Ducted Fan motor mod.....(aka the Balls mod...)

General discussions, tutorials, help, upgrades, and new info about the Epoch & Micro T line of RCs goes here.
ph2t
bitPimp

Ducted Fan motor mod.....(aka the Balls mod...)

Post by ph2t »

Ok I've found a motor that you can put in your micro-T that will give you more torque and increased top speed. It is what's known as a ducted fan motor made for RC flight.

GWS DX Carbon-brush Motor for EDF 50 Fan Unit
http://www.aircraft-world.com/shopexd.asp?id=99

This motor is larger than the stock one, by a fair amount. Whilst the diameter is less the motor is longer giving it way more balls. The pinion clicks over with a fair amount of resistance (from the strong magnetic field), more than the stock Micro-t motor that's for sure.

This mod is quite easy to do. Only took me an hour or two to do. (I think, it's late here now..lol....)

Here's some pics....

The layout is unbalanced that is quite obvious from the pics. It's not as bad as I thought it was though, the chassis' seems to run quite well still with even cornering, etc....

To get it to work I had to do the following.

1) Attach noise suppressing caps to the motor (2 x 104 caps).
2) Drill out mounting holes into motor plate. (Expand on the stock holes already there.
3) Trim down plastic collar on pinion a bit to allow it to be mounted the regular way, not inverted.

I've only taken it out for a quick spin, it's rather late here and even 1:36 scale micros make noise, lol.... So far I have noticed though that there is more torque, the top speed appears to be faster and it runs a lot louder. I am hoping that the reduced current drain this motor has over the stock LOSI one will add to the runtimes.

I've got to run it around more to see what effect the elongated motor would have on it in the handeling department. Fingers crossed!

ph2t.
People are mean to you because you're a fucking idiot.
crazydave
bitPimp

Post by crazydave »

Cool, nice to know there's options. Now hurry up and tell us how it works out. :lol:
...crazy man, crazy...dig it.
crazydave's Gallery
Ratfink says: "Man, it's the craziest"
ph2t
bitPimp

Post by ph2t »

Well I've had some time to test a bit more and I can say that this motor is not as fast as the LOSI stock motor. But only by a small margin. The one thing though is the runtime is more. About 3-4 minutes more.

I've been wanting to test a bit more since I've had issues with the pinions slipping (the torque is that great) I've had to wait for it to glue properly and now it's too late (11:30pm) to have little monsters screaming up and down my driveway, lol...

Since my 1st micro is up on the blocks with a busted rear shock assmebly, I've been modding my 2nd t so I can fit my 195mAh pack into it. I love this pack, really gives it some balls, lol....
crazydave
bitPimp

Post by crazydave »

Which pinion you running?
crazydave's Gallery
ph2t
bitPimp

Post by ph2t »

the largest, of course! :-o
crazydave
bitPimp

Post by crazydave »

I had accidently thrown away my other gears with my first Micro-T. I just tried the big gear that came with my new one, and at first it was great. Faster, and still plenty of wheelie poppin' punch, but then it got sluggish in a matter of minutes, and the motor got real hot. So for $7.50 this motor is sounding like a worthwhile consideration.

Did the motor get very hot? And how well does it fit uder the body? It looks like it might be snug.
crazydave's Gallery
ph2t
bitPimp

Post by ph2t »

motor gets warm and that's it. Has more torque than the stock motor, runs at a slightly less top speed than the stock motor. It's a bit long so it causes the back left of the body to raise up by 1/2 cm. No biggie though.

The only issue is the pinions slip after a bit. I've glued my 14t one on. Waiting for it to dry and to test it out! Although I've given it 3 days to dry, better go try it out eh'? lol...