My new Micro Desert

General discussions, tutorials, help, upgrades, and new info about the Epoch & Micro T line of RCs goes here.
crazydave
bitPimp

My new Micro Desert

Post by crazydave »

Well not new new, but I just converted my Micro-T into a Micro Desert, so both my cars would be fairly evenly matched for the track, and because the old Ripper7 Lexan chassis was starting to crack up. Basically all you need is the body, wheels, chassis and bumper/shock tower, but I also splurged an extra $4 on the suspension set, because it was developing slop, and that low price included everything; arms, hubs, shock towers, and steering knuckles. So its basically a brand new car, and everything is nice and tight. When I set up my other Desert T, I got the chrome wheels just because they aren't stock, and I almost made the same mistake this time, but then remembered I like the black chrome wheels, and made sure I got those.

In general my rule about aluminum hop ups is only if something breaks, and I broke the top off a rear hub, so I got the Losi hop up pieces. The tolerance is really tight, almost too tight. I had to coat the hinge pin with a light coat of oil to help push it through. Once in place it feels a little tight but still smooth.

By the time I got the chassis all together, I didn't want to spend too much time on the body. So I just ripped some tape for the graphics. Quickly streaked in some Createx transparent Red, Sunset Orange, and Yellow, backed by white. For the Main body color, I used some Parma Fasflip Blue, sprayed heavy so it's more of a deep dark metallic blue than the flip flop effect, when backed by black. I sprayed the bumpers with black Krylon to go with the dark theme.

Can't wait to get it on my little track, but now I'm inspired to make couple changes to the track.
...crazy man, crazy...dig it.
crazydave's Gallery
Ratfink says: "Man, it's the craziest"
ibjamn
bitDisciple

Re: My new Micro Desert

Post by ibjamn »

Looks good. I like the "torn tape masking".
Did you paint the rear motor guard silver?
PimpFloyd
bitGangsta'

Post by PimpFloyd »

Very cool! I just picked up a Micro-T desert truck a week ajo or so and really like these little buggers - when I need a fix late in the evening while working on the big ones, I break out the micro and blast around in the basement for a bit :-D

Mine is about due for an antenna tube mod :-)
sidewinder
bitProphet

Post by sidewinder »

Wow Mark, for someone who didn't have a real RC until adulthood you're really making up for lost time. :lol:

Dave, it looks great. Is that so you can race with your son?
The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities. - Ayn Rand
PimpFloyd
bitGangsta'

Post by PimpFloyd »

Wow Mark, for someone who didn't have a real RC until adulthood you're really making up for lost time.
So many to drive - too little time - and adulthood is WAY over rated :-)
45tr0
bitNinja

Post by 45tr0 »

awesome work... i love how a basic paint job for you is, "oh, yeah... no big deal.... i just, y'know, did a bit of masking, laid down about 6 different colours..."

great work man :-o
"You guys are Wack"
"Wiggity Wack?"
"Nope, just regular kind"
betty.k
bitPimp

Post by betty.k »

paint............. dude!!!!!
i used to be cool
crazydave
bitPimp

Post by crazydave »

ibjamn wrote:Looks good. I like the "torn tape masking".
Did you paint the rear motor guard silver?
Nah, this was the one with the Ripper7 chassis so all my aluminum goodies carried over, and that its the HR heat sink motor plate.
PimpFloyd wrote:Mine is about due for an antenna tube mod :-)
Here ya go! $3 at the Toyz
http://www.thetoyz.com/cart/thetoyz_det ... &cat_name=" target="_blank
sidewinder wrote:Wow Mark, for someone who didn't have a real RC until adulthood you're really making up for lost time. :lol:

Dave, it looks great. Is that so you can race with your son?
Well yes and no. He hasn't developed the control to drive the little car on a track, but hopefully someday. For right now the plan was so I could invite a friend or neighbor to join.
45tr0 wrote:awesome work... i love how a basic paint job for you is, "oh, yeah... no big deal.... i just, y'know, did a bit of masking, laid down about 6 different colours..."

great work man :-o
Well the point of all that is I usually spend a day or two doodling before I come up with something I'm willing to commit to vinyl. Then I spend most of a day drawing, tracing, and cutting, so by the time I get a round to paint I'm usually in a hurry to get done. This took me about 10 minutes to mask, and about an hour to paint. I was kinda of sloppy when I streaked it, I could have done better if I slowed down, but I was on mission! :lol:
betty.k wrote:paint............. dude!!!!!
So you like that, huh? :cool:

I have to tell you guys too, that after after staring at it, the driver's side reminds me of one of those 70s vans with the sun setting mural. I figure if I stencil an island with a palm tree sticking out, and a circle for the sun, I could easily replicate that in the future... I'm getting ideas. Good ideas. :???:
crazydave's Gallery
PimpFloyd
bitGangsta'

Post by PimpFloyd »

one of those 70s vans with the sun setting mural
The first thing that went thru my my mind when I saw the sunset paint was the Steely Dan Greatest Hits album cover (1979) ...I guess I had some kind of minor flashback/synaptical misfiring, which is kind of enjoyable as long as it doesn't turn into a hostage situation :???: 8-)

I was burning off laps with the Micro again last night, I'm really kinda diggin that little guy :D
sidewinder
bitProphet

Post by sidewinder »

one of those 70s vans with the sun setting mural
I couldn't find the one I was thinking of but maybe these will provide some inspiration for a future shell.

The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities. - Ayn Rand
crazydave
bitPimp

Post by crazydave »

I grew up across the street from a van with a sunset mural, so I already got it all pictured in my head. :lol:
crazydave's Gallery
ynad
bitNinja

Post by ynad »

Sure is a great look for that truck :cool: