Battery help for the Lipo Noob.

General discussions, tutorials, help, upgrades, and new info about the Epoch & Micro T line of RCs goes here.
45tr0
bitNinja

Battery help for the Lipo Noob.

Post by 45tr0 »

Hey all,
yes i've searched, but i'm also rather retarded, and even that battery university site had me stumped. oh yeah, and i wanna play with lipo's. :-)

lol, i'm not really that retarded,i just can't get my head around all the different charge rates and things for lipo batterys. Plus i've never used em before, so i'd rather not have my very first charge burn down the house.

So for my micro Desert, i now have 2 x "230mah 2S 7.4V 5C constant 10C burst rating". lipo packs. So what the hell does that all mean?
I have a Swallow 2 Charger, which seems pretty self explanatory, i guess (set mah/voltage, press start).

I just pick 200mah @ 7.4V right? I'm assuming i should err on the low, rather than high side (adjustable in increments of 50 = 250mah next option.)
"You guys are Wack"
"Wiggity Wack?"
"Nope, just regular kind"
crazydave
bitPimp

Re: Battery help for the Lipo Noob.

Post by crazydave »

Sounds right to me. Betty has that same charger, he should be of more help.
...crazy man, crazy...dig it.
crazydave's Gallery
Ratfink says: "Man, it's the craziest"
betty.k
bitPimp

Post by betty.k »

45tr0 wrote:I just pick 200mah @ 7.4V right? I'm assuming i should err on the low, rather than high side (adjustable in increments of 50 = 250mah next option.)
correct. don't go any higher in the voltage or amps and you should be fine.
230mah 2S 7.4V 5C constant 10C burst rating
ok, the 2S means there are 2 3.7v cells wired in series.

the "C" rating means capacity. so in the case of your cells 1C = 230 ma.
"5C constant" means the cells will happily deliver 1150ma (5 x C). and "10C burst rating" means it will deliver 2300ma (10 x C) for short bursts.

when charging a lipo never charge harder than 1C. you can get away with going over a little (eg: like if you charged yours at 250ma) but they won't charge faster and you will shorten their life. worst case scenario is the big fire situation.

definately match the charge voltage perfectly.
i used to be cool
ynad
bitNinja

Post by ynad »

Thank you :-o
45tr0
bitNinja

Post by 45tr0 »

thanks guys :-o :-o

i ran my first pack last night in the stock Micro Desert - i'm officially a lipo convert :-)
I couldn't believe the change in acceleration and top speed from just a battery.
"You guys are Wack"
"Wiggity Wack?"
"Nope, just regular kind"