Flying with your rc

General discussions, tutorials, help, upgrades, and new info about the Epoch & Micro T line of RCs goes here.
Sporttracguy
bitNinja

Flying with your rc

Post by Sporttracguy »

So I'm off to hawaii for my honeymoon and of course that means sun, sand, and fun in the bedroom but it also means I'll have some down time and a beach ... Perfect time and place to test out my micro t and it's newly fabricated paddle tires. My question is; what's the best way to transfer an rc car/remote on an airplane? I have a little hard sided case that I can just throw the car in and ship with my checked luggage but is that the best way? Should I remove the lipo and bring that in my Cary on? Any suggestions and ways to not get me labeled as a potential shoe bomber would be great, thanks.
Stg
CaboWabo
Site Admin

Re: Flying with your rc

Post by CaboWabo »

Pre-9/11 I'd throw them in the carry-on for safe keeping.
Post, I'd pack them securely like a motherfucker in the check-in luggage.
Put it in your luggage or run the risk of delays (and maybe missing your flight) or even getting them taken away.
I had a fuckin jet lighter almost taken away from me when I was coming home from Canada.

Also, depending on if you've ever been to Hawaii or not, which islands you're going to, and how long you plan to be there - I bet you're going to have less time than you think to play with it.
Dear Life Cereal, Where do you get off? Part of a balanced breakfast and delicious? Who do you think you are? By now you may have guessed I'm speaking ironically and have nothing but good things to say about what you do. Life cereal do not change a thing.
Sporttracguy
bitNinja

Post by Sporttracguy »

This trip will make number 5 for me. Going to Maui this time.(been there twice before) I agree I am probably thinking I'll have more time than I actually will but I know If I don't bring something I'll be kicking myself. Going to be there for 5 days and the beauty of the micro is I can pretty much have it close by all the time. I figure when the wife wants to lay in the sun and read a book I can have some quality time terrorizing the tourists
Stg
payaso
bitPimp

Post by payaso »

Check the car/radio and put the batts in the carry on. You'll be ok. People travel with nitro stuff the same way.

And congrats on the wedding. :-) Enjoy your trip.

silla :D
payaso...... :)

"Imagination is everything. It's the preview to lifes coming attractions" -Albert Einstein
crazydave
bitPimp

Post by crazydave »

After my wife's experience, I wouldn't take anything that wasn't carry on.

One of her suitcases disappeared, the other had an official looking note in it saying the government seized it and searched it, and half her souvenirs were missing from that one.
...crazy man, crazy...dig it.
crazydave's Gallery
Ratfink says: "Man, it's the craziest"
Sporttracguy
bitNinja

Post by Sporttracguy »

holy shit Dave, where were you coming back from? Big drug run or something? :cool:
frizzen
bitDisciple

Post by frizzen »

She thought bricks of coke made good souvenirs. ;)

Not sure I'd want to check my RC stuff. But then one of my favorite Rampie stories involves some wanker pilot trying to save maybe 30 seconds by doing an engine start either before or on pushback. Generally, this is just bad form and not a huge deal to anybody but the wingwalkers (who then know he's a total assbag); when there's a tug with baggage train passing behind the plane it's a bit worse. Luggage for a couple hundred yards, blown open, contents ALL over... Then the rampie supervisor being like "Don't worry about what came out of what bag, just throw some of everything in each one, we gotta get this cleaned up."
Jack of all trades, master of none; yet often better than master of one.
-
End genital mutilation, don't circumcise. Restore your fore'
Sporttracguy
bitNinja

Post by Sporttracguy »

Well, short of some LEDs she is all ready for the sun, sand, and sidewalk. Instead of buying a stock micro DT and modding it I decided to skip the middle man and just buy all the aftermarket parts and build the thing from scratch. Since I end up using different electronics, battery, tires, and alloy I figure why pay for that extra crap when its just going to sit in a parts bin in my garage. :razz:

Anyway, thought I would stick a few pics of what i plan to be terrorizing the tourists with:
And I found a nice little case to pack it in at harbor freight ($4)

The bumper was made with some scrap aluminum that I had laying around. Its running a losi brushless motor and lipo. My other two micro t setups both have custom carbon fiber chassis but since ill be in the sand (i hope) I wanted to be able to seal things up as much as I could. Im sure the thing will be packed full of the stuff anyway but ya get the idea 8-)

STG
crazydave
bitPimp

Post by crazydave »

Sporttracguy wrote:holy shit Dave, where were you coming back from? Big drug run or something? :cool:
She was at a scrap book trade show in Atlanta. The souvenirs were from the Coke musuem. (Coca Cola, frizzen) They also stole her clothes, and her completed scrap booking pages.

