Makin Trees

Images of tracks, arenas, and racing surfaces for RCs. Got a track to show off? Do it here.
Finks
bitPimp

Makin Trees

Post by Finks »

Arite today I was out and about and found some of this stuff in my back yard.
I think this is the same moss used for HO scale trees, and I have been hankering to make a track but didn't want to drop $5 per tree. Mostly cuz I am a good old Maine boy and need shit loads of trees on my track.

So can anyone confirm this is the right stuff and even better if you know how to make trees out of them. As it standns I figure spraypainting them green and using wood glue to glue to a stick for a trunk would work, but I have never done this soooo...
Suck My Bits
:twisted:©2005 Finks fucked your girlfriend in highschool inc
hogjowlz
bitPimp

Post by hogjowlz »

be ghetto and figure it out dude. that shit looks pretty tight. any spraypaint will kill the natural toxicitity.
sg219
bitPimp

Post by sg219 »

hogjowlz wrote:be ghetto and figure it out dude. that shit looks pretty tight. any spraypaint will kill the natural toxicitity.
Ya, I wouldn't spraypaint it. Maybe, just a few squirts of clear coat to add a little touch of bling and to keep dust to a minimum.
crazydave
bitPimp

Post by crazydave »

You could airbrush it with food coloring. That what flower shops do.
...crazy man, crazy...dig it.
crazydave's Gallery
Ratfink says: "Man, it's the craziest"
payaso
bitPimp

Post by payaso »

crazydave wrote:You could airbrush it with food coloring. That what flower shops do.

The flower shops around these parts spray paint the flowers when needed, so feel free to spray those chunks of moss. Just let it dry out first..

I just spray painted some roses for my wife..

silla :D
payaso...... :)

"Imagination is everything. It's the preview to lifes coming attractions" -Albert Einstein
VooDooMafia
bitPimp

Post by VooDooMafia »

If you dont mind spending some cash www.gamesworkshop.com has some nice stuff.

They are a gaming company that makes roleplay games with miniature figures and great tabletop accessories.
I Don't care what you say PIMPIN aint easy, you Broke A$$ Mother F*&Ker
TallduDe
bitThug

Post by TallduDe »

well you can use that stuff on its own just clump a bit of it and it looks like a bush.

i found a shit load of cheap tree stuff on ebay just look up ho scale trees should find some cheap deals.

btw games workshop is nice bu its a lot of $$$$$$ for stuff you can make on your own.

plus rolled out grass on a cardboard backing is cheeeeep and adds alot of green to your surroundings.

:D
Finks
bitPimp

Post by Finks »

Yeah thanks, Paying bucks was what I am trying to avoid. Thanks for the input Pimps.
Suck My Bits
:twisted:©2005 Finks fucked your girlfriend in highschool inc
VooDooMafia
bitPimp

Post by VooDooMafia »

Well a super cheap way of making hedges if you need a bunch.

Get teh green scrb pads. Fold them in half and glue them (mihgt need to put a book on them while they dry.

Glue then to some plastic (old credit card, gift card, or buy stuff from hobby shop).

Just take some lighter green paint and dry brush the scrub pad.

You can glue sand to teh base and then wash a glue/water mix over it so it will harden and not fall off. Then just paint the sand to look like grass or dirt.
I Don't care what you say PIMPIN aint easy, you Broke A$$ Mother F*&Ker
MotorGong
bitNinja

Post by MotorGong »

I wanted trees on my track, but didn't want to spend the model train prices either.
My local hardware store has a small craft section.
I informed the lady of what I wanted to do, and she recommended this stuff called spanish moss.
It comes in a bag approx. the size of a cereal box, and it was $1.25.
It even has different 'styles' of moss in the bag, some pieces are perfect for ground coverage.

I think the stuff you found Finks would ultimately look better, or more realistic.
However, this stuff is a great alternative. I can see someone taking their time and making trees with this stuff look great.
Me, I'm inventive but impatient. What you see in this pic is the spanish moss. I was experimenting, so some trees are adhered with crazy glue, some with tacking, some with rub-on glue, etc.
This pic was taken about a month or so after the trees were made.
I didn't pretty them up for the camera or anything, and as you can see some look kinda deformed.

I just took some in my hand, kinda ruffed it up a little, and pretty much just slapped in on some small diameter wood dowels. I used playdough to create slopes and hills, and the moss sticks great to the playdough.
When the playdough dries, you can carrefully lift and remove the whole section of "scenery".

BattleField 2 Stats
"Please not in the fire's neighborhood, heat, that place the spirit swim to play or take care of." ...LxxChar-G Instruction Manual
SuperFly
bitPimp

Post by SuperFly »

:innocent:

:cool:
Last edited by SuperFly on Thu Sep 15, 2005 3:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CaboWabo
Site Admin

Post by CaboWabo »

Sweet man. betty.k had some good trees too! lol
Dear Life Cereal, Where do you get off? Part of a balanced breakfast and delicious? Who do you think you are? By now you may have guessed I'm speaking ironically and have nothing but good things to say about what you do. Life cereal do not change a thing.
MotorGong
bitNinja

Post by MotorGong »

:lol: BAHAHAHA!!!!! I love that spanish moss!!

I wanted to do that!
Now that I know I'm allowed, I'll make sure to sneak some in my next photos. :wink:
BattleField 2 Stats
"Please not in the fire's neighborhood, heat, that place the spirit swim to play or take care of." ...LxxChar-G Instruction Manual
payaso
bitPimp

Post by payaso »

CaboWabo wrote:Sweet man. betty.k had some good trees too! lol

I like the little "Steve Irwin" figure.... I can almost hear him saying "CROIKEY"

silla :D
payaso...... :)

"Imagination is everything. It's the preview to lifes coming attractions" -Albert Einstein
betty.k
bitPimp

Post by betty.k »

sad thing is, those "trees" are probably cheaper than the ones from the hobby shop! :lol:
i used to be cool