Guerd's Micro-T - brushless approach + alloy parts arrived!

General discussions, tutorials, help, upgrades, and new info about the Epoch & Micro T line of RCs goes here.
guerd87
bitPlaya'

Guerd's Micro-T - brushless approach + alloy parts arrived!

Post by guerd87 »

hey guys, just received a heap of money in that ive been waiting on so i decided to go shopping for my toy, i have this list of parts coming in hopefully tuesday :)

Losi Micro T sealed wheel ball bearing bearings
Losi Micro T silver Aluminum Ovals rims wheel set
Losi Micro T blue aluminum rear camber link
Losi Micro T Blue aluminum front camber link
Micro T blue aluminum front C-hubs caster blocks
Losi Micro T Silver Alum Front Steering block knuckle
Losi Micro T Silver color aluminum rear hubs
Losi Micro T silver Aluminum piggyback damper shocks
Losi Micro T Purple aluminum rear arms
Losi Micro T Purple aluminum front arms
Micro T blue aluminum front shock damper tower
Losi Micro T light blue rear aluminum shock damper tower

also killed my stock battery the other night, i acidently left the car turned on and it hasnt worked since :( so i orded the losi 7.4v 460Mah battery and charger :-o

im lookign at going brushless over the enxt few weeks so i wanted to post up my ideas and see if anyone had and opinions

this is on my list of have to get:

mamba 25 controller with usb program kit
feigao 12 x 22mm brushless motor, unsure what KV yet
hitex HS-55 servo

as you cna see its a similar setup to LBRC's, but wherver i look around the ent thats what everyone is running, so why change it?

the part im stuck on is the receiver

ive got a 4 channel radio here that id like to use, just a normal 72mhz system but the receiver is out of my rockcrawler

does anyone know of any good 72mhz micro receivers that take crystals
?

ill get some pics up of the alloy parts when they arrive and i install them, then its jsut up to me to make the carbon fibre chassis

cheers
John
Last edited by guerd87 on Wed Sep 05, 2007 7:18 am, edited 2 times in total.
SuperFly
bitPimp

Re: shopping list + brushless questions

Post by SuperFly »

guerd87 wrote:also killed my stock battery the other night, i acidently left the car turned on and it hasnt worked since :( so i orded the losi 7.4v 460Mah battery and charger :-o
I thought I killed mine too by discharging it all the way (left car on). I was able to fix it by just sticking the leads from a 3-cell AA pack into the appropriate deans plug holes for about 10 minutes. I think it force-charges the battery just enough for the charger to recognize it.
guerd87
bitPlaya'

Post by guerd87 »

ok cool, i might try that out and might get a use for the battery one day if it works again 8)
guerd87
bitPlaya'

Post by guerd87 »

while im waiting for my alloy parts to get here i had to make a chassis to hold my new electrics

got some .7mm alloy plate from my LHS after not being able to source any carbon fibre from anywhere except ebay

this stuff is so thin i can cut it with scissors but still leaves the body rigid and strong

heres some pics with the stock micro-t battery in place, the 7.4v lipo ison its way

im still looking for a good receiver as my JR one is just a little too big and i cant hardware the servo's into the receiver, it uses a standup PCB board :(

heres the pics anyway

John

hogjowlz
bitPimp

Post by hogjowlz »

SuperFly wrote:
bruce wrote:also killed my stock battery the other night, i acidently left the car turned on and it hasnt worked since :( so i orded the losi 7.4v 460Mah battery and charger :-o
I thought I killed mine too by discharging it all the way (left car on). I was able to fix it by just sticking the leads from a 3-cell AA pack into the appropriate deans plug holes for about 10 minutes. I think it force-charges the battery just enough for the charger to recognize it.

you are right but you can be more ghetto about it if you want. i just used an old 4 cell bit charger and jammed the leads into the little tiny holes on the tip of the battery plug. you only have to hold it for about 20-30sec tops. it seems the charger just needs to recognize some voltage in order to start pumpin the juice.
ph2t
bitPimp