That crap tans my hide, not only did they rip her off, but they basically left a note telling her they did it, because who you gonna turn to when the government rips you off? I'll tell you, no one. She got screwed, no one was of any help, and for some reason the airline's insurance didn't even cover it. :mad:

Back on track, that's a nice little travel package you have there. What kv brushless are you running? You like?
crazydave's Gallery
sidewinder
bitProphet

Post by sidewinder »

crazydave wrote:
Sporttracguy wrote:holy shit Dave, where were you coming back from? Big drug run or something? :cool:
She was at a scrap book trade show in Atlanta. The souvenirs were from the Coke musuem. (Coca Cola, frizzen) They also stole her clothes, and her completed scrap booking pages.

That crap tans my hide, not only did they rip her off, but they basically left a note telling her they did it, because who you gonna turn to when the government rips you off? I'll tell you, no one.
That's why I keep trying to convince people that government health care is a bad idea, what happens when you wake up with a note pinned to you saying "sorry, we accidentally took out a few organs, but the good news is we are treating the flue you came in for at no cost to you...sorry about the inconvenience."

OK, now back on topic; looks great, have fun, and try not to spend all of your time with the car...chicks get really pissed when you blow off your honeymoon for a toy truck. Ok, I'm guessing on that, but I'll bet I'm right.
The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities. - Ayn Rand
Sporttracguy
bitNinja

Post by Sporttracguy »

Its no problem, the wife was just laying in the sun reading a book. She knew about my obsession when she married me :?

Dave, Im running the 8750 kv motor and Im pretty happy with it. I have the same motor in my custom buggy and the thing is scary fast with lipo. I haven't tried the 1025 kv yet so I dont have anything to compare it with. Its better than the stock and bb motor for sure. I melted my last bb motor, set fire to the car and everything. Im all for the brushless system. On a side note, there are a few holes in the motor that had to be taped over to prevent the sand from entering. So far I havent had any heat issues with it.

Its raining right now but here is a sample. Be sure to turn down your volume, there is a lot of wind noise and it may knock you out of your seat. I had a hard time trying to drive and video but you can see the new tires clearly work, even on the deep dry sand.

enjoy:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_JPJkAkK8oQ[/youtube]

STG ;-)
Last edited by Sporttracguy on Wed Apr 01, 2009 12:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
payaso
bitPimp

Post by payaso »

Man, that thing rips ass..... :-o

Nice control over such a fast little fucker.

Have fun.

"Imagination is everything. It's the preview to lifes coming attractions" -Albert Einstein
CaboWabo
Site Admin

Post by CaboWabo »

Wow. I can't believe it ripped through that sand so well.
Which island you on in that video?
Dear Life Cereal, Where do you get off? Part of a balanced breakfast and delicious? Who do you think you are? By now you may have guessed I'm speaking ironically and have nothing but good things to say about what you do. Life cereal do not change a thing.
payaso
bitPimp

Post by payaso »

/\ Hahaha... Beat your ass to it. Slow poke. :lol:

crazydave
bitPimp

Post by crazydave »

sidewinder wrote:
crazydave wrote:

That crap tans my hide, not only did they rip her off, but they basically left a note telling her they did it, because who you gonna turn to when the government rips you off? I'll tell you, no one.
That's why I keep trying to convince people that government health care is a bad idea, what happens when you wake up with a note pinned to you saying "sorry, we accidentally took out a few organs, but the good news is we are treating the flue you came in for at no cost to you...sorry about the inconvenience."

OK, now back on topic; looks great, have fun, and try not to spend all of your time with the car...chicks get really pissed when you blow off your honeymoon for a toy truck. Ok, I'm guessing on that, but I'll bet I'm right.
Don't mean to beat on the side subject, but it was so ironic you said that. When my dad was in boot camp, and went in the hospital for the flu, they accidentally removed one of his balls. I didn't find that out after that until after he died. Apparently I was never supposed to happen, and was a complete surprise.

I took my guitar on my honeymoon... hardly used it.

Sporttracguy, that works awesome. Looks like your sand tires are a complete success. It's fast too. I gotsta get one of the brushless thingys. :???:

I like how in the closing frame you see the track marks break up as it skipped along the surface.
crazydave's Gallery