Concrete racing, mr-02 aussie style!

Images of tracks, arenas, and racing surfaces for RCs. Got a track to show off? Do it here.
ph2t
bitPimp

Concrete racing, mr-02 aussie style!

Post by ph2t »

This is our "track".

Gotta love garden hose, it has soooo many uses.....

Our Z's are groomed for concrete racing, since we're not up for paying $500+ to ship in some PCP(!) tracks. It's also quite easy to setup, less than 5 minutes and we're done!

These mr-02's are pretty hopped up. The main thing is the tyres. I'm running 30deg kyosho radials up front and gandini racing foams on the rear. Betty's F1 is running the same foams on the rear and kyosho 30 deg slicks up front (I think). I had atomic 10 deg slicks up front but the understeer was soo much it wasn't funny, lol.... I've learnt that for concrete racing tyre selection's a pretty important thing. You CAN get away with hard rubber tyres on the rear (eg: 50deg iwaver wides) BUT they're pretty much only good for low powered, stock cars. Otherwise they just break traction too much. Hence why we use foam tyres on the rear, bloody great traction!

So, here's a video of these two mr-02's in action. It's not small at 11MB, but it's worth it. Got an aussie soundtrack too, so nah!

http://www.woahnelly.com/stuff/mr02/bet ... racing.wmv

Enjoy,

ph2t.
People are mean to you because you're a fucking idiot.
MafiaS
bitGangsta'

Post by MafiaS »

HOLY SHIZNIZ...

I am so turned on at the moment. Killer vid gentlemen. Those things are mad crazy and fast.

.....I can't believe how sick that was.
SuperFly
bitPimp

Post by SuperFly »

Sweet! I notice you guys race in a generally clockwise direction. Hue and I always seem to race in a generally counter-clockwise direction. Do you suppose that's a northern vs. southern hemisphere kind of thing, like which way the water swirls in the toilet? :-)
breakyaface
bitHood

Post by breakyaface »

slick little movie :)
I also love the song, what is it called?

:D
I'd rather fly than die
betty.k
bitPimp

Post by betty.k »

SuperFly wrote:Do you suppose that's a northern vs. southern hemisphere kind of thing, like which way the water swirls in the toilet? :-)
definately! :lol:
the layout and direction are important, any other way and we'd be smacking into some chassis splitting cracks. the other way is more fun but too hard on the cars.
i have to swap the tyres from right to left often so they wear evenly every couple of runs, the front rubber tyres (40deg) wear ther fastest.
i used to be cool
MotorGong
bitNinja

Post by MotorGong »

Man, I'm commenting late here. I have no idea how I missed this thread, since I love the track section.
Cool video!! Each video I see of street racers (like yer MR-02s) makes me want to get one more and more.
It seems that those gaps in the concrete would cause bumps or interuptions in the racing. After watching the vid, it didn't seem to affect the racing at all!
Betty, I've seen plenty of cool videos in your backyard. So much now that I feel I've been there. :grin:
BattleField 2 Stats
"Please not in the fire's neighborhood, heat, that place the spirit swim to play or take care of." ...LxxChar-G Instruction Manual
betty.k
bitPimp

Post by betty.k »

man, if you can't draw a floor plan of my house from memory then you're new to rc! :lol:

like i said, the cracks aren't much of a problem if we run in that direction. they're all either "drop offs" or mild bumps. going the other way the cracks are mean enough to stop a z in it's tracks!

before setting up this track layout ph2t and i used to break all sorts of shit in my yard, sometimes in the space of seconds!
now we're discovering the joys of wearing parts out. i've actually worn out my first mclaren body! (broke it some too!) only time something breaks is when we slam into each other and it's usually a hplate.
things like knuckles and servo gears aren't an issue any more :-o
i used to be cool