Portable Ghetto Bit Track

Images of tracks, arenas, and racing surfaces for RCs. Got a track to show off? Do it here.
MotorGong
bitNinja

Portable Ghetto Bit Track

Post by MotorGong »

Alright, I've been sittin' around with some pics of my tracks, and havn't posted them because of poor quality shots.
These are pretty clear, though. Check it out, I hope you Pimps like!!!!!

Here's someting I created with spare parts and spare time. Not much time, either. About 4 hours including drying time while I was cleaning out the garage and some other projects.
All the material used is left-overs from the 'main track' and a couple other tracks I built. Except the hinges, nails, and clasp hook, all plated/galvanized, I aquired.

I found the wood in the neighbor's yard, where many,many,many items can be found. :smile:
Cool people, but 6 broke-down cars in the yard with bees nests in 'em, etc.
I had my neighbor do a BitPimps Logo on the back side, but this pic was taken prior. Hope to get a pic of that soon!

It fits perfectly into the bed of my pick-up, and sits on the wheel wells. This was one of my intentions.

The wood surface was not perfect by any means, but I decided to MAKE it work. After some latex weather paint, spray paint, and this killer KRYLON paint I used, the surface was acceptable for what I was trying to achieve.

It is, of course, a slow track. 2.2 motors w/o 2-speed seems to be too much. And after 10-15 minutes of racing, everybody's hands kinda 'hurt' from all the constant turning. In a good way, though. :grin:

I got kinda tired of some people not letting go of the Turbo Boost button and wondering why they are spinning out around every corner. The main track I have is 81/2'X 41/2' with 9-12" lanes. This track made me put in the 'cornering suspension bar', and kick it down to a 2.2, or a 1.6 even.(2-speed)
I purposely made most corners so racers couldn't 'ride the rail' while making the turn.

And this is the kicker. I purposely tried to design the track so the paths cross over the 'fold' in the board on one side, to avoid any sort of bump. From the pics, it doesn't look to be even. It is!! A little bit of sanding to fix the imperfections before installing the hinges, and NO BUMP!
Well, not enough to make a difference anyway.

The drawback of this track is the weight. Portable? Yes. Light? Uh, no.
The clasp hook helps keep the track folded during transport, and one guy can carry it, but it is a little on the heavy side(3/4"plywood approx.). I built a similar style track(basic circle track) on thinner board (1/2 approx.), less rugged but more convenient.

My first race on this track, honestly, I was only slightly amused. Then I realized that I have been in 'balls out' racing mode since I started this hobby just months ago. 2nd, 3rd race, and from then on it's been portable track bliss.
BattleField 2 Stats
"Please not in the fire's neighborhood, heat, that place the spirit swim to play or take care of." ...LxxChar-G Instruction Manual
sessiz
bitPimp

Post by sessiz »

That is a nice track man. I freakin like it. I'm all about the portability and as soon as my life gets a little more on the straightened out side I'm building a fuckin bliss track©sessiz. :-)
MASTER of the Harmless CHAOS!!!1!
CaboWabo
Site Admin

Post by CaboWabo »

Fuck yea man, that's nice. I dig it.
I gotta see these other'n's too, re-take them pics and post em up. :smile: © CaboFuckinWabo
Dear Life Cereal, Where do you get off? Part of a balanced breakfast and delicious? Who do you think you are? By now you may have guessed I'm speaking ironically and have nothing but good things to say about what you do. Life cereal do not change a thing.
betty.k
bitPimp

Post by betty.k »

wow!! look what can happen when you get off your ass and do something! :eek: i want a track, i gotta try that sometime :lol:

great work. track racing is so much fun, makes you realise what all them mods are for! :-o
i used to be cool
MotorGong
bitNinja

Post by MotorGong »

Thanks for checkin' it out!
It was fun and easy to make.

Along with the other portable track, I can't wait to get some good shots of the main track. Heck, I even got a seperate Homie Hood to show you guys.
And I just got a decent camera. Shots a comin' soon!!

In the meantime, I found a few pics I took a couple months back during the final construction/first test of my bit track.

I look forward to filling you in on the texture/surface of the track.
I have another track with 16"-2' lanes of similar size, but this was my first creation after jumping into Bits.
I'll jabber then, and just show ya these now.

Backside of Homie Hood

You can see the labels I used weren't working during this initial trial.

I'm not into 'train scenery' or anything, but wanted a Homie Hood to go with the main track. There's something great about low cost, ghetto tracks that work. :smile:
BattleField 2 Stats
"Please not in the fire's neighborhood, heat, that place the spirit swim to play or take care of." ...LxxChar-G Instruction Manual
CaboWabo
Site Admin

Post by CaboWabo »

I'm a sucker for scenery, though I haven't done much myself - it sure does look cool.
Dear Life Cereal, Where do you get off? Part of a balanced breakfast and delicious? Who do you think you are? By now you may have guessed I'm speaking ironically and have nothing but good things to say about what you do. Life cereal do not change a thing.