Micro LST 4WD,,,It begins

General discussions, tutorials, help, upgrades, and new info about the Epoch & Micro T line of RCs goes here.
Sporttracguy
bitNinja

Micro LST 4WD,,,It begins

Post by Sporttracguy »

So I know we have all seen some fuzzy shots of 4 wheel drive micro t set ups. :? After trying to get a hold of the few people who have done this and receiving no response I decided to try my hand at it. Since the mini t isnt 4wd I figured a slightly larger twin motor micro LST would be the way to go (with slight variations of course)

The plan is to use two rear ends from a micro t, each with their own motor. At first I wanted to copy the LST exactly, with the center diff and twin motors mounted in the center but this proved illogical, the micro t diff isnt designed to handle that much torque and connecting the front and rear diffs with the perpendicular drive shafts also created a complicated problem.

I started off with first major issue with 4wd, the front knuckles; I modified an existing knuckle, lengthened it so that the twin bearings fit further out and the outdirve sat inside, closer to the center of rotation for steering. I then took a quick and dirty silicone mold of the piece and this is what I came up with:

Because the mold was just created as a "proof of concept" its not the best or cleanest mold ive ever made but it did the job. A new mold will be made when i work out some more of the bugs. The next issue is what material to make these knuckles out of. Im currently using a urethane plastic but it is a little brittle and I dont think it can handle the stress of bashing. If anyone has a better product that i can use (something comprable to the stock plastic would be great) Keep in mind that this is a silicone mold and not injection molded but a two part plastic mix

Here is the pivot plate and knuckle installed:

I also took a little video showing articulation and steering, It will be uploaded soon
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VKdAydWy7Uw[/youtube]

STG
sidewinder
bitProphet

Re: Micro LST 4WD,,,It begins

Post by sidewinder »

I'd either go with a Task 3 (easy mix and pouring) or Task 12... but any of he Smooth On Task plastics should work. I've been working on a project that I'm not ready to reveal yet and I'm going with Task 4 which should be roughly as strong as the injection nylons that most RC manufactures use...at least that's what the tech guys I've been talking to think.

http://www.smooth-on.com/Urethane-Plast ... index.html

OH yeah, looks like a cool project. :-o
The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities. - Ayn Rand
civicsr2cool
bitNinja

Post by civicsr2cool »

truck looks awesome man. i reeally like the front knuckles!
do you plan on keeping it the same scale or bumping it up to get better body choice?

edit: got bored today and looked up other awd micro t's. i have to say that i am impressed with some of them, Image looks to be easliy made! http://thetoyz.com/forums/index.php?sho ... 411&st=160" target="_blank
[]D [] []V[] []D
Sporttracguy
bitNinja

Post by Sporttracguy »

Thats fantastic! :-o I had seen that one on youtube but could never track down a link...Im still thinking two motors will be better than one, I feel with that setup you would lose a lot of torque..we will see

STG
Sqwalerrr
bitPlaya'

Post by Sqwalerrr »

yea you will lose torque.
use in the twin motors will tack up a lot of battery life away so you mite haft to use two batts

EDIT:are you using two brushless motors, or two stock?
hello world! Prepare for the gayness
bitNinja

Post by Sporttracguy »

Sqwalerrr wrote: EDIT:are you using two brushless motors, or two stock?
As of right now it's all proof of concept and prototyping...Ill figure out what motors im using if i ever get it working :???: As of now ive put several of my projects on the back burner,,most are half done, its just finding the time to devote to them.
Sqwalerrr
bitPlaya'

Post by Sqwalerrr »

K just checing

and i know about putting thing off, is all most the end of the school years so lots of test and home work and its wiping me out :-(
hello world! Prepare for the gayness