brushless question

General discussions, tutorials, help, upgrades, and new info about the Epoch & Micro T line of RCs goes here.
vwmicrosizer
bitGimp

brushless question

Post by vwmicrosizer »

I went to my lhs and i was looking at brushless motors. When i went to the front counter to pay for it and some trani gears. the guy behing the counter said "you have to have a brushless esc(which i knew already) and a spectrum remote to be able to run a lipo and a brushless. because you cant run lipo with the stock motor or it will lock up. thats what mine did. He said the price for all of the brushless stuff would be over $300 so i wanted out of the store empty handed. so i was wondering do you have to have a spectrum remote to run a brushless motor.
sidewinder
bitProphet

Re: brushless question

Post by sidewinder »

No, he was trying to sell you some sort of package or thought he could sucker you into a lot of crap you don't need.

The esc is controlled by the receiver, there may be some brands that are incompatible with whatever receiver you're using, but there is no reason you'd have to buy a Spectrum. Also, you can run a lipo with a brushed motor, just stay in the same voltage range, i.e. a 7.2v NiCad would be replaced with a 7.4v lipo and it shouldn't kill any system.

Motors do have to be maintained, cleaned, lubed, etc. or they can lock up, but changing battery types won't hurt them...electricity is electricity (unless you get into theoretical physics, but that would really be overkill for an RC toy).
The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities. - Ayn Rand
vwmicrosizer
bitGimp

Post by vwmicrosizer »

im running a stock losi radio. how much would a brushless motor and reciever cost online?
reaper
bitHood

Post by reaper »

depends what losi model you have

does it have a seperate RX and ESC , if it does then you just need a brushless motor and a brushless esc price will depend on your scale and what you are using the car/truck for

if the esc and rx are the combined type (micro-t mini-t etc ) then you will also need a reciever , to use the stock transmitter buy a 27mhz am reciever

hope that helps :)