Got an Epoch this weekend

General discussions, tutorials, help, upgrades, and new info about the Epoch & Micro T line of RCs goes here.
crazydave
bitPimp

Got an Epoch this weekend

Post by crazydave »

I'm not too terribly impressed. This car is kind of a mixed bag of nuts.

The stock radio was basically trash, but I really like I can use my Iwaver radio with it.

The car has a nice suspension, and responded really well to adjustments, but has no motor or gearing options, and I really could go for some more speed.

I like that it has a diff, but hate that its nearly impossible to get to due to the construction of the rear axle.

So I'm not sure what I think, but it sure does look cool.

I took the front bumper guard thingy off, since it doesn't really go fast enough to break anything. Adjusted the suspension lower. Set the wheel base to the shortest setting, and put a set of high grip tires on, and now it turns on a dime, and is on the verge of breaking the rear end free, just the way I like it... now if only it was faster... fourth cell... FETs... something, I gotta do something. :lol:
...crazy man, crazy...dig it.
crazydave's Gallery
Ratfink says: "Man, it's the craziest"
sessiz
bitPimp

Post by sessiz »

I know someone's doin turbos and I tried to get a fourth cell in there but I pussied out. I definatly wish that more "support" was out there for these cars. :(
MASTER of the Harmless CHAOS!!!1!
betty.k
bitPimp

Post by betty.k »

definately put in a 4th cell, gives it a little more pep. i dunno why they didn't just make em 4 cell in the beginning, seems silly to have that wasted space.

i'm with you though, they're heavy and slow. look great but :eek:
i used to be cool
LBRC
bitGangsta'

Post by LBRC »

Sounds a little like you got a lemon, at least in the controller department. One of my favorite bodies though, and your's even has mears.

Been modifying a few cars for Apex's new owner, currently he has my Spud-2 (the one with the ball bearing differential mod, 2x2 Turbo, and the #34 Spud motor) and the SuperZip on loan, and I just sent him his first two a 4 cell turbo, and a 340 LiPo turbo both with stock motors. We've had some nice long conversations and there are some interesting options in the works, may take time though.

The differential fix with the ball bearing is definitely worth while, you can not only take it apart clean it and put it back together in a flash but it also smoothes out the left rear.

I have 8 tooth gears that do work but are bit short since they are intended for the prototype modified motors that have a slightly longer shaft.

Right now I’m up in the air as to which I prefer the 340 mAh LiPo pack or a four cell with the stock motor and a turbo. I do have a couple of 180 mAh Kan 4 cell packs on the way, will probably have to modify the battery box since they’re a little longer than the GP 120’s but I’m thinking they will be worth it.

If your radio continues to suck and you want a good one I have a few extras.
sg219
bitPimp

Post by sg219 »

I think he means the Epoch radio sucks in general. :???:

IMO...I think they suck too.

If I'm wrong CD, I apologize.

The few people I know that own Epochs, use their Iwaver TX's instead. Much better set-up, and you can fully dial your Epoch in, just like a Mini-Z or better. Especially if you have a new Digital IW TX.

I was racing tonight with Bird and it was so much fun on the track. The IW TX kicks ass.

Just sell a good chassis set, some hop-ups, and I'll be happy. Let me use any radio with crystals. For me a IW TX.

I'm having diff issues too, along with wig issues. I need to break two diffs down. :-(
payaso
bitPimp

Post by payaso »

That sucks on the speed man.. I have always wanted one, but it just seems too much right now. I do have the Vette from RS, and it's plenty fast. Fast enough that I see no need for any more. It'll break the tires loose at will.. Tx ain't great, but it works. I'm sure I could swap some shit out, but it does ok for now. Especially since I rase alone.lol

I'd like to run it against a og epoch though.. You have em both don't ya sg? How do they stack up?

silla :D
payaso...... :)

"Imagination is everything. It's the preview to lifes coming attractions" -Albert Einstein
sg219
bitPimp

Post by sg219 »

I have all Spec-2's. Bird has a Shack 'Vette.

Never really have thrown both on the track at the same time on rase night. Next time. :-o
crazydave
bitPimp

Post by crazydave »

betty.k wrote:seems silly to have that wasted space.
So there is room in there. Haven't had a chance to take it apart yet, looks like I may doing that tonight

LBRC, I believe I do have a defective controller, but that doesn't make it any better from my point of view. ;)

I am really into the idea of building one of your Super Zips right now, I got everything I need except the Epoch PCB. You think you can do me a big ol' huge favor and post up some instructions for hooking the PCB up to the SE servo?

Also does anyone know if the irf7317s are a direct swap?

You know, Payaso, it's been well over a year since I tried one of them RS Vettes, but that was the my basis for the amount of speed I was looking for, and I don't believe this is nearly as fast, but it's hard to say from memory. I'd really like to hear what happens in a head to head race.
crazydave's Gallery
kvik369
bitPlaya'

Post by kvik369 »

My RS Vette (and my DG masters) smoke my Epochs without a doubt, but I have heard others say the opposite.
K.I.S.S.
LBRC
bitGangsta'

Post by LBRC »

SZ wiring
No problem simplicity itself. Just exactly like your epoch; one wire to each tab on the potentiometer: Center to PW on the circuit board, Right (on the SZ) to PV and left to PG. S1 & S2 to the servo motor.

Mosfets
The Epoch does not use mosfets it has a motor driver IC, which is why the external turbo, 7317’s work great for one.

I have a love hate thing going with the Epoch TX, don’t like it but find myself using one more and more for the modified cars on the track. It’s the silly high low trigger tension switch, worthless for a stock car but the tension of the low setting makes it easier to keep the modified cars on the track.
crazydave
bitPimp

Post by crazydave »

Thanks LBRC. You're like the Epoch pimp. :-o

So are there instructions out there for one these turbo, or is this just something you and ph2t have figured out?

... and I don't know if you've seen my post at epoch1-43.com, but my main problem with the radio is that it pulls left, and the trim is already set to the right, and I run out of adjustment before I can get it straight. I'd really like to make this radio work, so I have another radio when I build the SZ. I figuring pots usually have alot more throw than what's being used here. I guessing it's probably being mechanically limited by the knob. So I'm gonna take it apart, and make sure the knob is centered up on the pot.
crazydave's Gallery
arfin
bitGangsta'

Post by arfin »

Adjusting this should work. :-o Image

EDIT: As for instructions on a turbo, once i get some resistors i will be making a tutorial for Epoch Turbos, all you'll need are 2 4562 fets, or the 7317's and 10 K resistors.
crazydave
bitPimp

Post by crazydave »

Got the 4th cell in. It was supposed to be there. Look at this empty space.

And then, there, the way god intended.

Now, I'm happy with the speed. This seems on track with the way I remember the RS Vette. It seems as though its wanting to start to wind out more, right when I run out of space. I think one of them there turbo thingies just might leave me satisfied.
crazydave's Gallery
betty.k
bitPimp

Post by betty.k »

there's a wad of "bug" turbos heading to the epoch1-43 shop as we speak, or pester the shit outta ph2t to keep you one when he makes another batch! :-)

question edited out 'cause betty is a dumbarse...ph2t
i used to be cool
LBRC
bitGangsta'

Post by LBRC »

Top part of chassis :grin: But then the toilets swirl the other way down there so you never know.