Rear arm mount question

General discussions, tutorials, help, upgrades, and new info about the Epoch & Micro T line of RCs goes here.
SuperFly
bitPimp

Rear arm mount question

Post by SuperFly »

So I ordred and installed a couple things based on what some of y'all have been trying, and I have one part that I'm not sure about. I read that bilbo had broken a rear arm mount, and I thought since I was ordering parts, I might as well get an alloy one of those just in case. I got the 1 degree Atomic one, like this:

What I don't know is, what is the 1 degree ( I assume toe) going to do for me, and which direction should it be installed? I may have it in backward. If you were to stand the car up like in a wheelie, should the Atomic logo be right-side-up?
crazydave
bitPimp

Re: Rear arm mount question

Post by crazydave »

SuperFly wrote: If you were to stand the car up like in a wheelie, should the Atomic logo be right-side-up?
Yes, the "A" points to the front of the car.

The degrees are the amount of toe. Increaseing rear toe helps with straightline line tracking when traction is loose. Allows you to power out of corners sooner, with less of a tendency to spin out. Too much toe on a high bite surface will scrub some speed.
...crazy man, crazy...dig it.
crazydave's Gallery
Ratfink says: "Man, it's the craziest"
Maxximum Attack
bitDisciple

Post by Maxximum Attack »

crazydave wrote:
SuperFly wrote: If you were to stand the car up like in a wheelie, should the Atomic logo be right-side-up?

The degrees are the amount of toe. Increaseing rear toe helps with straightline line tracking when traction is loose. Allows you to power out of corners sooner, with less of a tendency to spin out. Too much toe on a high bite surface will scrub some speed.
What would be the outcome ig you had street meats on tarmac, and in your opinion what would be the highest degree of toe the rear can have before starting to scrub speed on the black top?
crazydave
bitPimp

Post by crazydave »

Maxximum Attack wrote:
crazydave wrote:

What would be the outcome ig you had street meats on tarmac, and in your opinion what would be the highest degree of toe the rear can have before starting to scrub speed on the black top?
I don't know, I've never run the Micro-T in the street. Besides, it comes down to personal preference. If scrubbing off a little speed for better handling gets you faster lap times, then that's the way to go, but if you're not racing against the clock, you'll probably never really notice much difference. I just think its cool Atomic has the optons out there for the people that can tell the difference.

Oh yeah, forgot to mention, too much toe on high bite surfaces could also increase tire wear.
...crazy man, crazy...dig it.
crazydave's Gallery
Ratfink says: "Man, it's the craziest"
Maxximum Attack
bitDisciple

crazydave wrote:Oh yeah, forgot to mention, too much toe on high bite surfaces could also increase tire wear.
Gotcha.
So this scrubbing only comes when I release the throttle? Or does it affect on-thottle speed as well. Cus it doesn't seem logical to me to have a fast car then have a setting retarding alot of forward motion.
What I'm really asking is does it decrease coasting time?

Somehow I think you have answered my above questions indirectly, but I just want to be sure.
SuperFly
bitPimp

Post by SuperFly »

Well, it would have the same effect whether you're on the throttle or not. Basically it is adding a little toe-in to the rear wheels, so that they are both angled in towards the center of the chassis, and the speed scubbing and tire wear is because they aren't rolling exactly straight but slightly diagonally to the centerline. I'm familiar with how it works on the front end, I'd just never heard of doing it to the rear wheels. On the front, sometimes you want the toe out, for quicker turn entry.
Maxximum Attack
bitDisciple

You're making the wheels "pizza" when they should "french-fry" :-D Definately got it now!
SuperFly
bitPimp

Post by SuperFly »

Maxximum Attack wrote:You're making the wheels "pizza" when they should "french-fry" :-D Definately got it now!
Lol, sounds like someone's had a skiing lesson. :-)
Maxximum Attack
bitDisciple

SuperFly wrote:
Maxximum Attack wrote:You're making the wheels "pizza" when they should "french-fry" :-D Definately got it now!
Lol, sounds like someone's had a skiing lesson. :-)
Nah, just saw it on TV once (Southpark). I'm an Island-man, only saw snow once and it was a light sprinkle. :grin: