Bout time I showed you this

Images of tracks, arenas, and racing surfaces for RCs. Got a track to show off? Do it here.
yakboy
bitPlaya'

Bout time I showed you this

Post by yakboy »

Had some friends around for a New Year's Eve party & had my track out so I finally got some shots to show ya' all.

It's constructed from 18mm MDF and is loosely based on CaboWabo's pimp track but with a bit of tweaking. The track was routed out and the plastic tubing screwed in from underneath with countersunk holes. The track surface is grey undercoat applied with a small roller to get a nice finish. The grass is scatter material stuck on with dilute PVA. The board is in 2 pieces and can rest on a table or A frames. All the scenery is mounted on hardboard pieces and is removable. The whole lot will fit in the back of my sportswagon and is therefore fully portable.

The granstand and figures are all subbuteo items bought on EBay(the scale is OO just right for bits). The granstand was cut down & modified with plastic card. The figures are all hand painted and took ages (only another 200 to go)

Subbuteo trainers look like pit crew & are giving the F40 a bit of attention

The Lotus Europa & New beetle battle it out among the trees

Metl Tech BMW approaches the hump back bridge (a heavily modified Scalextric item)

The camera man get's a close up of the beetle in action.

Hope you like the shots. A bit cheesy I know. The scenery is far from finished with loads more trees, granstands , a hill and better pit buildings to be built , lighting and a laser timing system to fabricate. I've got a real kick out of doing this. My next project will be the Race of Champions course that was at the Stade de France this December (But I won't have time for at least 6 months)

Yakboy
Last edited by yakboy on Sat Jan 01, 2005 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sg219
bitPimp

Post by sg219 »

Nice track. :cool:

Great job on the scenery and trackside props.
payaso
bitPimp

Post by payaso »

Absolutely great job on that track, and great job on painting it all. I know that took some time to do. Maybe we should box it up, and ship it around to everybody, and we can take turns racing on it....lol

Me first.

silla :D
payaso...... :)

"Imagination is everything. It's the preview to lifes coming attractions" -Albert Einstein
CaboWabo
Site Admin

Post by CaboWabo »

damn nice. that tracks cool, looks like fun.
great job on the scenery and such.
what's the surface?
Dear Life Cereal, Where do you get off? Part of a balanced breakfast and delicious? Who do you think you are? By now you may have guessed I'm speaking ironically and have nothing but good things to say about what you do. Life cereal do not change a thing.
yakboy
bitPlaya'

Post by yakboy »

Cabo,

The surface is painted MDF. 2 coats of gloss undercoat but done with a mini roller so it's real smooth. The grass is the scatter stuff you get on train layouts.

Glad you like it. I'll post updates (particularly on the laser timing system) as I get around to finishing it.

Yakboy
stagg
bitGangsta'

Post by stagg »

yakboy wrote:Cabo,

The surface is painted MDF. 2 coats of gloss undercoat but done with a mini roller so it's real smooth. The grass is the scatter stuff you get on train layouts.

Glad you like it. I'll post updates (particularly on the laser timing system) as I get around to finishing it.

Yakboy

Real nice,the sad thing for me is more then half my fun in this hobby is building racks, and not even racing on them,lol

For the lap[ timing system are you useing laser pointers?
yakboy
bitPlaya'

Post by yakboy »

Real nice,the sad thing for me is more then half my fun in this hobby is building racks, and not even racing on them,lol

For the lap[ timing system are you useing laser pointers?

Know what you mean Stagg, Racing is fun but I love dreaming about the next bit of scenery etc. But that's the good thing about bits, you can race , mod or build tracks, there's something for everyone.

I haven't started the timing systen yet but I will be using 3V laser pointers and photo transistors & white flags on the bits to break the beams. It will take a lot of fiddling to get it right but hopefully I should be able to time 6 cars at once.
Finks
bitPimp

Post by Finks »

That track layout is friggin spot on bro. I love the semi figure 8 in the middle, that is just perfect. Honestly, how well does the track race? Looks like it is suited for 2 racers. The details, well that is top grade as well, I have seen few better.
Suck My Bits
:twisted:©2005 Finks fucked your girlfriend in highschool inc
yakboy
bitPlaya'

Post by yakboy »

Finks wrote:That track layout is friggin spot on bro. I love the semi figure 8 in the middle, that is just perfect. Honestly, how well does the track race? Looks like it is suited for 2 racers. The details, well that is top grade as well, I have seen few better.

Thanks Finks. I've had 8 cars racing at once although it gets a bit crowded. 4-6 cars is about right. The cross over in the middle can be a scene of carnage but that's what racing is all about. I vary the difficulty of the circuit by putting plastic hay bale chicaines. Tends to be a lot of right hand turns on this circuit, my next circuit will probably be a bit more varied on the turns.
TallduDe
bitThug

Post by TallduDe »

very nice man!

i like the aspect where it looks like a real track with the trees and people well done.
-------------------------------------------------

Cheers
yakboy
bitPlaya'

Post by yakboy »

TallduDe wrote:very nice man!

i like the aspect where it looks like a real track with the trees and people well done.

Well your track inspired me. I'm not finished with the trees yet & a hill with cliff fasce is in the offing for the space where the camera tower is. Watch this space