretty happy with the bars considering they were bent with pliers and a cigarette lighter. :grin: I ha plans for a more accurate method, I was going to clamp the tube to an outline and heat it with a hair dryer but it didn't get hot enough and the tubing would crack. So, I tried a heat gun but that just made puddles of smoking goo. The lighter worked when holding the tube in pliers but when I tried it with the tube clamped down it only melted one side so...

well, anyway, I have another build planned after this and I'm planning on doing enough research o find a more accurate way to make the bends.

I was pretty happy with the way the interior looked sitting on the chassis, because it reminded me of building the interior sheet metal of my first late model...well, except this is straighter. :smile:

I'm working on more paint schemes, I should build a couple of bodies so I don't have to decided. :???: I was thinking of doing an American flag car, but I think that is beyond my painting and masking skills. :-(
sidewinder
bitProphet

Post by sidewinder »

Ok, I learned something, if you don't use your painting skills for long periods, you lose your painting skills.

That being said, I'm pretty happy with the way this has come out. I need to find a better way to mount the board so that I can still move it to adjust for weight but not have it bounce loose as the car runs. The wheel wells are radiused for bigger wheels and tires, which I have on the way...I was going to use the DT tires but it when I was testing I found these work better...so they will probably be my running tires and the others will be the "sitting on the shelf" tires. I wish I'd tried these tires before cutting the wheel wells, but... well anyway, if you are going to do something like this try Losi's street meat tires first. If you mount the front tires backwards and the rear the right way (they have a directional tread) it makes the car do perfect four wheel drifts on smooth concrete. well, at least t does with this body, but if you change the weight by using something else???? It's worth a try anyway. If I had a working video camera I'd show you what I mean but for now I guess it will have to wait.

BilboBaggins
bitHobbit

Post by BilboBaggins »

Looks good. :-o Now you need a bunch of them on the track at once. Convert it to Spektrum/FAAST 2.4gh and you can have 70+ on the track at once. :-)
Sitting at my workbench in my comfortable little Hobbit hole.
crazydave
bitPimp

Post by crazydave »

That looks awesome! I wish you found out about those tires before you cut the wheel wells too. :lol

Use servo tape to mount the PCB. I just used two pieces stacked up, so it's extra thick.
crazydave's Gallery
sidewinder
bitProphet

Post by sidewinder »

Thanks guys.

I was thinking of servo tape but wasn't sure if it would hurt anything, as you may have gathered since I've been here, my electrical knowledge is limited to soldering. :(
vwmicrosizer
bitGimp

Re: Micro T Firebird Stock Car 56K warning

Post by vwmicrosizer »

im going to make a stock car that looks like my brothers 79 pontiac pheonix. and im going to make 1 that looks like my mini stock honda.
sidewinder
bitProphet

Post by sidewinder »

I didn't know you race, cool. Post some pictures, you can never have enough race car pictures on a forum :grin:
frizzen
bitDisciple

Post by frizzen »

Your expanded metal driver screen seems HUGE.

Maybe Drywall reinforcement patch tape, or smaller expanded metal like they sell at craft stores?
Jack of all trades, master of none; yet often better than master of one.
-
End genital mutilation, don't circumcise. Restore your fore'
vwmicrosizer
bitGimp

Post by vwmicrosizer »

sidewinder wrote:I didn't know you race, cool. Post some pictures, you can never have enough race car pictures on a forum :grin:
my familie has always raced stock cars. my grandma my grandpa my dad my mom my brother my older cousin my uncle so pretty mutch my whole familie. my brother races now but im buying my mini stock. i will be racing next year. do you think i should get a 82 mustang a honda civic hatch back a ford pinto.