Micro-t crawler/trail rig

General discussions, tutorials, help, upgrades, and new info about the Epoch & Micro T line of RCs goes here.
ibjamn
bitDisciple

Micro-t crawler/trail rig

Post by ibjamn »

Well, I am buying Dad's micro-t since he bought the micro-baja.
So, having 2, I figured I'll do something nobody has done yet.

I'm hacking away to do a true 4x4. It will be a 1/32 scale TLT-style RC.

Body is a Tamiya mini 4wd Juggy Jr.
I am using the tires and wheels from this Tamiya Prado mini 4wd kit. As well as the "pumpkin" areas from it's chassis, and the Wild Willy chassis. They are designed to have a gear there for the axle, driven by a worm gear. So that is why it seems that they were made for that gear in the picture. That is a slot car crown gear and pinion that I trimmed up to fit in it. I think it'll give a decent gear reduction for a trail rig using the micro-t tranny. The axle shaft is from a piece of steel rod I had picked up from the LHS some time ago. I forgot the thickness.... The gray plastic pieces are parts of the rear axles I robbed from a couple of those "mini machines" 4 wheeler diecasts. The steel rod fits nicely in them, so I use them on the ends of the axle.

This shows the trimming I did to some of the parts. The pinion gear is shortened and drilled out for the shortened stub axle from the micro-t. The crown gear has been drilled out to fit the steel axle, and has tiny holes drilled cross-ways to allow CA to be applied when I do the final assembly of the axle housing. Not quite scale, but close I think.

This is how the rear sits for now. I slid on 2 of the old micro-t plastic bushings and pressed the pinion gear on the stub axle. Then used Bondene styrene/ABS glue and built up support(made from scrap plastic)to hold things in place.. It still needs some trimming and what-not, but it won't be fully closed up until I get the whole mock up done on the truck, mainly because I need to see where the links will be attached.

bottom side

Here is the layout of the front axle. I'll be using the steering knuckles, dogbones and output shafts(?) from a ZZMT. The knuckles already have bushings, so it'll make building the front easier, since that step is done.

I let someone borrow my camera for a couple of days, so these pics are it, until I get it back. Enjoy
SHAUN
bitDisciple

Re: Micro-t crawler/trail rig

Post by SHAUN »

ibjamn wrote: I let someone borrow my camera for a couple of days, so these pics are it, until I get it back. Enjoy
Hope it doesn't come back looking like this

Great work you have. I really wish someone would come out with some good small scale axles.
1000+ post of BS.
sidewinder
bitProphet

Post by sidewinder »

Shaun wrote:
I really wish someone would come out with some good small scale axles.
I've been playing with sand casting and I was thinking of doing som axel housings using aluminum (Ok, so I haven't actualy tried aluminum yet, just you basic bronz, but it looks like the same process) I havn't decided what axels to copy...I've been trying to gat ahold of a set of SSMT's and casting the housing, then like in the post I was thinking slot car gears/axels. I fond a place where I can by small u-joints and a hub could be cast as well. If I ever get these done I'll post some pics...maybe even do a few for some of the people here. my biggest problem is the doner parts so, if you know anybody who has a stripped SSMT axel housing and want's to donate it to a good cause, let me know please.
There is a company called PTI making an 1/18 scale crawler called the golliath...maybe if anyone here get one they could post the replacemnt parts list somewhere on the forum...might be a good source, if you wanted to go smaller you could just narrow the axel.
The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities. - Ayn Rand
ibjamn
bitDisciple

Post by ibjamn »

A bit of an update. Spent several hours on the front axle. :shock:

I took the bushings off of the rear axle of the junk doner ZZMT, cut them down and used them in the housing to carry the axle shaft. (would you believe it was from my only attempt of an articulation mod that failed miserably? :lol: )

It was pretty much cut this, see if it fits, trim some, glue it and wait. Then repeat for every other piece of plastic until I came up with this. I tried to add a little strip of plastic here and there, for strengthening.

The ZZMT front carriers were turned 90* and then trimmed here and there. The wheels are hacked up to fit ZZMT wheels inside of them. I did cut them down a good bit, to pretty much use only the center portion. Only CA holds them together, but it's a pretty secure.

After more sanding on the plastic to try to make them prettier, I mounted the wheels. Not perfect, but not too bad for something practically made from scratch, using what I could.

Still have to figure out the steering and link attachments, then I'll close them up for good.
sidewinder
bitProphet

Post by sidewinder »

Shit, that looks like its going to be great.............................................................. :-o
The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities. - Ayn Rand
nazcom83
bitHood

Post by nazcom83 »

:shock: wooow... great job on them axels they look killer :grin:
ynad
bitNinja

Post by ynad »

yep, like they said ^^^ :-o :-o
ibjamn
bitDisciple

Post by ibjamn »

I can't wait to finish it and actually drive it..
SuperFly
bitPimp

Post by SuperFly »

Lol, for some reason all those plastic shreds all over the place makes me think you're like Edward Scissorhands with chassis parts. A flurry of blurred activity with shit flying all over the place, and a nice little gem emerging.

I can't wait to see how this comes together.
civicsr2cool
bitNinja

Post by civicsr2cool »

fuckin sweet dude! what you got thought for paint?
and how big are these tires compared to the zip ones?
[]D [] []V[] []D
TheMechanic54
bitThug

Post by TheMechanic54 »

civicsr2cool,
Check first pic, ZZMT upper right corner.
Son :-) , looking good :eek:
"I know you believe you understand what you think I
said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard
is not what I meant."
civicsr2cool
bitNinja

Post by civicsr2cool »

yes i seen that was just maybe wanting to see actual diffrence side by side. got me a willy jeep coming, il see then :wink:
[]D [] []V[] []D
crazydave
bitPimp

Post by crazydave »

That's some scratch building right there. Looks good. :-o

Should be all downhill from here. :lol:
...crazy man, crazy...dig it.
crazydave's Gallery
Ratfink says: "Man, it's the craziest"
ibjamn
bitDisciple

Post by ibjamn »

Thanks guys.
8-)

:lol: except with scissors, my dremel and flush cutting snips are throwing shreds of plastic everywhere. You should see my floor :shock:

Paint?...... I was thinking 2 tone. silver on the bottom and either the Garnet Red or Metallic Copper on top. Not sure on that yet. I don't want chrome anywhere on it, so all the tubular parts will be black.

The wild willy jr tires are actually bigger than these, if I remember right.
I'll try to dig them out tomorrow and get comparison shots.

It figures that after I am done with mounting the rims, that I would find a new diecast offroad truck that has the perfect tires and wheels for this truck. :lol: