McMamba-T Brushless Micro Madness

General discussions, tutorials, help, upgrades, and new info about the Epoch & Micro T line of RCs goes here.
LBRC
bitGangsta'

McMamba-T Brushless Micro Madness

Post by LBRC »

Mrs. Santa brought me a second Micro-T so I felt that my first one needed a little dressing up.

If I decide that it’s a keeper then the unboxed AM 27MHz XXL receiver will get replaced with a 2.4gig Spectrum Micro. It’s small enough that when unboxed, hardwired to, and mounted on top of the Mamba I should be able fit the whole assembly under the Micro-T circuit board cover. For now I wanted a it 27MHz receiver so I don’t have to juggle two radios when switching back and forth between cars.

The only problem is that I want to play around with the Mamba’s program and I seem to have misplaced my Castle Link, programming the manually is irritating enough that I’m seriously considering slapping down another $25 bucks for a second kit just to get on with the having fun part.

Mounting the motor was relatively easy, I used the stock motor plate with one screw on the top adjustment hole and used the mill to measure and drilled a new bottom hole, although you could probably get away with one screw and a dab of glue on the edge since without the mill drilling the bottom hole in the exact spot would be difficult.

For a servo I went with a HS-55 since that was what I had, unfortunately it was ~1mm too wide so I did have to modify the servo compartment to fit it in. Keeping the servo saver was easy all you have to do is swap out the top two servo gears with the Micro-T’s servo gears that way it fits fit right on no modification necessary.

Performance and My Initial Thoughts :-o
Obviously I only did this to increase the runtime with the brushless motor’s efficiency and to eventually use the DSM receiver so I don’t have to worry about channels, crystals, and such. :innocent: Since you can program the Mamba’s Timing Advance and Starting Power settings you don’t have to worry about it being too fast, it’s nice and controllable. :neutral:

8-) Of course if you don’t like the “Max efficiency/runtime” setting you could always set the Timing Advance to “Extreme” and/or increase the Starting Power level so that it wheelies when you breath on the throttle. And for the terminally insane you could simply swap out the 12 x 22mm Feigao with a 12 x 30mm Aon 4100.
crazydave
bitPimp

Post by crazydave »

Well before these were released I thought people were being silly talking brushless, but you went ahead and done did it, didn't ya? :lol:

That's cool, but it looks a bit large compared to the stock motor. Does that add weight to the rear end, and if so, does it have any adverse effects on handling?
...crazy man, crazy...dig it.
crazydave's Gallery
Ratfink says: "Man, it's the craziest"
LBRC
bitGangsta'

Post by LBRC »

Optical allusion, is actually smaller and lighter.
12mm x 22mm 7 grams compared to the stock motor’s 15mm x 11mm x 20mm 9 grams.
crazydave
bitPimp

Post by crazydave »

LBRC wrote:Optical allusion, is actually smaller and lighter.
12mm x 22mm 7 grams compared to the stock motor’s 15mm x 11mm x 20mm 9 grams.
Bonus! :-o
crazydave's Gallery
LBRC
bitGangsta'

Post by LBRC »

Swapped it over to the Spektrum reciever.

crazydave
bitPimp

Post by crazydave »

So what kind of runtimes are you getting? And what kind of enviroment are you running in?

I'm getting about 10 minutes runtime driving around my living room, and I'm pretty satisfied with that. I just want more batteries so I can charge while I run, but I'm not sure what direction I want to go.
crazydave's Gallery
LBRC
bitGangsta'

Post by LBRC »

A little hard to say since I’m still just fooling around trying different things, experimenting, and testing. Like how does the brushless do with a 25 tooth pinion even if it’s not exactly the right pitch.

But also because with the Velcro body mount and modified battery compartment it takes less than 20 seconds to swap a battery pack out and much depends on the pack an what I’m trying. As a rough guesstamate I’d have to say that with the brushless motor, a 14 tooth pinion, and the small 210mAh 2s pack at least 20 minutes regardless of the Mamba’s timing setting.

7.4v 2s packs from left to right; 350mAh, 300mAh, 250mAh, 210mAh
r/cdrifter7
bitPlaya'

Post by r/cdrifter7 »

DAMN that things gunna be awesome! great job man!
The man who said, "Money doesn't buy happiness." never had any.