Make your own paddle tires

General discussions, tutorials, help, upgrades, and new info about the Epoch & Micro T line of RCs goes here.
Sporttracguy
bitNinja

Make your own paddle tires

Post by Sporttracguy »

Well you all knew it was just a matter of time before someone sat down and tried this out. The project isn't done yet but so far it's working out well. I don't intend for this to be the end-all tutorial for making paddle tires for your micro-t but more of a jumping off point for the rest of you to improve on my trial and error approach. Ok, here goes:

I started out with the cheapest windshield wiper replacement blades I could find. I then purchased 2 sets of hot racing slick tires from thetoyz.com,,,they were $5 a set.
Next I began to strip the wiper blades to mount on the tires. I used a SHARP hobby knife to cut along the lower seam and then cut it into segments to mount on the wheel. Cut them a little long, you will trim them when you are done with the glue.
I first tried rubber cement but found that it didn't hold very well. I ended up using super glue. The glue bonds almost instantly so be sure you know what you are doing and take your time. Plan out with a sharpee where you want each strip. I chose to curve the wiper blade to form a bit of a scoop, others may mount them straight.
After mounting all of the strips, I took a sharp set of scissors and trimmed the lose edges.

Next, for the front tires:
You can see I used a set of mini-t tires as models. I cut a length of wiper blade and layed segments down with glue, carefully following the center line that was already in the tire. In the case of the front tires I laid the wiper blade on it's side, this gave me the harder edge on one side and rounded edge on the other side (just like the mini-t tire)

I don't have rims for these yet so they are untested. The chevrons may be too tall, there may be too many or too few of them, only time will tell.

Enjoy,
STG
crazydave
bitPimp

Re: Make your own paddle tires

Post by crazydave »

Nice work! I think the paddles may be a tad tall, but hey you can always trim those down. :-o
...crazy man, crazy...dig it.
crazydave's Gallery
Ratfink says: "Man, it's the craziest"
Sporttracguy
bitNinja

Post by Sporttracguy »

I still have not had a chance to test these things yet but you may be right Dave. One option may be to lay them on their side (like I did with the front tires) I wanted to try a few variations but as of now thetoyz is out of the slick tires so ill have to wait.

STG
crazydave
bitPimp

Post by crazydave »

You could also use a sanding barrel on a Dremel to shape the rubber.
...crazy man, crazy...dig it.
crazydave's Gallery
Ratfink says: "Man, it's the craziest"