195mAh 4.8V (Internal) NiMh pack mod....

General discussions, tutorials, help, upgrades, and new info about the Epoch & Micro T line of RCs goes here.
ph2t
bitPimp

195mAh 4.8V (Internal) NiMh pack mod....

Post by ph2t »

OK. Not that I'm fixated on these little buggers or anything, lol, but I went and installed a higher capacity pack I made.

Like LBRC, I got some 195mAh 1/3AAA NiMhs. Now, as I'm finding, 1/3AAA is more of name than a standard since these cells are a tad longer than your typical 1/3AAA's.

I had to hack (just a little bit, NOT!) the battery tray to allow this longer pack to be installed. The problem here is that you need to remove the two metal posts that hold the battery cover screws in place. Once you removed them you need to cut back the plastic a bit. See the pic below.

To say that it's a tight fit is a bit of an understatement but it DOES WORK!

Cool!

I used the metal tabs that came with the batteries to solder to the next pack. I then bent them over. I made sure I only used enough solder to main a solid join, then I removed any excess. You want to keep the overall length to a minimum, since it's gonna need space for the wires on the outter edge.

I got my 195mAh nimhs from a local mob in Aus.

http://www.batterypower.com.au/nimh.htm

You fellas should be able to find similar ones locally.

I haven't tested them yet. The batts are new so I'm giving them a few cycles on the charger first. I will test it against my other stock and let you fellas know in a day or two. We'll see...

The battery cover goes on still and sticks itself into place. I'm not really worried about not using the screws anymore. A bit of tape should do the trick.

ph2t.
People are mean to you because you're a fucking idiot.
stagg
bitGangsta'

Post by stagg »

Looks good. Seems like it may be possible to cut the top of the Battery Box for a little less weight? Either way I really can't wait now till Christmas to get mine.....even though I paid for half I am still trying.... trying to wait, ha.

Actually now that I look at it more you would have to add a screw then or keep just the screw holes humm..
betty.k
bitPimp

Post by betty.k »

suggestion: bring your tammy checker over next time so we can do a true side by side comparison :-o
i used to be cool
LBRC
bitGangsta'

Post by LBRC »

Tight fit!

I went with a little different option.

One nice thing is that at less than $5 for a replacement chassis it’s cheap enough to play around with.
ph2t
bitPimp

Post by ph2t »

hmm... :???: there may be a way to fit 4 x 300mAh 2/3AAA after all, lol...

I was thinking that as well, but my concern was rigidity. How's the chassis flex now mate?

Otherwise, looks good! :-o
45tr0
bitNinja

Post by 45tr0 »

i hate to say it, but it looks like shaun has found the answer to runnin with 4 x 2/3AAA's - a graphite chassis upgrade
"You guys are Wack"
"Wiggity Wack?"
"Nope, just regular kind"
ph2t
bitPimp

Post by ph2t »

meh, old news mate. you gotta hang at rippers for the micro-t info, all the in kids are anyways, lol.....

anyways, I've gotten a few runs now with this pack and I'm very happy. It's added an extra 3-4 minutes on the runtime and performs better for the life of the charge. the LOSI ones would dump quite quickly. I am running the largest pinion so that detracts from it as well in runtime.

All in all, I'm happy. Think I'll convert both my micro-T's over to this type of pack for the moment.... :-o
LBRC
bitGangsta'

Post by LBRC »

ph2t wrote: ...I was thinking that as well, but my concern was rigidity. How's the chassis flex now mate?...
With the battery plate glued on the chassis remains fairly rigged. I originally planned on reforming the front battery plate edge by gluing a thin strip of plastic over the seam but haven’t done so since the epoxy I used seems to be holding up, JB weld good stuff, but not fast drying.

The opened up battery compartment makes it easy to try out different battery options, since it worked I went ahead and added a 5th cell to the 160 pack. For 5 cell 150 or 160 pack fans it’s not necessary to open up or cut through the whole side all you need to do is enlarge the hole you fit the plug through just enough to let the battery through too, leaving the bottom of the wall intact.
ImageI’ll do a 4 and 5 cell out of the 195’s too and they will need the side opened up, but mostly I’m just spinning my wheels waiting on the mail for the LiPo cells I want to try, I know the width and length will fit but am a little worried about height it’s going to be close.