Post by ph2t »

go guerd87 with the aussie ghetto mate!
People are mean to you because you're a fucking idiot.
guerd87
bitPlaya'

Post by guerd87 »

thats the way! :-o

the alloy plate cost me $5 so i think it worked out pretty well :)

so hows your T going now ph2t?

i just done the battery recharge and its started working again

will have to see if its lost any power or runtime though
sidewinder
bitProphet

Post by sidewinder »

guerd 87 wrote:
got some .7mm alloy plate from my LHS
.7 mm? wow that's kind of thin, have you tried running it yet? I'd love to know how that holds up.
The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities. - Ayn Rand
guerd87
bitPlaya'

Post by guerd87 »

well i got the battery workikng again and just threw the car back together to try the chassis out, it drives great and handles good

suprisingly the thin alloy is around the same weikght as stock chassis (by feeling anyway, havnt weighed correctly) and is rigid enough for most jumps etc

i put it over a few jumps but i need to fine tune the system when i get my new shocks in the mail, the back end bottoms out when landing so i will have to modify the mounts or have ikt stiffer, time will tell

im also not sure what the weight of the brushless motor will be compared to stock one so i wont be chanign it just yet
guerd87
bitPlaya'

Post by guerd87 »

My alloy parts have arrived!

got home today and in the rain ran down to the mailbox to find a nice surpirse, alloy parts...i only orded them on friday from the-toyz in the US! that was quick

picking up a new diff center tomorrow as mine is busted and getting some different gearing for it

im looking at picking up a cheaper brushless ESC to throw in this off ebay as spending money on a mamba is a little out of my proce range, and i want to see how this thikng will hold up against even a cheap brushless setup

heres some snaps of the whole lot put together now, ive decided i dont like this chassis so i am going to rebeuild it with dragon plate i have orded from US

nothing in this setup will change now if i dont have to, ive had a run of it with the buggered diff and the shocks reallymake somuch differeence in handling, way worth the cash

i dont really likke the wheels though, they have a lot ofslop in them, even more then the stock wheels so ive had to space them out with some nylon washers until i get upgraded axles with hex bolts and see if that fixes it

PS: sorry about the pics, ive only got my large camera here with a long zoom lens on it, so you can see the lens shadow in the pics and no close ups

PSS: im picking up my RC18T factory kit tommorrow along with some MIP CVD's and a C4 8kv kit i orded form my LHS...yay :eek:

cheers
John

crazydave
bitPimp

Post by crazydave »

SuperFly wrote:
guerd87 wrote:also killed my stock battery the other night, i acidently left the car turned on and it hasnt worked since :( so i orded the losi 7.4v 460Mah battery and charger :-o
Yup, I was gonna say the same thing. :-o

That's looking pretty awesome guerd, I want some of those piggy back shocks... just for looks though, I think they'll be cool when I finally get around to making a baja bug out of it.
...crazy man, crazy...dig it.
crazydave's Gallery
Ratfink says: "Man, it's the craziest"
ibjamn
bitDisciple

Post by ibjamn »

woah. that's fast shipping :shock:
guerd87
bitPlaya'

Post by guerd87 »

crazydave wrote:
SuperFly wrote:
Yup, I was gonna say the same thing. :-o

That's looking pretty awesome guerd, I want some of those piggy back shocks... just for looks though, I think they'll be cool when I finally get around to making a baja bug out of it.

Yea the piggy back shocks are awsome, alot smoother then i first thought they would be

ibjamn wrote:woah. that's fast shipping :shock:
i reckon! big thumbs up to RJ at thee toyz
ynad
bitNinja

Post by ynad »

looking good.
In case that alloy plate is not as satisfactory you can try this approach.
http://volvospeed.com/Mods/carbon_fiber_sheets.html
Sample pack of Carbon Fiber and Carbon/Kevlar is $20 here
http://www.fibreglast.com/showproducts- ... es-15.html
but best bet would be swatch samples, they are 4"x6", and go for$2.

For about $40 I got all swatches and sample pack.