Epoch or Micro Baja?

General discussions, tutorials, help, upgrades, and new info about the Epoch & Micro T line of RCs goes here.
sidewinder
bitProphet

Epoch or Micro Baja?

Post by sidewinder »

I was thinking of building a mini pan car...like my old Bolink but smaller. I've never had an Epoch 1/43 or a Micro T/Baja/Stadium Truck. So, for those who have, which would be the best source of electronics? I'm looking for the best control vs just all out speed. Any thoughts?
The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities. - Ayn Rand
SHAUN
bitDisciple

Post by SHAUN »

Micro-T/B/DT
1000+ post of BS.
sg219
bitPimp

Post by sg219 »

Micro-T
ibjamn
bitDisciple

Post by ibjamn »

:rockon: micro -t/b/dt x 2......3.....4....5...6..7..8 :lol:
crazydave
bitPimp

Post by crazydave »

Looks like there's not a whole lot of need for me to reply, so here's a link for the Micro-T PCB. :lol:

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products/De ... D=LOSB0803

Epoch's electronics were its downfall.
...crazy man, crazy...dig it.
crazydave's Gallery
Ratfink says: "Man, it's the craziest"
oldtamiyaphile
bitHood

Post by oldtamiyaphile »

crazydave wrote:Epoch's electronics were its downfall.
I wouldn't say that. You can add a turbo/ fet stack like any other board. The stuttery control issue was actually because the cars are not fully compatible with the Kyosho KT-2. They work much better with other brands of TX. On the plus side if you can find one, a PCB is $8, beat that!

Micro-T electronics aren't that great either.

Mini-Z has them all beat :-o
crazydave
bitPimp

Post by crazydave »

oldtamiyaphile wrote:
crazydave wrote:Epoch's electronics were its downfall.
I wouldn't say that. You can add a turbo/ fet stack like any other board. The stuttery control issue was actually because the cars are not fully compatible with the Kyosho KT-2. They work much better with other brands of TX. On the plus side if you can find one, a PCB is $8, beat that!

Micro-T electronics aren't that great either.

Mini-Z has them all beat :-o
Understood, but the reason I said they were the downfall, is because Joe Smoe isn't gonna know about turbos and irlf7317 FETs and all that jazz. That's fine for me, but it's my personal opinion they would have sold a lot more if they were faster and had more punch out of the box, and I can't argue with the price.

I would like to hear what problems you have with the Micro-T board because I've had no problems, though I can see how the 5-wire sevo might be an issue for some.

I was under the impression Mini-Zs had weak steering, or at least that's what I remember being told, when I complained about my Iwaver's steering.
...crazy man, crazy...dig it.
crazydave's Gallery
Ratfink says: "Man, it's the craziest"
sidewinder
bitProphet

Post by sidewinder »

Thanks guys, Looks like the micro t is probably the ay to go :-o

Crazdave wrote:
Joe Smoe isn't gonna know about turbos and irlf7317 FETs and all that jazz.
Neither does sidewinder...well I know what they are but as far as doing anything about it???

I guess I'm off to ebay to look for a beat-up micro t. If anyone sees any cheap at a local LHS or online let me know please :-o Or I guess for $80 rtr I could just break down and buy a new one for the doner, its only a little over a tank of gas price wise.
The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities. - Ayn Rand
oldtamiyaphile
bitHood

Post by oldtamiyaphile »

crazydave wrote:Understood, but the reason I said they were the downfall, is because Joe Smoe isn't gonna know about turbos and irlf7317 FETs and all that jazz. That's fine for me, but it's my personal opinion they would have sold a lot more if they were faster and had more punch out of the box, and I can't argue with the price.

I would like to hear what problems you have with the Micro-T board because I've had no problems, though I can see how the 5-wire sevo might be an issue for some.

I was under the impression Mini-Zs had weak steering, or at least that's what I remember being told, when I complained about my Iwaver's steering.
The Mini-Z was never that fast out of the box either, and did/does require stacks for real speed. On a scale/speed ratio, the Epoch and MZ are about equal.

The MZ steering has always been fast enough for me. Possibly the n20 motor is a bit bigger than it really needs to be. Xmods have pager motors after all, and once you swap it for a 2.2 or better they steer quickly too, while drawing a lot less juice.

My only problem with the Micro-T board is the low-end responce, too much low end power makes it difficult to drive on slick tracks. I think this is why ph2t swapped a Z board into his truck.